Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lauderdale wind late March - and site for foiling?

Forum for kitesurfers
cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Lauderdale wind late March - and site for foiling?

Postby cwood » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:04 pm

Have to travel there late march for business. Do I stay the weekend to foil? Skunk odds? Locations and access?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Lauderdale wind late March - and site for foiling?

Postby RickI » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:50 pm

cwood wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:04 pm
Have to travel there late march for business. Do I stay the weekend to foil? Skunk odds? Locations and access?
March is one of our better wind months, so if the forecast close to three days out supports it, go for it. I recommend kiting further north to avoid access issues. I would consider kiting out of Ft. Lauderdale due to access issues and tight riding conditions. Delray isn't far up the coast as is Jupiter with some excellent conditions and not much shallow water to hassle with on a foil. Regarding Delray, setup about 400 ft. south of Casurina Road, beyond the Seagate property, head out beyond 100 yards offshore and stay out there to the north until time to come in. Jupiter is easier still, just stay at least 100 yards away from the fishing pier. There are other spots but these are some of the best regarding access and foiling.

DeanM
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Dania Beach, FL
Style: old school freestyle
Gear: North Evo 12m, Core XR5 LW 15m, Core XR 5 9m, Jamie Textreme 136, Moses Onda 633
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby DeanM » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 am

cwood wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:04 pm
Dania beach pier on the left side is our kiting spot. We kiting here without any problems, excellent for foiling as well

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BJkitesurf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:33 am

At Meade St in Hollywood Beach ( south of Dania Beach Pier ) is our kiting spot,too.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:50 am

Guys, I wouldn't encourage more folks to hit the Dania Pier and for lots of reasons you likely know. We have caused some issues with the lifeguards that has kiting in general under scrutiny. The launch is small, strewn with beach goers and in marginal winds (high or low from the wrong directions it can be a difficult spot). Regarding Meade Street, you should mention no kiting on weekends, holidays and when things are really crowded.

I tried to suggest spots which should provide excellent kiting while not burdening access or dumping hassles on the visiting kiter. It is worth thinking about.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:41 pm

thanks for the info all....I am always very sensitive to locals and local rules and challenges / sensitivities. I don't want to go somewhere and feel unwelcome.
I am a relatively advanced foiler but fly foil kites so a bit of space needed for launch etc. Happy to get out and stay out deep.
These users thanked the author cwood for the post:
RickI (Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”