Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Sector 60 V3

Forum for kitesurfers
Christian L
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade kites, a couple of different TT´s and a Sector 60 V3.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Airush Sector 60 V3

Postby Christian L » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:05 am

Hi guys and girls.

Just bought me a Sector 60 V3 and I am looking for an advice. Have searched the forum without any luck. Can anybody tell me the pros and cons for one or two backstrap setup? Tried it yesterday with two strap setup, but it feels like I´m very close to the edge on the board? I´m considering riding with a one backstrap configuration.

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Re: Airush Sector 60 V3

Postby ScoopZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:17 pm

I think the fins were found to be on the small side to get the most out of the more race inspired strap position upwind, it is freeride board after all.

They went with 3 straps and 3 fins from the V5 and dropped 2 boxes, I never upgraded mine, I do need to revisit this board.

Hope someone with more time on it can help.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:41 pm

HI if 60 wide...go with double strap in front, one in the back is ok but if possible 2 in the back is best, my opinion.
Just make the straps in the back wide and high enough so your foot comes in deep, so your heel is not touching water.
The trick with these wide boards is when riding upwind, to position the kite in such a way that you lift the side which is opposite to your kite, just a little bit, you will see the board becomes very soft like hoovering over the water and gets high speed.
You will never experience this in a one backstrap setup with the V3 ( is the V3 with a 4 fin or 3 fin setup?

The V5 which I have in 54 is the real funboard, I have had V1/V2/V2 competition/ V4 ( terrible controle in higer winds, fast in the lowest winds) all 60 and I love the 54 the most, my biggest kite is a 12 Ozone REO which I put on 28m lines and you need some technique but I can use it when others fly their 18 to 15m kites...I weigh 82kg.

The 60 wide boards will get you going very early with the right technique and kite...but once in a while you will swim too, as the kites hits the water, in those light condtions the kite is too heavy to relaunch, ( tube kite)

Christian L
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade kites, a couple of different TT´s and a Sector 60 V3.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Christian L » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks a lot from your advices and infos. The board can be setup with a 3 or 4 fin. I run it now with 4 fins for the stability. I think I neee a little more wind than last time ( 10 knots ), because of my lack of teqniqe now. I am a heavy rider too, around 90 kg with gear on and my biggest kite is a 12m switchblade. Will definitely try the teqnique you described Naishdude.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:43 pm

I have 82 kg and a Ozone reo 12m with a sector V5 54 wide, three fin setup and they are more slalom fins not race.

I think you can manage the 10 kts with a 4 fin setup, and 28m lines...but the kite will be slow, not that you need a fast kite ( fast in turning or sining) but you will need technique , also in those low winds( for a 12m) you should train the backloop/ downloop with jibing , this will give you a steady pull through out the jibing maneuvre because it will place the kite where you need it, coming out of the jibe thus keeping the speed, where the regular jibe you will have to steer the kite one more time down and up, in that moment you loose the speed in the board ( in 10 knts)
be sure to let your kite "breathe" meaning: avoid pulling the bar in...keep a open kite in light winds, even when you start tacking upwind, you should learn to pull some depower, you will see the kite move more forward into the windwindow and you will be tacking upwind with ease and without too much upperleg pain.

Lightwind is an art of itself, it takes much more skills to go out in 10knts and keep it all going than with 20knts ( not with the sector and 12M then :P )

try to find enough info and you will see that these boards can bring fun when you get the right techniques and tickle the last bit out of them...remeber swimming back onshore might happen too... :naughty:

cheers
dude :cool2:

Return to “Kitesurfing”