deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Unintended suicide mode on Core sensor 2+ bars

Postby deniska » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:12 am

I had a botched launch today.. The chicken loop somehow separated from the hook on a gust and I found myself in unintended suicide mode thanks to famous German Engineering (look up my other thread on that)...
I think that PU tube is too stiff in low temps.
After watching it a few times, I guess I could flag it by turning the rotator release.. (not that it always worked for me before)
The donkey dick got too lose after ~2 months on this brand new bar.
The previous bar kept letting me down no matter how many $$$ I put in to it.. multiple snapped lines, rust, etc
I find this design unacceptable... be aware!
core_bar.jpg

[EDIT] adding a short video to better present this issue.

Keep in mind while doing this at room temps will result in release at relatively low force, at around 0 Celcius the flag out line PU gets stiff enough to drag you with force w/o flagging out.
Last edited by deniska on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Unintended suicide mode on CORE sensor 2+ bars

Postby evan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:15 am

The core bar I had to service did have the s-tube in the chickenloop so full of sand that it took several hard tugs with my full body weight to get the flagout line free. Enough force to get dragged in water or a wet grass surface with a deadlooping kite without ever flagging it.

Looks a lot like your situation, so make sure the tube where the flagout line runs through is totally free of sand! They should have given the flagout line more space so a little sand doesn't totally jam it inside the stainless curved tube.

Evan - Infexion

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: Unintended suicide mode on Core sensor 2+ bars

Postby james » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:19 am

Shoot the guy that let it go before you had two hands on the bar?

Around 26 seconds it looks like you point at the jam? Isn’t that an odd reaction and then grab above rather than try and open the release?

Is there a version with the original audio?

Glad you are safe, plenty of room there thankfully too.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:11 pm

Also at 22seconds the DD is pointing over the top of your left hand miles away from securing the c loop to the harness hook.

Was that something you missed when setting up?

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:33 pm

james wrote: Around 26 seconds it looks like you point at the jam? Isn’t that an odd reaction and then grab above rather than try and open the release?
I think you misinterpret my gestures in 3 finger claws :-)
I think I just tried to reach for the CL and see if I could re-hook as the kite was not going nuts in the air.
when I saw the flag out line jam I decided to either land or release the kite (if flagging would not work). That's why I sent it on the other side of the window (not to lose it to the sea in the event of full release)
evan wrote: The core bar I had to service did have the s-tube in the chickenloop so full of sand that it took several hard tugs with my full body weight to get the flagout line free. Enough force to get dragged in water or a wet grass surface with a deadlooping kite without ever flagging it.

Looks a lot like your situation, so make sure the tube where the flagout line runs through is totally free of sand! They should have given the flagout line more space so a little sand doesn't totally jam it inside the stainless curved tube.
I had jams due to sand too with this bar design. They lead to delayed release (took 2 seconds for that line to finally go through the tight tube). This time I think the main culprit was the stopper ball hooking on to CL and the PU tubing not soft enough to bend..
Not a huge deal in my particular case, but if you get caught with this crazy powered on the water this could be a real problem, imho. I intentionally don't rig suicide when I go out on 30kt days, so I can bail on a squall but still have my kite attached to me for a swim.. The fact that this bar has all sorts of release issues is really worrisome..

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:51 pm

deniska wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:12 am
I had a botched launch today.. The chicken loop somehow separated from the hook on a gust and I found myself in unintended suicide mode thanks to famous German Engineering (look up my other thread on that)...
I think that PU tube is too stiff in low temps.
After watching it a few times, I guess I could flag it by turning the rotator release.. (not that it always worked for me before)
The donkey dick got too lose after ~2 months on this brand new bar.
The previous bar kept letting me down no matter how many $$$ I put in to it.. multiple snapped lines, rust, etc
I find this design unacceptable... be aware!
core_bar.jpg

So the problem is the safety line did not slide freely through the hole in the chickenloop? I am not sure how turning the rotator release would help? Or did it not flag out because the little white ball got jammed against the chickenloop?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:01 pm

so scary moving it near land. There's all kinds of stuff on land that can damage your kite: trees bushes rocks. I would have left over the water, less likely to get damaged there also that's your launcher wouldn't have had to run so far. Glad nobody got hurt, looks like it was blowing 30 knots. I would get rid of a QR that does this. End of story. There are enough QR's that never do this no reason to fly a control bar system that has this hazard.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:47 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:01 pm
so scary moving it near land. There's all kinds of stuff on land that can damage your kite: trees bushes rocks. I would have left over the water, less likely to get damaged there also that's your launcher wouldn't have had to run so far. Glad nobody got hurt, looks like it was blowing 30 knots. I would get rid of a QR that does this. End of story. There are enough QR's that never do this no reason to fly a control bar system that has this hazard.
As you can see the kite liked that other side of the window better (probably because I always loop it one way and the lines/bridles stretched unevenly). Plus there was a bit of wind shade behind the dune so it felt safer to do it there.. it worked out OK. I relaunched 2 minutes later and had a great paragliding session.. yes it was around 30kts..
Laughingman wrote: So the problem is the safety line did not slide freely through the hole in the chickenloop? I am not sure how turning the rotator release would help? Or did it not flag out because the little white ball got jammed against the chickenloop?

I think it was mostly because of the white ball and stiff PU.. Once the kite was down I was able to slide the flag out line.. but maybe some sand got out.. who knows..

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:27 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:01 pm
I agree, lose that POS QR...

A bit off topic but this is exactly why I always launch when ever possible with the pilot closest to the water. Even though Deniska says he brought it to that side on purpose if you look at the video the kite was 2/3 of the way there before he got control of it. Every mishap I have seen at the time of launch the kite always crashes on the other side of the window or downwind of the opposite side.
Had they done that the kite would have launched and flown over the water at that time he could have either set it down in the water or brought it back to land but he would be a full line length further away from the hazards.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Two hands on the bar - how about the person that promotes on the forum launching unhooked? Ha Ha! (Don't ask me to launch you unhooked!)

WTF did happen here? did the flagging line get jammed? Can the original poster please elaborate.

Thanks

james wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:19 am
Shoot the guy that let it go before you had two hands on the bar?

Around 26 seconds it looks like you point at the jam? Isn’t that an odd reaction and then grab above rather than try and open the release?

Is there a version with the original audio?

Glad you are safe, plenty of room there thankfully too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”