Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Prevent body rotation

Forum for kitesurfers
HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Prevent body rotation

Postby HALF » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:23 am

How do you prevent and recover from body rotation when the kite pulls you to the side before you get going?
I manage to prevent it in 8/10 cases but still sometimes while i put the board on my legs(i am not super flexible) the kite pulls to one side and pulls the top of my body the same direction, it is annoying as f*** to let the board go, rotate myself and start again.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Prevent body rotation

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:26 pm

Don't put your kite at 12 whilst you are putting the board on. Leave it off centre and you'll find it easier to put your board on:

This video covers it (watch to the end to see an example of the problem you described)

These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post (total 2):
HALF (Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:54 pm) • kaioe (Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:40 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:39 am

Only two ways to prevent this.
1) paddling- use your arms like an oar for coarse adjustments. Requires proficient one handed kite flying to keep the kite at 12
2) when in the perfect setup position- 90deg to the wind, frog stance, on your back in the water- experiment with pushing your individual feet. You should be able to control small deviations in rotation purley from foot pressure. This is like the fine adjustment before the paddling is required.

Finally- you will get a lot better at this. The 10-60s you are currently taking to 'setup' before your water start will soon be down to 1-2s. Less time floating = less time to rotate = more attempts per session. Flying one handed, upside down whilst convincing yourself the kit is good, your position is good, the wind is good and there's no-one in the way is an essential skill that becomes a lot easier with practice.
These users thanked the author Mike101 for the post:
HALF (Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:59 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:26 pm
Don't put your kite at 12 whilst you are putting the board on. Leave it off centre and you'll find it easier to put your board on:

This video covers it (watch to the end to see an example of the problem you described)

+1
IKO determined that keeping kite at 12 is best because less action are required to do power stroke. But in reality with experiece the best way to setup is to keep kite to the side while you put board on, as you put second foot in you bring kite to 12 and by the time board is on kite already lifted you mostly out of water and you are ready for power stroke...

Though there might be a reason why IKO teach you with kite at 12, you will figure out what works for you with experience... To me there are a lot of benefits keeping it to side of window especially in light wind.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:52 am

I just point everything toward whichever direction the kite is pulling, doesn't matter if it's sitting at 12 o'clock or off to the side somewhere. To start with, it's easiest to leave it directly overhead, as long as the wind isn't super gusty and risk the kite falling behind you.

Other option, if it's possible at your spot, is to put the board on your feet on the beach near the water, and then ride into the water. This is usually what I do if the wind direction cooperates, it's pretty easy once you've done it a couple times.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:24 pm

dylan* wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:52 am
Other option, if it's possible at your spot, is to put the board on your feet on the beach near the water, and then ride into the water. This is usually what I do if the wind direction cooperates, it's pretty easy once you've done it a couple times.
Very bad idea for a Noob - no board control no kite control = disaster and mahem on a beach when it falls or rolls into the power. A lot of experienced kiters have died or been seriously injured doing this or hospitalised innocent beach pedestrians...

Beginners need to body drag out of harms way - yes some people are that stupid with no common sense...
These users thanked the author ShaveTheWhales for the post:
Toby (Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:37 pm

dylan* wrote:
I just point everything toward whichever direction the kite is pulling, doesn't matter if it's sitting at 12 o'clock or off to the side somewhere.
What Dylan said. Go on land, and then notice your stance. You are square to the kite. Now move the kite. Notice your stance. It changes and goes square to where ever the pull of the kite is. Same thing happens in the water. Where ever the pull is you want your body to be square (90 degrees) to that pull. If you are not 90 degrees but 45 degrees to the pull of the kite then you will get pulled sideways exactly as you described. it's really simple and you'll figure it out in no time. If you aren't super flexible then it's a little bit more challenging but this sport isn't yoga you can do it.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:54 am

ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:24 pm
dylan* wrote:
A lot of experienced kiters have died or been seriously injured doing this or hospitalised innocent beach pedestrians...
You must be misunderstanding what I'm talking about, because it's incredibly easy. Stand or sit down on beach with board on your feet. Dive kite and edge like you're in the water as the kite drags you toward the water.

Not really sure what you're talking about with "experienced kiters" dying. Are you talking about kiters in Afghanistan getting shot by terrorists while trying this move, or what?

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Postby lightwind » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:30 am

dylan* wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:54 am
ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:24 pm
dylan* wrote:
A lot of experienced kiters have died or been seriously injured doing this or hospitalised innocent beach pedestrians...
You must be misunderstanding what I'm talking about, because it's incredibly easy. Stand or sit down on beach with board on your feet. Dive kite and edge like you're in the water as the kite drags you toward the water.

Not really sure what you're talking about with "experienced kiters" dying. Are you talking about kiters in Afghanistan getting shot by terrorists while trying this move, or what?
I completely disagree. First thing that is important is to bodie drag out at least two line lengths from beach. I saw almost every student falling over board performing water start. It’s so dangerous to try it on beach. If they lose kite control during beach start in this case, they are in really big problem. Did you ever see someone been pulled by the kite on the beach? Yes, you can be hurt and die eventually.

Keep your kite at 12 as steady as possible, use your arms to paddle and recover your position. If it takes long time to put board on your feet practice it without the kite. When the kite is steady at 12 you can release both hands from the bar to help your self putting a board on.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:21 am

lightwind wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:30 am
When the kite is steady at 12 you can release both hands from the bar to help your self putting a board on.
That to me sounds like a terrible bit of advice. It's not like he's having to lace some boots, for goodness's sake!... One hand should be more than enough to deal with the board, and the other one will actively fly the kite. Micro steering with one hand, always keeping the kite slowly moving in the air around 12 o'clock is the key to a stable kite, more than relying on a supposed stability at 12.
A kite at 12 can fall. Sure they don't do it anywhere near as much as the bitchy AR5 in the early 2000s, but still, you shouldn't take that for granted. A jerky movement from you, a bit of bobbing up and down due to a wave, a gust or lull, or a rider flying his kite somewhere upwind of yours and your kite can potentially fall.

Return to “Kitesurfing”