Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What lightwind kite should I choose for a small rider?

Forum for kitesurfers
jadog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Indiana
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Rally Kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

What lightwind kite should I choose for a small rider?

Postby jadog » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 pm

I know this has been asked before and I've spent a number of months researching already. I'm looking for a light wind kite to get me on the water on those summer days that I'd otherwise be sitting on the beach. I live 3 hours from the closest kiteboarding spot, so I don't have the luxury of always getting out when the wind is blowing strong. I only weigh in at 120 lbs (54 kg), so I have a slight advantage and most every post regarding light wind kites I've seen previously were from riders based on a 75kg or higher weight. My current largest kite is a 12M Slingshot Rally (2012) and is good to get me going at 9 knots using a CrazyFly 145x48. I have no problem staying upwind in this either. However, I am now searching for something to get me out between 5-8 knots using my twintip (or possibly a directional such as the North Nugget or Paipo). I don't feel like I have enough experience yet to take on the challenge of learning to use a foil board. But someday I plan to try.

I previously thought that I would NOT be able to hold down a larger kite such as a 17M, but after flying the Ozone Zephyr last summer, I've had a change of heart. I was able to get out in around 7-8 knots on the Zephyr and loved it and was able to hold it down when the wind picked up to nearly 20 knots, but this kite is heavy enough that it will fall from the sky when the winds lull to anything less then 7 knots. My conclusions from reading forum posts have narrowed my search considerably down to the following two kites:

BRM Cloud 17M (strutless)
Flysurfer Sonic2 15M (Foil)

I previously owned a quiver of Peter Lynn Foil kites and so I understand the disadvantages of a foil kite. I hated when the wind would gust and the kite would overfly and luff before ending in a bowtie. A total show-stopper which eventually led me to selling them. But I loved how they would float when getting air. However, I am thinking that with clean ocean air, I could avoid the bowtie issue. The Sonic2 also has a solid 5 minute relaunch period (assuming there are no waves) before you are guaranteed swimming in.

So it seems the advantages of the Sonic would be a slightly lower end as it seems it will stay in the sky with 4 knots or better. But the Cloud obviously would be safer for self rescue since it is an inflatable. Does anybody used both of these and can comment?

Note that I'm on the lower side of the intermediate level of experience and enjoy jumping but am not into massive air. I'm ok if the light winds will only be enough to mow the lawn. It still beats sitting on the beach.

I'm also open to other advice with regards to other kites or kite sizes that you may think would be a better choice. Please let your advice and opinions fly!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: What lightwind kite should I choose for a small rider?

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:21 pm

Hey, jadog.

If you are not interested in a foil board, 5-8 knots may be a challenge. At your weight, 7-8 knots might be okay on a TT, but I'd be surprised if you could ride your TT in 5-6 knots. Even the most efficient foil kites are difficult to fly consistently well in wind that light.

If I were in your shoes (weight, experience level, etc.), I'd look closely at the FS Soul. I think you'll need a foil kite for wind in the 5-8 knot range, and the Soul is more user-friendly than most other foil kites.

Disclaimers: I weigh more than you (80 kgs); I do not own the Soul; I am not at all interested in riding in 5-8 knots. :wink:

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:29 pm

I dont fly foil kites but I do fly clouds, and have for years. I have flown foils, but not very experienced with them.
For your weight even a 13.4, 13.5 or 14 (depending on generation) cloud would give you almost what you’re after, at a lower cost and less hassle (in my opinion) than a flysurfer.
I don’t think any LEI will give a non-expert consistent results in a true 5 knots.
And even the expert will swim once he crashes, if he can get going in 5 in the first place.
The flysurfer 15 (or more) would give you some marginal ability in 5, but at your weight you would might be done in 10! And at a cost of an LEI plus a hydrofoil!
If you can get down to 10 with a normal 12m lei, a 12m cloud would likely get you to 9 and any bigger cloud might get you to 6-7 knots, enough to majorly expand your rideable days.
If I were you I would focus on 7-8 knots low end and a kite that you could hold onto in up to 13-14 knots. Below 8 knots, there is always the relaunch issue. Sure it can be done, but not always, even with foil kites.
Unless you really are ultra light wind focused in your riding, then probably only a foil kite will work!
Last edited by BWD on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:30 pm

I think you nailed the two best options down very well.

