Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

woo vs gopro

Postby edt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:31 pm

If you gopro yourself you get to see if you have style. Maybe you have style. Maybe you lack style. Gopro will show you in the video.

If you woo, it doesn't matter if you crash the landing. Woo always gives you a number. No need for style. You want to woost, put up a limp stiffy? Woo likes that.

If you gopro yourself, you can see if you are improving or if you are just doing the same tricks over and over. It's only after the session is over and you go back and look at your video, you can count just how many tricks you did that were old and how many tricks you did that were new.

Woo doesn't want you to do new stuff. Woo likes it if you do the same jump over and over. Just one more jump exactly the same as the last jump, only a tiny bit higher.

If it's a cloudy overcast day with terrible lighting, gopros can't make it beautiful for you. But if it's beautiful day you get to go back and look at it again, and remember just how beautiful it was.

Woo doesn't care if it's beautiful or ugly. Woo only has numbers.

If you gopro yourself, it can see if you did a megaloop or if you just did a simple jump. Then if you share it, everyone can see. No that wasn't a megaloop after all.

Woo doesn't care if you megaloop. In fact it's better if you don't. You can jump higher.

Just think about it. Do you want to woo? Or do you want to gopro.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: woo vs gopro

Postby andylc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:11 pm

I think I’ll just not bother with either, if you don’t mind.

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:43 pm

I have both, and barely use either .

For me I just love the session and enjoy it for myself mostly.

Definatley the gopro is good sometimes to see why and how your trick went wrong but I prefer it when somebody else is making the footage .

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 pm

andylc wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:11 pm
I think I’ll just not bother with either, if you don’t mind.
good answer

Goavegas
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grado
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Tarifa ,
Gear: Cabrinha FX 10 - 8 X-Caliber

Postby Goavegas » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:53 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:31 pm
If you gopro yourself you get to see if you have style. Maybe you have style. Maybe you lack style. Gopro will show you in the video.

If you woo, it doesn't matter if you crash the landing. Woo always gives you a number. No need for style. You want to woost, put up a limp stiffy? Woo likes that.

If you gopro yourself, you can see if you are improving or if you are just doing the same tricks over and over. It's only after the session is over and you go back and look at your video, you can count just how many tricks you did that were old and how many tricks you did that were new.

Woo doesn't want you to do new stuff. Woo likes it if you do the same jump over and over. Just one more jump exactly the same as the last jump, only a tiny bit higher.

If it's a cloudy overcast day with terrible lighting, gopros can't make it beautiful for you. But if it's beautiful day you get to go back and look at it again, and remember just how beautiful it was.

If you gopro yourself, it can see if you did a megaloop or if you just did a simple jump. Then if you share it, everyone can see. No that wasn't a megaloop after all.

Woo doesn't care if you megaloop. In fact it's better if you don't. You can jump higher.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:17 pm

What about the WOO in Freestyle mode where it scores different aspects of your tricks and sessions??

What about the WOO synced to your Gopro footage to make a WOOvie??

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Interesting rant.. let's review:
edt wrote:
It's actually quite hard to get good footage with gopro. You either a dot on a video or it's blurry, foggy, shaky.. and it's just 2 hours of that :-)... maybe I am wrong, but show me a decent FPV with style (preferably your own production) and maybe I'll change my mind.
edt wrote:
Well technically woo gives you 2 numbers and that 5-10G landing will give away that you crashed.
With gopro you usually have 2 options to record your big boosts -mount it on the beach and have yourself recorded as one pixel, or do FPV, and unless you jump over some fixed size objects, 10 ft vs 50ft jumps will look exactly the same in most conditions.
edt wrote:
Most of common "dynamic" mounting options don't give you good angles for most tricks, imho. Fixed mount give you a limitation that you have to be in a specific tight spot to be seen.. again going through 2 hours of footage most of which is just lawn moving is not fun..
edt wrote:
have you seen freestyle/wake modes?

most of other observations basically boil to following:
GOPRO requires some work and dedication to get good footage. Ideally you have someone to film you.
If you are on your own, it really makes it hard work to get any decent footage and that takes away from the session.
woo is not that intrusive. I disagree with the claim that it pushes you to go the highest on every jump.. why not just do your usual kung fu and only remember that it's on when a squall is coming?
These users thanked the author deniska for the post:
Pemba (Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:12 am)
Rating: 3.03%

prop_joe
Frequent Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:38 pm

edt wrote:

So you're saying if you want to measure height get a woo but if you want to take video get a go pro...? A little bit out there but i'm open minded, been wondering why my woo vids are so sh*t! :lol:

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:49 pm

lolol

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:57 am

right tools for the right job...
sometime gopro tells your story better.. like this time woo did not show anything to compete with everyone else's lawn mowing session..

other times you look at your FPV footage after a good session and it just does not look that exciting on gopro (at least w/o some visual aids like speed gauge)
the woo says I got 13+m and apparently I was flying directly downwind at 30mph on that jump.. but on gopro from FPV angle it does not look much different from a 5m jump..
30mph.png

Return to “Kitesurfing”