Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Camber induced kites?

Forum for kitesurfers
dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer
Brand Affiliation: None

Camber induced kites?

Postby dragnfly » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:47 pm

This has probably been covered before - and camber induced probably isnt quite the right term. Windsurfers will know what I am on about.
Have any kite manufacturers ever tried more profiled leading edges, making them the same shape as a camber induced windsurf sail? Surely it would make a kite far more efficient? Windsurf sails weren't ideal as the big gap would fill with water, but a kite would have the bladder filling the whole area, so wouldn't be an issue - but it might take a lot more pumping.
Like in the pic?
Just wondered. It may well have been tried before.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Re: Camber induced kites?

Postby tmcfarla » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:55 pm

I think you mean additional fabric behind the leading edge to clean up the profile? I think it has been tried. BRM did an April fools video about it a couple years ago, but if I recall, he actually made one and found that it had no affect on performance.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Faction kites back in 2003ish tried it. But they ever took off. Perhaps, it added complexity to manufacturing and cost?? Added weight?? Water capture and drainage issues?? For too small a gains??

https://goo.gl/images/XfEjrt

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:05 pm

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:27 pm

It's possible to create a high performance wing that doesn't come with all the compromises of a rigid wing using a double-skinned sail: https://www.sail-world.com/news/209295/ ... f-Mainsail

That said, kite design is very different than sail design. The double-sail America's Cup boats will be lighter than the rigid wing boats of last time, at a slight performance degradation. Kites are already at the very light end of the 'compromises' spectrum, so any time you suggest adding more material it needs to be unmistakable that there is a reason to do so.

I think foil kites do what you're describing very well, especially when they have a thick profile design and a long bar throw so you can really traverse a variety of 'shapes' within the sheeting range. I think a lot of inflatables change camber in a meaningful way across the sheeting range, but nowhere near as much as foils and with more turbulence on the underside due to not having a smooth bottom skin.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:37 pm

dragnfly wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:47 pm
This has probably been covered before - and camber induced probably isnt quite the right term. Windsurfers will know what I am on about.
Have any kite manufacturers ever tried more profiled leading edges, making them the same shape as a camber induced windsurf sail? Surely it would make a kite far more efficient? Windsurf sails weren't ideal as the big gap would fill with water, but a kite would have the bladder filling the whole area, so wouldn't be an issue - but it might take a lot more pumping.
Like in the pic?
Just wondered. It may well have been tried before.
There's a lot of torsion in a kite when it turns. That's how it turns - different angles of attack on the wingtips. Wide sleeve or double surface LE is direct resistance against torsion, or turning. This will likely be slow turning.

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Back in the day , Gaastra Phoenix has a more air-foiled LE with 2 cambers/2 bladders inside ....2003 or 2004 if i remember right ..
Never tried it , seems it doesn't have any success , a matter of weight/complicated construction vs performance i supose...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59 pm

mikelet wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:57 pm
Back in the day , Gaastra Phoenix has a more air-foiled LE with 2 cambers/2 bladders inside ....2003 or 2004 if i remember right ..
Never tried it , seems it doesn't have any success , a matter of weight/complicated construction vs performance i supose...

Very true.

Also, the area behind the LE is not nearly as draggy and damaging as one would think, as stagnant air behind the LE, gives a virtual "second bottom skin" almost, which gives a lot more performance as one would think.

This is the very reason why windsurf sails have dropped cambers again, and going with a simpler design, as the gain is minimal compared to the disadvantages (weight, shifting side, cost etc, besides water inside)

The same goes in an even bigger respect for kites IMO, as here you will also lose turnability because the double skin would stiffen the LE.

Having a flexible leading edge that can twist (but hold its shape of course), not too stiff, enhances turning hugely.

8) Peter

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:55 pm

Also because performance in kiteboarding is not about an optimized Lift/Drag ratio.
Stability, turning ability, instant depower, are typically much more valuable characteristics than just speed of the kite through the air.

For the few use cases where L/D matters, foils seem to cover that pretty well.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
kjorn (Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:59 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:55 pm
Also because performance in kiteboarding is not about an optimized Lift/Drag ratio.
Stability, turning ability, instant depower, are typically much more valuable characteristics than just speed of the kite through the air.

For the few use cases where L/D matters, foils seem to cover that pretty well.
^ this.

This more or less explains 95% of the “wouldn’t it be better if kites were like...” that appear on this forum.

Return to “Kitesurfing”