A big Cloud kite as it is by far the lightest LEI you can get.
It wont get you jumping that much though, not know for jumping well, but much safer as you write, and hangs really well.
Onestrut kites like the Airush Ultra or Storm Voyager kites and similar are maybe better at jumping and overall, but not as light as the Cloud, so at your weight aiming for EXTREME light wind, you might have to go with the Cloud, agree.

The other option is a big foil kite yes.
You could choose any other light racekite too, Sonic is just one of them, but you know they have disadvantages also.
So getting a Flysurfer Soul in 15 m2 instead (or any size) could also be an option, without the same disadvantages you mention.
Or an Ozone Hyperlink but only comes in 12 m2 probably too small.
Problem is they are a bit tougher than UL foil kites because they are for "average freeride users", so maybe not the very best for your low weight and low wind...

More special but superlight and by far the easiest to handle, is a kite like the ConceptAir Pulsion in 12 or 15 or 18 m2 in UL material.
It will be lighter and hang in less than the above kites, and handles really good also.

At least some ideas for you :D

8) Peter

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:35 pm

I agree, thats a good point about the concept air, I think...

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:51 pm

I know it's not what you want to hear, but forget about riding TT or directional in less than 10 knots - you won't be doing decent jumps or tricks, and it's just not fun after a while. All you can maybe do is mow the lawn. And if you do enjoy just cruising around, you will love flying. So save yourself the cash, invest some time and just learn to foil. It's the only sensible thing to do in that windrange imo (that, or frisbee).

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:34 pm

Strekke wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:51 pm
I know it's not what you want to hear, but forget about riding TT or directional in less than 10 knots - you won't be doing decent jumps or tricks, and it's just not fun after a while. All you can maybe do is mow the lawn. And if you do enjoy just cruising around, you will love flying. So save yourself the cash, invest some time and just learn to foil. It's the only sensible thing to do in that windrange imo (that, or frisbee).

I agree fully with you Strekke, no doubt, and this is where almost everyone ends.

Being light though, means that almost every experience from hydrofoiling in marginal winds, will be the same for a super light rider on a TT, regarding kite choice.

Regarding TT and big kites, some NEED to take this path themeself, meaning riding with bigger kites in low winds first, for some years, and have fun with it to start with, before they find it gets boring, and end up with hydrofoils and everything comes alive again with smaller and more fun kites and more options.

jadog seem to want to take that path, as so many others have done.

Some things HAS to be learned personally, and you have to walk through this route yourself, it is just the way it is with some things, and very individual whether you have to LIVE through it yourself, or can take the step on others advice and jump direct over some years, towards the destination.

No wrong or right here either, whether you HAVE to take the full path yourself to know (and enjoy while doing it), or you can skip some steps straight away.

8) Peter

jadog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Indiana
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Rally Kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby jadog » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Thanks for the great advice guys! I already own a quiver of single skin Flysurfer Peak's (including the 12M), so I'm familiar with light wind. But I don't believe these kites would be good on the water so I've kept to landboarding with those. I looked at the Flysurfer Soul but it didn't seem to have the same low-end as the Sonic, but it sounds like it may be more user-friendly. The ConceptAir Pulsion looks very promising - but pricey. Doesn't look like there are any available second hand either, but I'd love to try one as that seems like it may answer what I'm looking for.

@Strekke. My next step is looking into a Shinnster board that would allow transitioning from a directional to a foil without changing boards. As I said, I am interested in taking on foiling at some point, but I'm not ready to jump in just yet. I'm already riding in 9knots with my 12M on a wide TT. I suspect I can get a few extra knots with a larger and lighter kite without moving to a foil board. I don't need to be doing tricks to have fun :). Even if I get out and dump the kite and have to swim back, I figure a bad day kiting is still better than a good day at work.

Also a foil board will take up so much more room than a typical twin tip. So I will need to upgrade my transportation to accommodate that as well. If I just lived by the water...

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:47 pm

jadog wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:40 pm
.....I figure a bad day kiting is still better than a good day at work.
+1. :thumb:

The good news for you, jadog, is that you can already ride your TT in lighter wind conditions that most of us simply due to your weight. Sounds like you have some good options to go even lighter. Have fun with it.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:15 am

Understand that the BRM C2 17m has really bad upwind performance and does not jump. I only ride mine with my skimboard where doing surface tricks is still fun.

I would advise the Soul 15m as the easy choice if you have the $$$. The only reason to go for a Sonic is if you want to race.

There are a bunch of other LEI kites you should consider as well though:
- Airush Ultra2 15m / 17m
- LF Solo 15.5m / 17.5m
- OR Flite 14.5m / 17m

Return to “Kitesurfing”