Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What kiteboard shape?

Forum for kitesurfers
vol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru
Style: hydrofoil, bigair, freestyle
Gear: Saul Custom Boards

What kiteboard shape?

Postby vol » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering what kiteboard shapes you prefer, and why.
How do you think your board outline, rocker, concaves or channels influence your kiteboarding?
What in your opinion is the importance ratio of board to kite in kiteboarding?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: What kiteboard shape?

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:50 pm

Similar to surfing - right board for the conditions, except you dont need to consider the paddle ability which is awesome.

Sometimes a slower board is better, bigger, flat rockered, larger volumed boards get out of control quickly kiting

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:48 pm

The range of boards that you can actually ride with a kite is amazing. No other water sport is even close. This is mostly due to the ability to use lift from the kite to reduce your effective weight, or keep the kite low to maximize your total weight. The power stroke from a large "wind-window" used in kiting also allows more STARTING power vs total system weight than almost any other motorized water/snow sport.

So I like the OP's question, but it needs to be qualified by asking "what are you going for" given the wide range of feel that a huge selection of boards and styles allows you to pursue.

vol
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru

Postby vol » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:35 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:50 pm
Similar to surfing - right board for the conditions, except you dont need to consider the paddle ability which is awesome.

Sometimes a slower board is better, bigger, flat rockered, larger volumed boards get out of control quickly kiting
longwhitecloud agree with you, for freestyle slower is better, you don't lose control, better landings...
but also not to slow because I see some riders are struggling with big rockered boards, always not enough power...

vol
Frequent Poster

Postby vol » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:44 am

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:48 pm
So I like the OP's question, but it needs to be qualified by asking "what are you going for" given the wide range of feel that a huge selection of boards and styles allows you to pursue.
I guess most riders are freeriders, cruising, some jumps, a bit unhooked tricks, what kind of shame do you choose for that?

globaltb
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Central America, NJ coast, Caribbean
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters, Firewire Vanguard, Vader, Evo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby globaltb » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:14 am

I have different Tomo no-nose shapes in my quiver and love them for kiting (strapless in strong winds and choppy windswell) and every time I try 'normal' surfboards when renting it feels boring. No-nose pro's: Upwind is better, can load them with more speed, eat-up chop (if channeled), stable for transitions and airs. Con's: wide tail not as snappy, too much tail for steeper waves? In the end personal preference, suggest you try a few different shapes. Cheers.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:18 am

Crazy lots of rocker is good for wave riding shape in a TT. Flat is better for upwind but won't surf as well.

If a directional board is flat, you are going need straps (or a narrow tail) to surf it. Straps can indirectly add rocker by being able to pull up the front strap. Flat strapless kitesurfboards are better for flat water and upwind capabilities.

vol wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:44 am
I guess most riders are freeriders, cruising, some jumps, a bit unhooked tricks, what kind of sha(p)e do you choose for that?
You can use anything for a different feel. Again, kites allow a nearly endless selection of board types, and inside of those types you have different shapes. All work and all do somethings good, and other things bad. If you asked this question of windsurfing boards and specified a sail size, rider skill & weight, and location, you would have a very narrow selection of shape all within the same type of board. With that same situation/condition in kitesurfing, I even enjoy the different feels of different boards across many types that are all usable. You could never ride a skimboard with a windsurfing sail. Nor could you ride a wakeboard with a windsurfing sail. And there are still board types that have yet to be invented or used in kitesurfing/kiteboarding.

Return to “Kitesurfing”