Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fixing inverted kite

Forum for kitesurfers
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Fixing inverted kite

Postby beebad » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:35 am

This is by far the best explaination of what to do:

These users thanked the author beebad for the post:
grigorib (Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:48 am)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Fixing inverted kite `

Postby edt » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:08 am

dude just ride back to the launch at your earliest convenience, land the kite and fix the kite with the kite parked, not ready to launch. You can ride with a line inversion for several hours without any damage to the lines and the kite will fly fine. I mean sure you can fix the kite this way but there's zero need to do it this way, and if you have a brand new kite there's always a chance that the damn thing gets away from you because your fingers slip and wham that's $1,000 down the drain. Don't learn that lesson the hard way.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:28 am

Agree with edt, it is maybe the worst way to untangle lines.

They even show "if you do it wrong", so you have to do it twice the other way, yiaks - doing this say out in the waves in the background, that is calling for BIG trouble :(
And you can not see which way it is as they cross so high, so only 50 % chance you get it right, so half the times you have to do it 3 times to fix it :o

Ride ashore and get it fixed, instead of risking yourself and your gear - easy :thumb:

Also, it is only possible on bars with a super low V, not with a high V of course, but not safe either on bars with a bit of short leader/knot line above the depowerline as many has.

I would not do it on the water and can defintely not recommend it, but each to their own :wink:

8) Peter

PS: It is good to know how it CAN be done, but would still not recommend it, particularly not for those not knowing how and seeing it for the first time....

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 pm

Yes, don't try to fix that when out. Unnecessary and possible dangerous.

Really inverted kite is when it is twisted so that lower surface and struts are above and facing the sky. I've seen that happen couple of times, in one occasion kiter just struggled back to shore with his shitty flying INVERTED kite. That was well done :) Other one used QR and packed his kite in low water.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:07 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 pm

Really inverted kite is when it is twisted so that lower surface and struts are above and facing the sky. I've seen that happen couple of times, in one occasion kiter just struggled back to shore with his shitty flying INVERTED kite. That was well done :) Other one used QR and packed his kite in low water.

True, it is NOT an inverted kite.

It is simply front/rear lines that are twisted because the kite rolls around or hindenburg through the lines.

Or if a line blows over the kite on land, they will be twisted oddly also.

8) Peter

kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Postby kitelife » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:23 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 pm

I’ve seen the same. Kiter rode it back to shore inverted.
Attachments
BC204C89-1F04-45B1-AFB9-FCBE28CB348B.jpeg

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:25 pm

Yeah an inverted kite is the real problem. How do you fix it, I dunno, usually I just pull the QR, then refly the kite after it sorts itself out if it's possible swim in if it's not. Pretty risky flying a kite inside out.

kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Postby kitelife » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:36 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:25 pm
Yeah an inverted kite is the real problem. How do you fix it, I dunno, usually I just pull the QR, then refly the kite after it sorts itself out if it's possible swim in if it's not. Pretty risky flying a kite inside out.
In this case the kite wasn’t inflated enough (or maybe a slow leak).
Last edited by kitelife on Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Anyone who flew the original 2006 Best Waroo knew about kite inversion... that kite would occasionally flip inside out in big gusts.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:20 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:08 am
dude just ride back to the launch at your earliest convenience, land the kite and fix the kite with the kite parked, not ready to launch. You can ride with a line inversion for several hours without any damage to the lines and the kite will fly fine. I mean sure you can fix the kite this way but there's zero need to do it this way, and if you have a brand new kite there's always a chance that the damn thing gets away from you because your fingers slip and wham that's $1,000 down the drain. Don't learn that lesson the hard way.
^^^ that exactly for “deep water situation”

But if I can stand and hold back kite pull I do exactly what video explains.

P.S. high-Y bar riders can’t do it that easily.
Last edited by grigorib on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”