Forum for kitesurfers
Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Dakine XT vs Dakine Fusion

Postby Kitemanmuc » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:30 pm

Looking for the ultimate seat harness for racing. The Dakine Vega gives me a massive wedgie, so looking for a good alternative.

Anyone have experience with these two harnesses or have a better suggestion. Least amount of wedgie, most amount of performance :)

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Dakine XT vs Dakine Fusion

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:13 am

I haven't used the XT as it's for windsurfing, not kiting. However, I've had a Fusion in my harness quiver (yes, I somehow have about 6 different harnesses :roll: ) since it first came out in 2001. It is THE best seat harness that there is. The Vega is actually pretty good too, but a little bit bare bones for me. I think if you're getting a wedgie out of it, your leg straps are too loose. Maybe the rest of the harness, too, but for sure the leg straps. As I tell all of my students, the straps have to be snug, but not so tight you sing soprano. If they're too loose, you'll end up with a super wedgie. I've been out in 25-30 on a 17m on that harness (not on purpose, but several times) and it didn't ride up. It's got the best cushioning of any seat I've tried. Waist harnesses....everyone's middles are different, so what works for one may not for another. Seats are much more universal fitting. Try the Fusion and I think you'll love it. In the meantime, try your vega with the leg straps snug. You might find that you don't need to change at all!

SENDIT!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:07 pm

I've gone through four Fusions, changing them out after three or so years. They work well for me.

I read something yesterday that hydrofoil kiters benefit from going from waist harnesses to seat harnesses, true?

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:21 pm

RickI wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:07 pm
I've gone through four Fusions, changing them out after three or so years. They work well for me.

I read something yesterday that hydrofoil kiters benefit from going from waist harnesses to seat harnesses, true?
I think maybe the guys racing do, but I don't know that I could see why the average foiler would? Foiling is one of the times that I will for sure default to a waist harness with a rope slider. It allows much more freedom of movement than a seat does. The normal advantage of a seat is that it doesn't ride up and places the center of gravity lower. I think most of us foiling are also riding minimally powered and the waist harness doesn't really ever get pulled hard enough to move around. Except for when I crash and get dragged by the kite for a minute. ;)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:28 am

I started foiling 3 years ago using my RE waist with rope slider. Found it riding up a lot, probably because I was falling a lot. So after first season on foil I changed to a seat..
Then tried a Dakine Fusion, but found it was too bulky and limited my range of motion too much.
Then tried the Dakine surf trunk style seat harness. It's really good, gives enough support, range of motion, packs small. I don’t notice I'm wearing it even..Won't use anything else now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”