Unintended suicide mode on Core sensor 2+ bars

Forum for kitesurfers
james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: Unintended suicide mode on Core sensor 2+ bars

Postby james » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Man that can’t be bothered to fix stuff calling out someone for not being bothered to read...

We all know you have this weird hard on for core yet keep using thier gear,
Posters have legit questions about the launch and you bat it away as being unfair criticism, you use the gear in some pretty shitty conditions, say it’s new, then is three months old, then post 2015 bars which have nothing to do with the Issue you highlight.

I tell you what, go get the ozone kites, use the foils in the conditions in those vids then comeback with the horror stories.

Bagging Toby because your mate can do a sent pass? Oh wow what a fucking hero! I guess we all suck?

Matteo, the floor is yours...

Deniska

Honestly if You had checked the c loop was secured correctly, if your helper had not thrown you under the bus the issue would not have happened.

At 22secs you can see the DD pointing over the back of your hand indecating something wasn’t right with the set up.

Failure to check your gear can be pinned on the brand

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby deniska » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:43 pm

james wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Honestly if You had checked the c loop was secured correctly, if your helper had not thrown you under the bus the issue would not have happened.

At 22secs you can see the DD pointing over the back of your hand indecating something wasn’t right with the set up.

Failure to check your gear can be pinned on the brand
I stated in the beginning that it was a botched launch. The helper let go before I was ready. we all understand that this could have been avoided..no tragedy.. no big deal.. the post is not about that
it's about design defects in the bar.
if you look at one of preceding posts from Poolstrings it summarizes the issue.
it has nothing to do with how the bar was maintained and how old was it.
I have receipts for this bar from mid december so it's 2months old. I only used it a handful of times for high wind only. I use old bar for regular days..
so yes I consider it new. maybe your standards are different

I posted old pics just to show that it's not me being terrible with my gear.. if a bar breaks in 2 it has noting to do with maintenance.. when you borrow another bar from some one on the same day and it snaps 15min later.. it's not me being irresponsible with gear. I have plenty of more recent stuff too.. and much more that was never caught on video.
I had flag out line jammed due to sand too a couple of months ago.. took some yanking and about 2 seconds for it to release..
others reported the same issue..

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:59 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:01 pm
Despite the forum warriors giving you lots of 'advice', thanks for sharing, it may help others avoid a very serious situation.
glad that at least some people understand the purpose of this post.
I have problems with other gear too.. but most of it is not worth posting about. Like I lost nobile alu-foil because they have stupid-weak inserts and the damn thing just broke off and sank.
tough luck but who cares.
Not being able to flag on demand is one of my biggest fears really.. thus this post.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:30 pm

deniska wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:59 pm
Not being able to flag on demand is one of my biggest fears really.. thus this post.
It did not flag that's for sure....that's a fact...picture to prove it
On demand normally means to twist the QR to open up the chicken loop so it flags out
There was "no" on demand in this case

You just were not hooked in with chicken stick in place holding your bar "before" your helper lifted your kite into position

Please guys don't have your helper hold your kite up in that kind of wind or any wind..."before" or "while" you are trying to hook in

So the whole bar flew away from you and darn stopper got stuck along with the stiff PU tube in cold temp...not on demand... suicide mode

Chances of this happening again...one in a million....so yes there is still a chance.....so launch with helper using the proper sequence...you first...then helper
Not the other way around

:beer:
These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post:
james (Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:31 pm

If the launch wasn’t botched as in the random DD position in the video at 22seconds not having control of the bar etc can you say 100% that the kite wouldn’t have flagged correctly on activation of the safety?
These users thanked the author james for the post:
PullStrings (Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Imo unintened suicide mode shouldn't be possible with any bar ever...

I wonder if the plastic safety line part on North bars can give you the same problem if the DD is in the way... (I use that one myself btw, but I'm riding suicide anyways)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:51 pm

deniska wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:22 pm
love the ozone bar.. I have one for 4 years and it never let me down.. but I only fly my 17 Zephyr on it..
Going forward, I am thinking of jumping the CORE ship and going to Ozones.. some mix of Chronos, Edges and hyperlinks
I have Ozone bars (50cm and 55cm) with SK99 lines but splice my own trim lines and because I never unhook don't use a CL/DD, and have rope on my harness (no hook), so far less parts to fail or get tangled up.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:31 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:30 pm

Chances of this happening again...one in a million....so yes there is still a chance.....so launch with helper using the proper sequence...you first...then helper
We don't know the chances. Could be one in a million could be 1 in 10. The only way to know for sure is grab a Core bar and start throwing the QR in different situations see what happens.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:54 pm

That is what got stuck with the chicken loop not opened up
Look at OP picture on page 1

Reason : the stopper sides are flat and it cannot slide off the loop...therefore stuck...therefore as if in suicide mode

If it would have been a round shape it would have slid right off and this thread would not exist
Maybe Core should improve their stopper shape to avoid this kind of unfortunate situation....In meantime Deniska should switch it to one of theses so it becomes foolproof 100%

Last edited by PullStrings on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Stop throwing the guy under the bus, the bar obviously had issues, yeah the launch was poor. Bars have to not only be fool proof, it had to be damn fool proof. Great feed back for Core, hope they are listening and act on it.
These users thanked the author Kitetwin-1 for the post (total 2):
deniska (Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:31 am) • badgb21 (Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:41 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”