Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Unintended suicide mode on Core sensor 2+ bars

Postby PullStrings » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:07 pm

deniska wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:33 pm
in 3 finger claws :-)
Yep had to pretty cold to wear that

You did have enough time to attach your leash to the safety ring that rest against the white stopper

But you never had the time to even attach your chicken loop in the hook and set donkey stick with the 3 finger claws

Helper with his back to you holding the kite a foot off the sand had butterfingers and the kite started flying away bye bye

At that very moment the white stopper was "already resting against the loop" and as soon as the tension on the lines happened it stayed there stuck tight

I'm sure this will not happen to you ever again because you will now make sure to "attach yourself completely" BEFORE helper grabs and sets up your kite

(When fully attached the white stopper drops down away from loop with no chance of getting caught )

That way if launch is botched and you judge there is danger you can twist the QR and it would flag to safety perfectly as designed

You sure caused your own "almost kitemare"

Man up on this one

Also before hooking in completely do what i do no matter what the wind speed is....practice & train your brain
Quick Release the chicken loop one time....re-assemble...then do it again a second time...re-assemble..attach leash to ring...attach to loop...set donkey stick
After doing all that you can either self launch or now ask for helper to handle your kite because you are now fully ready to go
Never multitask or rush a launch
That's when the vast majority of accidents happen
Stick to always doing the same routine
Do not deviate
Sometimes it's tough to think straight when it's blowing and real cold
Please be extra careful

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby deniska » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Pullstrings and the tream (you all know who you are)

Everybody already understood your "attack vector" : it's a cook show, done by kooks and will never ever happen to "normal" people.
I don't know why you keep repeating yourself with this tune.

However, if you ever found yourself actually kiting you would have realized that situations like this are very common even without any mistakes.
I find myself holding a powered kite by a chicken loop/rotator every time I do tethered self launch / land.. and for me it's 90% of time during winter months.
Some people on this very forum advocate the technique in which you don't hook up until the kite is flying..
In both of this situations, if a gust rips the CL out of your hand and the bar does not flag you risk becoming a tea bag.
So the issue is very real for a lot of people regardless of how many times you repeat your silly tune and give unsolicited advice.. just stop..

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 am

edt wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:07 pm
I am zero percent surprised that an entire kite population never sees these problems why? Most kiters don't throw their quick releases except for once or twice in ten years only when they "really have to." I throw my quick release at least two or three times a week, often to end a session. It would drive me absolutely batty if I was riding a bar that I had not thrown the quick release on in a year. I mean, how do you know it works? Crazy. But that's how most kiters ride. They only throw their quick release if it's a matter of life and death and god help them if it works or not. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't but they have no idea because they haven't thrown their quick release in years. I have demo-ed several control bars over the years where the quick release has failed in all kinds of fashions, the flag out line is too short, the line gets stuck in the flag out hole, the QR doesn't release under pressure, every kind of failure. People live with these control bars because they never test their quick releases. Again I don't get it. Why on earth would you ride a control bar and never test your QR until it's a matter of life or death? But that's how nearly every kiteboarder rides. Many kiters have told me how safe they are, how incredibly great they are at safety and their first boast to me is "I haven't used my QR in over ten years." I just look at them. "Not even to test it?" is what I'm thinking. But that's how they think they are safe.

Same on my local, and same with me. Never pulled. Why? Only riding on/cross shore wind directly to bush/trees, in 70cm shallows.

As a former paraglider pilot, we did not throw a reserve chute either. Just to test. Not sure about the sky diving but recon pretty similar. The life of a skydiver/paraglider depends way way more on the reflex muscle.

I do not think we test a car breaks/tires when going 100-150 kmh...It is what it is. We are humans, *hoping* for the best :)

So having long conversations about the q.release is useless in a bigger picture of the things. We would need to be robots, without a hope, to relay solely on this.

D.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:59 am

Deniska...i just had to bring this up.......the edit you did to your first post yesterday....by adding your YouTube video is incorrectly performed !!

It "does not match the picture" of the accidental snag where we see the donkey stick being in the locked position over the empty CL !!

In picture "the leash is attached correctly to the ring ".... from "under the chicken loop" as it is supposed to be

In your home video you "attached it going over the chicken loop" which is incorrect....nobody should attach a leash like that and think it will be safe !!

