Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Wave kite dilemma

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:07 pm

Al101 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:12 pm

Drifter: i would like to try, concern about bulky bar and lack of low wind (9 would be my bigest kite..)
Bulky bar? What bulky bar are you referring to? The Fixed TrimLite control system is about as simple and uncluttered as one can get, and it's feather light. Also, the Drifter was totally redesigned in 2018, so if you haven't tried a newer model, you will be surprised at the overall wind range including the low end. Drifter also kills it on a foil. I fly all the Cabrinha kites (my job), and I never found the Drifter to lack low end. Maybe you can try one at a demo in your area?
These users thanked the author Cab Driver for the post:
KevinB (Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Al101
Rare Poster
Gear: no gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Al101 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:56 pm

First of all, tnx for answers.
Bulky - long time ago i tryd switchblades and with coil spring, it was heavy.
Anyway if that is true about lowend im ok, but u are “cabdriver”?!?:))

I have old neo, and is actualy a good kite, good lowend just a bit slow.

On one hand i would not like to experimet, but on the other side i would like to try somthing else.

Ill ask my non kite surf girlfriend, she will deside in the end:))

Please dont close the topic, i would still like to hear some opinions,

Tnx

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:15 pm

I'm your weight plus or minus a beer or two. Agree with cab driver that Cabrinha bar is great - I never tried an old one but the new ones are as good or better than other brands. I ride a 9 drifter as my go to kite. It does not lack in low end. if I get under powered, I switch to the 12 as will everyone. turns fast so you can always have the kite exactly where you want it, drifts great, relaunches great, nice depower and overall range, especially if you use the different settings. my new favorite for waves and foil. Not a good jumper though. one kite can't do everything... I recently rode neo but only 6m. it felt much more on-off but stronger winds can be more gusty so not fair to blame the kite.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:03 am

Here's a good comparison of the Drifter and Neo. The shop sells both Cabrinha and North/Duotone so it's not that they are totally biased towards one brand.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:45 am

Laughingman wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:55 pm
If you are looking for a fast turning wave kite with amazing drift, amazing relaunch and good low end power you should try the Ocean Rodeo Roam.

Shameless plug here..... I have a Roam for sale in mint condition....great wave kite

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2401876

caduo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby caduo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:14 am

cabrinha s bar 1x trim is one of the most descent bars on the market today,light,simple and functional with maybe some small issues that most bars still have,it misses only a bigger chicken loop for wakestyle on the fx,but this only concerns people that do a lot of unhooked stuff.

Return to “Kitesurfing”