Postby Lazze » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi,

Anyone have some info on this kite ?

Thanks

Lasse

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rrd Obsession MK11

Postby iriejohn » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Use Google, plenty of links.

Lazze
Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Rrd Obsession pro
Rrd Poisen V5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lazze » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:27 am

A product video is not really what I was looking for ;)
If someone in here is riding that kite, it would be nice with some feedback.

Lasse

X-Fly
Rare Poster
Weight: 65
Local Beach: La Palmyre
Style: Freestyle / big air
Gear: Ozone Enduro V2 11/9/7

Postby X-Fly » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:08 pm

Hello,

I give a second life for this old and only post about the RRD Obsession MK11. Anybody has tested this kite or ride with it ?
I am looking for a freestyle kite with high aspect ratio but in 4 lines.

I already rode : Vegas, Krush, RPM, Park, Dash, Dice, FX, and now Enduro. Enduro is very stable and predicable but it misses a bit slack and the sweet spot for unhook is not enough large for me.

Thanks in advance for your reports :)

aendorphin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Fonyód (Hungary), Aendorphin Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lefkada Milos Beach
Style: Big Air, Kiteloop
Gear: Board: RRD Style Biax v2
Kites: RRD Obsession 13.5m, 10.5m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Kiteline, RRD

Postby aendorphin » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:54 pm

I was riding Obsession MK8, MK9, MK10, MK11, Y25 for 1 year each. I have a lot of experience with them
What exactly do you want to know?

Much different than the MK10 edition. It is more "powerful". It has stonger pop. Slack is not ideal with this kite, I'm still amazed how Adeuri could be Freestyle Vice Champ with this kite twice. I could improve on wakestyle with it though.
MK10 was easier to jump high.
Loops were catching you easier with the MK10. This has very radical loop but I enjoyed it
The best thing in this kite was the "response". The 14m was very good for hangtime. Landing was pretty easy with this kite. You almost just sheet the bar in, and it softens your landing.

I have my videos with them as well MK11

And I have one good video with the Y25, that is almost the same as the MK11

I'm also selling my Obsession Y25 9m, 10.5m, 14m
If you are interested send me message
These users thanked the author aendorphin for the post:
X-Fly (Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:46 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:18 pm

X-Fly
Did you set the Enduro bridle to freestyle or leave it in the center stock position?

X-Fly
Rare Poster

Postby X-Fly » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:52 pm

aendorphin wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:54 pm
I was riding Obsession MK8, MK9, MK10, MK11, Y25 for 1 year each. I have a lot of experience with them
What exactly do you want to know?

Much different than the MK10 edition. It is more "powerful". It has stonger pop. Slack is not ideal with this kite, I'm still amazed how Adeuri could be Freestyle Vice Champ with this kite twice. I could improve on wakestyle with it though.
MK10 was easier to jump high.
Loops were catching you easier with the MK10. This has very radical loop but I enjoyed it
The best thing in this kite was the "response". The 14m was very good for hangtime. Landing was pretty easy with this kite. You almost just sheet the bar in, and it softens your landing.

I'm also selling my Obsession Y25 9m, 10.5m, 14m
If you are interested send me message
Thanks for your reply. I think I already read your review on the MK10 (in Hungary ?)).

I would like to know the abilities of the kite (MK11) on freestyle (pop ? slack lines ?) and also the general behaviours of the kite : stability (because it is like a C-shape but with a short bridle), behaviour with strong and gusty wind...

My practise is unhooked freestyle in bottom-middle end of the wind range, and then big air / loops.

X-Fly
Rare Poster

Postby X-Fly » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:57 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:18 pm
X-Fly
Did you set the Enduro bridle to freestyle or leave it in the center stock position?
Yes, I use the bridle setting on "freestyle mode" : it give a more direct feeling and pop, but not really more slack lines. It is good but it could be better ;)
I like the feeling and the stability of the Enduro, but I think it is a "too open" c-shape ;)

aendorphin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Fonyód (Hungary), Aendorphin Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lefkada Milos Beach
Style: Big Air, Kiteloop
Gear: Board: RRD Style Biax v2
Kites: RRD Obsession 13.5m, 10.5m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Kiteline, RRD

Postby aendorphin » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:28 am

X-Fly wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:52 pm
Thanks for your reply. I think I already read your review on the MK10 (in Hungary ?)).

I would like to know the abilities of the kite (MK11) on freestyle (pop ? slack lines ?) and also the general behaviours of the kite : stability (because it is like a C-shape but with a short bridle), behaviour with strong and gusty wind...

My practise is unhooked freestyle in bottom-middle end of the wind range, and then big air / loops.
Yes, that was my review using it in Hungary. I was really amazed by that kite. And I still use the 9m size in high winds

MK11 and Y25 is very similar. The Y25 has some "upgrades": thinner leading edge tube on big sizes (results more slack), stronger pop, but slower on kiteloops. With MK11 I could loop my 10.5m easily, but on Y25 I only loop the 9. See the last video on my previous post.
Pop is pretty good on the MK11, but I was lacking the amount of slack. With boots it was okay to use, but see my Lefkada video above doing new-scholl with straps and the MK11 10.5m and 14m
For the "sweet spot" I had to use some trimming always. I was unhooking with strong winds as well, but it is better to keep on the lower wind range.
Generally it flies deeper in the wind window which means it is stable. You can force it to generate power very quickly. So once you steer the kite the power is on. It can be difficult to handle when you are overpowered. Difficult to properly send it to the edge of the window. I enjoyed riding the kite in Hungary in gusty winds and in strong winds. When I used the Y25 in Cape Town I didn't like it in strong winds. That is when I switched back to the MK10 for looping. That was too strong wind (Kevin was on 8m Supermodel and then he changed to 7m). And with the 9m I could jump over kickers with small pops, just 6m pops as it was generating too much power.

I have the "freedom" to use any kite but I was using MK11 and Y25 for 1-1 years so I was satisfied with it in any conditions (see even my lightwind foiling video with this kite). That is when I switched to race foiling. And I use a dice13m for airstlye when I need some variety after race foiling. And I use the 9m obsession MK10 when it is super strong wind.

Maybe you are looking for the o-zone Amp. that has a perfect slack with 4 lines even on the "big-air" settings. I sell Amp 11m Green. I used it only for 2 hours, as it is not fitting my more airstyle / sent jump style. With wakestyle bar I sell for 1000 EUR. It is like new. See photos http://adrenalinsportok.hu/product-cate ... lszereles/
These users thanked the author aendorphin for the post:
X-Fly (Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:14 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

X-Fly
Rare Poster

Postby X-Fly » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:18 pm

Thanks for your message :)

In fact I hesitate between several kites (Obsession, Amp... or Dash that I already owned) for a 2 kites freestyle quiver (11/9 or 12/9 sizes) and add an other kite (8m) for big air and loops. And still in 4 lines for all these kites !
I am light (65-70kg depending on the season :)) and not need bigger kites

Return to “Kitesurfing”