Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Beginner

Postby Crdnlplt » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:00 pm

Mike101 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:30 am
Crdnlplt wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:02 am
Riding on the board is obviously easy but it makes you want to pull on the bar a lot.
If you find yourself doing this use one finger on the control bar. You need to grip on the initial send and redirect but after that you can steer with just pinkies .
Thanks for the tip - not sure why I haven't heard or tried that earlier! Always trying to learn more about this captivating, new to me, activity!

kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Postby kitelife » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 pm

80% Kite 20% Board. Will still have a learning curve with wakeboard background. Kiting is very dependent on conditions. Have to wait for perfect conditions to line up. Can’t just pick a random day like wakeboarding. Also, more chop and swell to get used to.

Definitely talk to your instructor about what setup to get. I Recommend looking into the RPM. Some kite schools use this kite so you might find a place to try/demo. You Can find good deals on a new RPM kite that’s “last years model.” This kite has a really good wind range and it’s good for wakeboard style tricks when you advance (hybrid c). Check the YouTube reviews. I’ve been sold on this kite since 2013.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sun » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:49 pm

kitelife wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 pm
Definitely talk to your instructor about what setup to get. I Recommend looking into the RPM. Some kite schools use this kite so you might find a place to try/demo. You Can find good deals on a new RPM kite that’s “last years model.” This kite has a really good wind range and it’s good for wakeboard style tricks when you advance (hybrid c). Check the YouTube reviews. I’ve been sold on this kite since 2013.
To OP: RPM is a great choice, it is one of those kites that simultaneously works for beginners and advanced riders. Also is nice that the RPM works well for wakestyle moves that you probably want to transfer to from wakeboarding.

I am not above a shameless plug though if you want a good quiver of used kites. I happen to be selling a set. TS and RPM are very similar, with TS being a bit more responsive but not quite as good in gusty wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”