Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What lightwind kite should I choose for a small rider?

Forum for kitesurfers
Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What lightwind kite should I choose for a small rider?

Postby Exal » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:40 pm

Great topic. I wanted to get a 12m soul until I learned how much work it is to dry the kite and correcting potential line mess. Also in that really light wind, or super light wind with 5 to 8 knots there must be a lot of swimming involved when the wind dies off or you can't relaunch the kite. Resulting in an extra wet mess!?

Please report back how it went for you. I bought myself an inflatable sup for that little wind haha but I am also 75 kg.

jadog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Indiana
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Rally Kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby jadog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:49 am

grigorib wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:58 pm

There’s $60 investment to get you into much lighter wind on the 2012 Rally you’ve got - line extensions.
Buy line extensions to end up with 35-40m lines and you’ll feel magic of extra couple of knots your 12m (which is amazing light, but structured kite) would deliver.
Thank Grigory. I already have both 5M and 10M line extensions. The 5M extension is what I add to my 12M Rally to fly in 9 Knots but as soon as the wind dips to 7 or 8 and I change direction and loose the apparent wind, the kite will backstall and I’m swimming in. Although there is sufficient wind higher, I have to generate enough power by sweeping the kite lower and the wind is simply not enough at the height. I’ve also found this to be true with the 10M lines and even looping them both together for 15M. Maybe it’s partly because I didn’t buy the ultralight race lines.

Can anybody comment on how well the Pulsion jumps and floats during a jump as compared to the Soul?

There is also the Pulsion S which is a higher profile kite that supposedly has an even lower end. What do you guys think about that?

I would really like to go for the Pulsion but I’m slightly concerned about durability. And expensive. By the time I add a bar and hydrofoil, I’m probably going to be looking at 3-4K! :/

This has been very helpful though and I certainly appreciate the comments.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:18 am

There is nothing special about the bars for the Pulsion or Soul or any other of these foil kites so you can just use your current bar :thumb:

And start using your TT instead of a hydrofoil.

8) Peter

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Jadog,
Lots of great advice given. Challenge is that riders may not be comparing “apples to apples” when it comes to wind strength. Ie my 8knot interpretation might be more or less than another persons. I personally on some occasions push the light wind riding where the kites no longer can stay in the sky, and I’m roughly 70kg.
If riding only twin tip board you will need a large kite like Ozone Zephyr 17m or Cabrinha Contra 13, 15, or 17m . Light wind lines and length of lines can give slight light wind improvement.
To push the light wind performance a bit more get a board like the nugget as mentioned. When the winds are too light for the Lei kites, as they want to fall out of the sky, moving onto a stable, forgiving, lightweight foil kite would be recommended. For example the Ozone Chrono 2 or 3 in size 15 or 18m. The ultra light material over standard material would be recommended if pushing the light winds.
Finally for the ultimate light wind performance is when complimenting foil kite with foil board. When looking at this setup the foil front wing size/design can determine you foil kite size. For example choose a race foil wing (which is normally pretty small )and you will probably still need a larger foil kite like a Ozone Hyperlink 12m or Chrono 15m (both available in ultra light material). I would say the Hyperlink is a bit more forgiving and slightly easier to use. Now if you used a much larger cruisy foil like the Neilpryde surf foil with their small front wing (still huge when compared to the race foil wings ) you could get away with using smaller foil kites like the Ozone Hyperlink 9m.
Best of luck on your light wind journey.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:38 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: If the bridle connection points and stitching is not an issue, then we could maybe even use 15 g/m2 for UltraUltraLight foilkites for hydrofoils, right?
Strength and longevity would be an issue, but mainly I would think getting a tight weave in such a light fabric so as airtight coatings didn't ruin weight savings would be a problem.
Peter_Frank wrote: So you are saying the std thicker fabric is for those bashing their kites somewhat hitting sharp things, so they dont rip totally on the surface too easy?
They handle abuse more and last longer. Sunlight gradually degrades the strength of the material , degrading thinner materials faster or they have less strength margin to lose for practicality.
Exal wrote: I wanted to get a 12m soul until I learned how much work it is to dry the kite and correcting potential line mess
A salt wet foil will not usually grow mold for months. Easiest to dry by just flying. Unless you are always landing in water getting them wet is not an issue.

