Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Dania Beach, FL
Style: air style
Gear: North Evo 12m, Core XR5 LW 15m, Crazy Fly Raptor, Moses Onda 633
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Light wind inflatable kite

Postby DeanM » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:10 am

Good evening everyone. I would like to ask advise in order to make a decision on purchase of my second kite. I live in florida and mostly we have light wind down here 10-14 knots. My weight is 174 pounds/79 kg. I ride for 2 years so far and I ride twin tip. Right now I am considering only one option Core XR 5. My question is which better size will suite me in order to get jumps 5 m height and over with good hang time in that wind range? I was thinking either 15 m or 17 m kite will do the job but just cant make a decision with size. I love air style and really want to jump high and long that is my ideal kite world. Really appreciate everyone’s opinion on this. Thank you

Exal
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Re: Light wind inflatable kite

Postby Exal » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Hey, this video here should give you a good idea:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUxvWdovuvo

Sounds like the 17 would be more for you if you want more height in those conditions. The XR 5 LW edition looks really good, give some feedback on what you decided and how it went.
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
DeanM (Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06 am)
Rating: 10%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:38 pm

Choose the 17 sqm for better pop and glide in the winds you describe and if it ramps up to 20 knots you will still be in control and boosting to the moon

In video at 1:14 you see his leash attached to the ring the wrong way.....from over the Chicken Loop...it should attached from underneath the CL.....safer way

Core leash set-up also instructs from under
These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post (total 2):
DeanM (Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06 am) • DAnderson (Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:19 am)
Rating: 20%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 am

Consider getting a light wind board instead of a big kite. You will have way more fun and probably spend less money.
Get a very wide twin tip, a wide fish style directional, a skim board or ideally a hydrofoil.

:-) CG
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
DeanM (Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:08 am)

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:06 am

I too live in Fl and am an advocate of big kites. I'd say go with the 17. I would, however, encourage you to try a bunch of different models if you have not already. To me, some of the best lightwind kites on the market that offer decent performance in lightwind are the XR, the Eleveight RS, Cab Contra, and my fav. the 15m Rebel...the Juice of course would be good as well. What you are looking for is something with a ton of range so you can hold it down when the wind pics up. This is especially important if you love airstyle. I use my 15 Rebel to learn all new tricks in lighter conditions then as I get more proficient I will hit the trick in strong conditions (over 20 kts). I can't emphasize enough how important it is to demo. Every kite has a different "feel" and you need to make sure that you are matched with the best solution. Good luck and keep us posted.
These users thanked the author lindseym for the post:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 pm

cglazier wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 am
Consider getting a light wind board instead of a big kite. You will have way more fun and probably spend less money.
Get a very wide twin tip, a wide fish style directional, a skim board or ideally a hydrofoil.

:-) CG

Can only recommend Chris's good advice :thumb:

Problem here is, it will be just as "stupid" a thread, as discussing whether you should ride waveboards strapped or strapless...
Impossible to agree so loads of opposite opinions will come here.

In my experience, really big kites suck big time, for everything.
So for an average weight, nothing bigger than 13-14 m2 (maybe even less) makes any sense.

Get the right board instead, and as CG writes, a hydrofoil would be the perfect choice of course, and you dont need bigger than your current 10 or 12 m2 kites.

If not into that, go with a bigger TT or Fish or skimboard, that will be so much more fun IMO, and you can later choose ANY board you like.
Not possible if you got a bigass slow 15 to 17 m2 kite, as then you have wasted your money if you dont like it :cry:
And these sizes are utterly useless with a hydrofoil anyways...

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:42 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 pm

Problem here is, it will be just as "stupid" a thread, as discussing whether you should ride waveboards strapped or strapless...
Impossible to agree so loads of opposite opinions will come here.

8) Peter
Might as well shut the forum down then!

There is great value in a variety of opinions. Even opposites. Doesn't take long to evaluate the sources either.

Light wind has always been the holy grail for kiters. Many of us, Peter included went through that early phase where the stoke is so high that you're willing to try anything to get more time on the water.

Bigger and bigger gear was the first experiment. Kites went up to 25m in size for a bit way back when...… They're extinct now and 19m kites are pretty few and far between. 17m seems to be where size XXL has settled as far as kites go. Like anything XXL unless your a big dude, its generally not going to deliver quite the same good times you get from your med sized kite. They're sloooooooow when powered up let alone in the light winds your hoping to ride in. They fall out of the sky and they don't always go back up.

