Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Need some advice as a new guy

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:21 am

Goavegas wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:30 am
At the end of your run downwind you walk back flying your kite over the water,it’s called “the walk of shame” but don’t worry even good kiteboarder have done it,and you will also learn some kite flying skill’s in the meantime.
And even the best still do it !

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:39 am

Toby wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:37 am
I don’t understand why you refused the help of the boats? Loosing energy goes incredible fast!!!

Plus: never get into a situation like that! This can be deadly within minutes!
I don't see how this could be deadly at all, it was a warm night, probably 22 degree air and 18 degree water. I was wearing a 5/3 wetsuit and a very buoyant vest and had a very buoyant surfboard.

Honestly I was never really worried about any harm, at any point I could simply let my kite go and paddle to shore in about 15 minutes. Sure it would suck to have to let the kite go but that was the only real risk.

Also keep in mind that while I call this off shore wind, I'm still in a big bay so I'll always end up at shore in 3/4 directions, it just might be a $50 cab ride away from where I parked.
EnglishBay.jpg
Now my reasoning for opting to swim in instead of taking the two different rescues that were offered were:
1) These boats are out there as part of the sailing club, which is very segregated from kiteboarding in the city of Vancouver. Taking a rescue from them means an added strike to kite access by the city lifeguards.
2) Kiteboarding in Vancouver isn't very well accepted, that's the reason I was so far away from shore, because we simply aren't allowed to be closer to shore by the lifeguards.
3) These guys don't know anything about kites and your kite can easily be damaged by them during the rescue. The only way I would actually do it is to fully deflate in the water.
4) I felt confident that I could swim it (in the end it was more of a challenge than I was expecting but even if I had failed it would have only meant the loss of my kite)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:13 am

Ok, thx for the info.
How about currents?

Many things to consider though.
At the end it’s your call.

Warm is anything close to body temperature.
Anything below costs you energy.

You just don’t want to experience what I experienced, therefore my warning. Not only for you, but also for other people reading it.

NoHater
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, HI
Favorite Beaches: Kailua Beach, HI
Gear: 9m, 12m Slingshot Rallys, Mystic Harness, Cabrinha Spectrum 140/42, 6'2" Liquid Force Rawson Quad

Postby NoHater » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I did already know my options, it just helps to get some opinions from guys that have been there.

Return to “Kitesurfing”