Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What lightwind kite should I choose for a small rider?

Forum for kitesurfers
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What lightwind kite should I choose for a small rider?

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:07 am

Wind values below 7-8 knots are quite difficult to compare between riders unfortunatelly. When available, comparisons and feelings by same rider are more valuable IMO.

I also have a flite (v4, 10m for my light weight) which is a wonderful light weight LEI that I love and keep in my quiver even if it is in dooblon. But i can tell you that there is a huge gap in low end compared to Pulsion (say below "my" 8 knots where the flite is at its comfort limit , heavy flight, instable and not able to relaunch) . Huge even for a similar size. In term of waterstart power, and resource in light wind (not speaking about flying in less wind of course and forgiveness in learning tricks ending in extreme window or overhead position ) ;

Jadog you have a thread dedicated to Pulsion for details . Boost in term of waterstart in unbeatable (i mean if you include the loop in the stroke with reasonnable line length) and jump "boost" is good (but i have a poor level on this). Hang time is better than LEI and lower than race kites. Soul (from my readings and friends feedback vs pulsion) is a bit closer to race kite shape vs Pulsion (hence less boost but better hangtime).

The main drawback of Pulsion could be repeated vilolent crash in ultralight cloth, so fragile for certain beginners that would crash it regularly face down and break the inter-cells cloth. Then 32gr or 40 gr cloth should be envisaged.

jadog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Indiana
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Rally Kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby jadog » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:59 am

Ok so now that I’m sold on moving to a foil board for light wind, I’m trying to decide which to start with - the foil kite or the foil board. I was leaning towards the kite first but then started thinking maybe I could try my single skin Peak on the foil board. But I’m guessing I’ll be dumping the kite often as I learn so maybe it would be better to learn how to foil with an LEI.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:27 am

jadog wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:59 am
I’m trying to decide which to start with - the foil kite or the foil board. I was leaning towards the kite first but then started thinking maybe I could try my single skin Peak on the foil board. But I’m guessing I’ll be dumping the kite often as I learn so maybe it would be better to learn how to foil with an LEI.
board first, you shouldn't try and learn to hydrofoil in light winds, honestly, save yourself the headaches and only learn on it in 12 knots or more, especially if you aren't a veteran kiter.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:16 am) • windsuks (Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:34 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:18 am

Slappysan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:27 am
jadog wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:59 am
I’m trying to decide which to start with - the foil kite or the foil board. I was leaning towards the kite first but then started thinking maybe I could try my single skin Peak on the foil board. But I’m guessing I’ll be dumping the kite often as I learn so maybe it would be better to learn how to foil with an LEI.
board first, you shouldn't try and learn to hydrofoil in light winds, honestly, save yourself the headaches and only learn on it in 12 knots or more, especially if you aren't a veteran kiter.

Agree, hydrofoil first, learn with current LEI kites in more wind 10 knots and up where they all fly easy, and later you can start to ride in less and less wind and get another kite to get to the ultimate lowend.

Also try with your Peak, and see what is possible, WHEN you have learned to foil :thumb:

8) Peter

jadog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Indiana
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Rally Kites

Postby jadog » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the great advice guys!

Rolidi
Rare Poster
Gear: Foilkites, TT, door
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rolidi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi,
I ordered the Aurora 15 m UL. Can I ride a door 160x48 in less than 10 knots? Weight 78 kg. My more important questions: what is the maximum windspeed to ride a TT 142x44 with the Aurora 15 m? As two-kite-option I would like the Aurora 8 m. I think with the door it works from 15 knots upwards ... or better 10 m?
Many thanks,
Roland

Return to “Kitesurfing”