Lines are not nearly the problem you would imagine. Sure learning to handle the lines correctly could be frustrating, but all things can be when new.
Exal wrote: Also in that really light wind, or super light wind with 5 to 8 knots there must be a lot of swimming involved when the wind dies off or you can't relaunch the kite. Resulting in an extra wet mess!?
Some kites can static fly lower than 5 knots and active fly down to 1-1.5knots. You can possibly stay on hydrofoil down to 2-3knots, but most likely not start in that or even keep the kite up on the water. If you are worried about swimming, wear flotation and or don't go out too far... Packing a wet kite is far from the end of the world, grow up! :-)
jadog wrote:And expensive.
look at Pansh.
Peter_Frank wrote:you can just use your current bar
exactly

jadog
Rare Poster

Postby jadog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Thanks IWB2. The path you mentioned was what I originally set out for. However, if the Zephyr falls out of the sky at 6-7knots, then it would be reasonable to assume that it will Hindenburg in a lull when flying at 8knots. This would only effectively get me flying in a knot (maybe two) less than I currently am. If I’m trying to push the low wind boundaries by sizing up my kites only as the wind decreases, I will likely be swimming in a lot. I would rather have a single kite to span the light wind gap - for purposes of space as well as cost. I think that would be a foil kite like the Chrono you suggested.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Jadog,
Has your lightwind path changed,,, if so what is your new goal? In reality winds of 6-8kts are very light and any real hope of riding in these winds you will need a lightwind specific foil kite and suitable hydrofoil and good technique. In my opinion LEI kites just cant stay up in the sky in such light winds and start to struggle in 9-12 knots depending on the model, size etc. Even many foil kites, will struggle in 6-8ts.. the key is to find the suitable size and model. The hydrofoil option will definintely push your light wind performance as you can be much more powered up when compared to that of a TT and your upwind angles will be far greater. Maybe just adding a hydrofoil to your board selection would be the first step as you then you don't need to buy any kites in the mean time. Once you have the hydrofoil down you can start to look at foil kites which complement your hydrofoil.
I remember a few years back kiting on an 8m LEI with a medium aspect hydrofoil in about 13-15kts and boosting etc and an intermediate skilled rider slightly lighter than me on the same make, model and year of kite but on a 12m and twin tip was mowing the lawn and not wanting to lose ground in the lulls.. basically underpowered. Getting the hydrofoil will show you a whole new level of lightwind kiting. The Ozone Chrono v2 or v3 in ultralight material is a solid choice. The Ozone Hyperlink in the Ultralight material would be another option if using the hydrofoil and the more forgiving of the two options. I use the Ozone Chrono V2 ultralight 15m (12 knots and less), Chrono V2 11m (9-15kts) standard and Hyperlink 7m Standard (9 to 22kts)… I use a variety of hydrofoils ie race wing 500cm2 to medium wings 800cm2 to monster surf wings 1700cm2 .. My LEI kites come back out when winds are 12/13kts and up.

jadog
Rare Poster

Postby jadog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:14 pm

Sorry IBW2 for possibly my miscommunication. I think we are saying the same thing. My original goal from my initial post was to purchase a kite that could get me a few extra knots on those kite wind dayswhile using a twin tip. Based on the response it seems I may be reaching for the moon to get even a few more knots without a foil board. I’m leaning towards an ultra light foil kite to start with. The Soul or Pulsion seem to be a solid choice and I’m sure the Chrono would be as well. Once I’ve established the lower end of what my existing board is capable of with a foil kite, I’ll probably look to a foil board. I was even thinking a directional board like the Shinnster which has the ability to add a hydrofoil later. But that’s for a different forum post :).

I’m still hoping that some users who have used the Pulsion will have some comments how it boosts.

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm

NO LEI flys in less than 7 knots not gonna happen unless your sprinting upwind or have some massive current going on. lmao

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:37 pm

toddsphresh wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm
NO LEI flys in less than 7 knots not gonna happen unless your sprinting upwind or have some massive current going on. lmao
I have been foiling on my Flite 17 MANY times in this range and I weigh 235 pies, so not really sure why you say that?

Return to “Kitesurfing”