So your video is a bust

Looks like you cannot re-create in a lab your freak accident

Not giving you advice

Just pointing out the obvious

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 am

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:59 am
Deniska...i just had to bring this up.......the edit you did to your first post yesterday....by adding your YouTube video is incorrectly performed !!

It "does not match the picture" of the accidental snag where we see the donkey stick being in the locked position over the empty CL !!

In picture "the leash is attached correctly to the ring ".... from "under the chicken loop" as it is supposed to be

In your home video you "attached it going over the chicken loop" which is incorrect....nobody should attach a leash like that and think it will be safe !!

So your video is a bust

Looks like you cannot re-create in a lab your freak accident

Not giving you advice

Just pointing out the obvious
Keep smoking your shit dude.. but you contribute nothing of a value to this topic.. grow up and be an adult and not a troll..
Toby take a note.
I wanted to warn fellow kiters of a serious issue but have to deal with this circus clown on CORE payroll or drugs..
same guy who knew the confidential info of the Turkish guy who stared one of the other CORE threads...
time to moderate, dont you think?
his comments don't contribute anything to to topic.. and the agenda is obvious.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:09 am

downunder wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 am

Same on my local, and same with me. Never pulled. Why? Only riding on/cross shore wind directly to bush/trees, in 70cm shallows.

As a former paraglider pilot, we did not throw a reserve chute either. Just to test. Not sure about the sky diving but recon pretty similar. The life of a skydiver/paraglider depends way way more on the reflex muscle.

I do not think we test a car breaks/tires when going 100-150 kmh...It is what it is. We are humans, *hoping* for the best :)

So having long conversations about the q.release is useless in a bigger picture of the things. We would need to be robots, without a hope, to relay solely on this.

D.
it depend on riding style and local conditions.. if your thing is hydrofoiling in 12kts with a 7meter kite (there is nothing wrong with that) in stable wind conditions, then your chances of needing a QR are slim to none... But if you like to ride powered in high wind and the wind is gusty.. you better change your attitude toward QR.. there are plenty of places with "15 gusting to 30" or worse conditions... and people treat QR as last line of defense.. Summer in NYC, I never check QR.. who cares! .. but winter wind, I find myself using it at least once a month...
just a different perspective

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:08 am

I ride well powered, and have a height records on Woo @my local.

This does not change my attitude at all. Try to practice throwing a reserve chute, or sudden car breaking with 120km/h...

Sounds ridiculous? It is the matter of life and death too...I bet million bucks no one here is practicing sudden high speed breaking. Why? Because we put a lot of hope in the gear and our self's. And airbags, etc.

People are more concerned of breaking/loosing gear then anything else. Always do, always will. Plus, the ruined image of "confident" rider.

Why do you guys think that there is a huge tendency of self launching? Huge, massive on AU beaches?

Peacock attitude. If we really think that pulling a safety is less dangerous than self launching, well than.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:43 am

Oh, the wonders of the Internet: nitpicking over insignificant details.

The brakes of a car gets tested every time you use them to decelerate and I highly doubt you leave your reserve parachute packed for years and then trust it to function.

Same with a QR, you don't need to punch out in high winds to make sure it works. Just a regular inspection and check if everything runs freely and make sure it becomes second nature to activate it when needed.
That is how you can rely on it to work when the shit hits the fan instead of taking a big leap of faith in an untested device that has been idle for ages.
These users thanked the author evan for the post (total 2):
Toby (Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:45 am) • deniska (Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:39 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Deniska: you mentioned your broken bar...did Core take care about it?

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:42 pm
Deniska: you mentioned your broken bar...did Core take care about it?
are you talking about the one that became 2 pieces a couple of years ago?
or the recent picture with DD falling off? (for this I'd love to get a new elastic robe or maybe a few, as I don't think they last long in cold temps.. I would not bother asking for a warranty replacement for this 20cent part, but it would probably cost me about 30-50 bucks to get is from CORE USA w/o warranty.. and that was already discussed in the other CORE thread, started by another guy)
I had received 2 bars as warranty replacements from CORE over the years.
Both pretty straight forward cases that even most keystroke fighters here would not dare to argue with. (Although I am sure Pullstrings will have his rant on what I did wrong to break a bar a half, employing his spectacular photo/video analysis).
I only keep bringing this up to show that the company has a history of bad design decisions or crappy QA.
They used to have great customer service that partially compensated for these short comings, but it's getting worse now, at least in USA.

Return to “Kitesurfing”