Boards were next. The "Door" was born. They definitely work. They go in super light air with the right big kite, but it doesn't take that long to figure out it comes at the cost of most of the magic. They don't really carve or do toeside and they are prone to weird stuff like sucking to the water when you try to jump or breaking your hip if you land em flat with any real velocity.

Then came the age of realism. Many had been kiting for over a decade and tried the big flysurfers, the doors, and realized that kiteboarding was simply a wind sport that surprise surprise required WIND. Most made do with a med/large kite and a wide flat surfboard or largish flat TT. Small f fun began about 12/13 knots and big F fun as low as 14/15.

Then Surprise surprise in the other direction! The hydrofoil happened. Took a bit to catch on, then again to break away from the race course but once it did, well, let just say that a lot of us look at theories about worm holes and parallel dimensions with a lot less pessimism! As you may know, foiling is growing like wildfire precisely because it feeds right into that burning desire for MORE KITING!

The writing is on the wall. The foil is the best answer so far. Dropped the min wind down to ridiculous levels. Small f fun is way under 10 knots and big F fun has a sharp ON switch at 10 with nearly any med size kite on the market.

Major improvement for the kiting masses. There are still doors on the market and you can find 17m kites for a couple grand, but anyone who has watched the kite scene for more than a few years will tell you, Hydrofoils are the biggest thing since LEI's got bridles.

Many a kiter has wondered if a bigger kite is the answer to their dreams. For a few it is, for many it proved not to be.

Spend your money, time and effort wisely, and learn from those who came before who share your hunger for MORE.

Get a hydrofoil.... if not get a bigger board.... if not...……………………...Get a huge kite.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 3):
styleito (Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:33 pm) • DeanM (Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06 am) • nixmatters (Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:19 pm)
Rating: 30%

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels

North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Firewire Evo, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Monarch, Duotome Jaime, Naish Hover 155/150/125/130, AXIS 102/82 Foil, Zeeko XXLW Spitfire, Fanatic Aero 1500

Duotone 3m/4m/5mWing, Gong 7m

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:40 pm

Based on the wind and level of fun (and addiction to kiting factor) ......

8-10 knots - Hydrofoil and a 13m LW kite (no fun on a TT)
10-12 knots - Hydrofoil and a 10m LW kite, Door style TT + 17m/15m kite (some fun on a TT)
12-14 Knots - Hydrofoil and a 8m LW kite, Door Style TT + 15m kite (starting to think about jumping on the TT)
14m+ Knots - Hydrofoil or Normal TT + progressively small kites (now starting to get some height on the TT)

I kited in 10-12 knots yesterday on a Rebel 13m...... frustrated, I packed it up after 8km and one 2m jump. Pulled out the Hydrofoil and did 20km of carving up and down the lake with a smile on my face.

Get a hydrofoil for the 10 knot days. Makes it a fun session in my opinion.
These users thanked the author bigtone667 for the post:

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Leksdalsvatnet, Trones, Vinge
Favorite Beaches: Leksdalsvatnet, Trones, El Medano & Las Americas Tenerife, Fuerteventura
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone edge 19 32m lines
Core XR4 11 13.5 17 27m lines
Core XR3 9 27m lines
Crazyfly Raptor Pro 137×43
Slingshot Glide 149x46 LW 2006

Postby Guttorm » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:55 pm

If you are considering the XR5 LW, get a cheap used XR4 in stead, its a way more fun light wind kite because it flyes further forward in the wind window so you get more speed and upwind drive that gives room for more jumping and more pop, so its a more playfull and fun ride in light wind. I tried bout of them before I bought my set of Xr4 kites, for sure the XR4 is more fun than the XR5.
These users thanked the author Guttorm for the post:
DeanM (Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:08 am)

DeanM
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Dania Beach, FL
Style: air style
Gear: North Evo 12m, Core XR5 LW 15m, Crazy Fly Raptor, Moses Onda 633
Been thanked: 0

Postby DeanM » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:15 am

Thank you everyone for your comments and replies! I really appreciate your help and imput since I am doing my research for a couple months already. To me flying high in the air is the true kiteboarding so instead of going after foil and wide door style boar I will go with 15 m kite. After I will be experiensed enough my next step will be 9 m with twin tip for those windy days and after that I will plan to get 10 m cloud (or any other no strut to single strut kite) with foil board. That is my game plan 😊

Return to “Kitesurfing”