Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why isn't sliding rope bar more prevalent?

Forum for kitesurfers
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Why isn't sliding rope bar more prevalent?

Postby lovethepirk » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:34 am

I bought a Dynabar months after I first started years ago b/c it just made sense to me to have more freedom. I'm more advanced now and really don't know any better. I'm mostly hydrofoiling now and the only thing that is weird to me is when I boost big on the hydrofoil I may go into unintended frontrolls which I embrace now and land 50-50. I'd say I will go into an unintended frontoll on the hydro once per session. I have a small suspicion it may be because during takeoff I may launch out of the water with the pressure on the rope away from the center of the bar.

I'm really curious if anyone has dissected this in their own riding. Also wondering why or if anyone in KOTA has ever used it? I really enjoy the rope spreader bar.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Why isn't sliding rope bar more prevalent?

Postby grigorib » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:59 am

I jumped with a rope just one session and that felt so damn weird I'm back to ride hook with TT. I prefer a fixed connection point when I'm up in the air since there's bar movement needed and I don't want to bother thinking whether I moved myself on the rope holding the bar or whether I moved the bar.
Also couple of my friends managed to get those ropes break on them and for me jumping with a rope spreader bar is a no.

I hope U-bolts will become prevalent on spreader bar and we'll see more elegant and simple chickenloop replacement once unhooked wakestyle is no longer a major money maker for manufacturers.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Has thanked: 0

Postby lovethepirk » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:15 am

grigorib wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:59 am
Also couple of my friends managed to get those ropes break on them and for me jumping with a rope spreader bar is a no.
grig,

I hear you on the jumping issue although I only see that issue with the hydro...but again, I'm so removed from the fixed point I cannot compare...I don't feel any issue doing big jumps and downloop with the rope, but for some reason I'm having unintended frontrolls with the hydro, when I'm actual bad at trying real frontrolls with the hydro. I can do frontrolls all day day long on a tt no problem. I will say I'm curious on hand drag kiteloops...b/c I feel my kite lacks turning ability on those, but I got a new kite and have not had a chance to try the new kite with those. During the hand drag I'm wondering if the sliding rings causes a delay.

About the broken rope....just use two ropes. I'm testing a new rope as you can see in white. I put both these ropes in 2 months ago at the same time. I am going to change the dyneema soon and just let the white rope go until failure or wear. I set up the rope system to take the load on the grey dyneem last time, this time I will set it up for the white rope and see how she does. Regardless, two ropes, one slightly longer than the other is the solution. :D

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:37 am

I think the sliding rope is great for riding a directional where you are toeside a ton, I think that's pretty much a given, and yes, use 2 independent ropes.

Far as jumping that's the one time I'd rather have a fixed hook. Boosting on a rope is possible, but I'd rather have the hook.

With that said, I ride a sliding rope pretty much all of the time because I'm riding about 90% of the time on a strapless surfboard.

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:55 am

grigorib wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:59 am
...we'll see more elegant and simple chickenloop replacement once unhooked wakestyle is no longer a major money maker for manufacturers.
I'm using the Slingshot Talon chicken loop replacement with a Ride Engine slider... I like it so far. It takes a lot of length out of the setup which alleviates the long reach when sheeted out, especially when getting overpowered. I haven't used it enough times to say it's the best thing ever, but so far so good.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:55 am

Like almost everything in this sport, it is all very personal. Depends on conditions and how you want to ride. For me, I’ve been using a rope for a couple of years on surfboards (strapped & strapless) and foil. I like it but use a shorter rope (doubled) so it doesn’t slide as far. Still get the benefit of toeside ease but don’t lose as much depower and solves the jumping problem as well. Increases the throw a bit and This is related to the other thread about QR use it forces you to use your qr on the launch and landing every time you go out, so not only are you sure it is not stuck but it builds muscle memory. Also, it is much harder to unhook by accident. Overall, I have tried to go back to the hook setup and don’t like it at all anymore, I’ll keep the slider.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
Archer77 (Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:40 am

I loved the slider while learning to hydrofoil.. really helped with toeside tacks, imho.
Once I progressed to jumping it felt a little weird and with less control.. not a huge deal, actually..
But my biggest issue with it was self launching in powered conditions (so that you go bigger on hydrofoil)
I never figured how to do an LEI tethered launch with the damn thing...
Messing with a chicken loop in low wind conditions is one thing.. resetting it while really powered.. is way more challenging than using the hook, for me...

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:49 am

I cut off my bar hook over 2 years ago.
and after trying many different methods of securing x2 6mm dynema lines, came up with a system that works perfectly, each line is independent, easy to replace if needed, never yet had to since I changed to the new North sliding rope chicken loop with the stainless steel "loop" that works so well.
there is no need to buy a specified harness for this job, its so easy to convert the standard spreader bar to the best sliding bar out there and easy to adjust the throw by elongating the lines or shortening them.
Once you get used to the slightly loose feel of your hips being able to swivel around (which is so useful for many things not only toeside riding) you may wonder why anyone puts up with that standard hook.
Near everyone has experienced unintentional loop release, never again with a double rope slider, so much safer than the old hook.
However there are some scary single line spreader systems in use out there, with worn ropes, using sticky hard rubber type chicken loops, these I would avoid big time.
2 lines secured independently,
north type stainless steel mini chicken loop,
which fits all north bars and also fits the Ozone bar, the new north rope chicken loop is a direct replacement on the Ozone bar from recent years, the newer clip in system one.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
Archer77 (Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:29 pm)

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 am

deniska wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:40 am
I loved the slider while learning to hydrofoil.. really helped with toeside tacks, imho.
Once I progressed to jumping it felt a little weird and with less control.. not a huge deal, actually..
But my biggest issue with it was self launching in powered conditions (so that you go bigger on hydrofoil)
I never figured how to do an LEI tethered launch with the damn thing...
Messing with a chicken loop in low wind conditions is one thing.. resetting it while really powered.. is way more challenging than using the hook, for me...
easily fixed by using the newish Ozone clip in chicken loop, its brilliant and even works when full of gritty sand, I agree that trying to re set a standard chicken loop would be far too difficult with a powered up kite.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
deniska (Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:55 am)

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:58 am

One gets used to riding TT with rope spreader bar even had a megaloop session once with it just takes couple sessions to get used to it... now when switching back to fixed it’s no big deal both feel great but the rope is wayyyyy more comfy and easy to ride toeside :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”