Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fixing inverted kite

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:37 pm

For inverted LINES (like Damo and Evan address in the video), I disagree with the prior comments that coming back to the beach to re-run the lines is a better option. I use the techniques in the video all the time, and every advanced kiter needs to know them proficiently, although I do agree that they are not beginner techniques.

The techniques are particularly useful when launching with assistance on a crowded beach. If you know how to take an inversion out of your lines by rolling your bar, you can do it in 10 seconds while your assistant is holding your kite. That's far better than having the assistant put your kite down and then re-running your lines on the beach, particularly if others are waiting to launch or land.

If you get an inversion on the water, using these techniques is easy enough unless the wind is very strong, which makes it more difficult to hold the center lines while moving and rotating the bar. But it can be done, even in high wind. Maybe it's not overly disruptive to come back to the beach to re-run lines if it's not crowded but, where I kite, it's usually better to take care of the inversion on the water so that activity on the beach isn't disrupted and your session can continue quickly. :thumb:
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
beebad (Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:55 pm)
Rating: 10%

evan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Moses Comet 111 2018
Peter Lynn Aero
Brand Affiliation: Infexion
Peter Lynn
Moses

Re: Fixing inverted kite `

Postby evan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:48 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:20 pm
Anyone who flew the original 2006 Best Waroo knew about kite inversion... that kite would occasionally flip inside out in big gusts.
That kite is still imprinted on my retina. Saw one flying in a square pattern, inverting at the corners, turning 90deg and inverting again when it gained some speed. Repeating for what felt like minutes, that poor guy didn't knew what happened to him :lol: :lol:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:35 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:37 pm

The techniques are particularly useful when launching with assistance on a crowded beach. If you know how to take an inversion out of your lines by rolling your bar, you can do it in 10 seconds while your assistant is holding your kite. That's far better than having the assistant put your kite down and then re-running your lines on the beach, particularly if others are waiting to launch or land.
Let me tell you about holding the kite in the air for 5 minutes while the guy at the control bar flips it this way flips it that way gets confused flips it again 10 more times, and after 5 minutes he finally gets it figured out. A crowded beach is exactly the sort of situation where you just tell him set it down, then sort out your lines because holding the kite in the air like that means that the kiters coming it to land are sitting there with their kites at 12 waiting for you to do something. Of course, it's useful to learn this sort of technique, it's just that if you are an advanced kiter you already know all this stuff. So the videos teaching this are necessarily targeting beginners. Beginners are the last people you want to be messing around flipping their control bars around on a crowded beach. Anyway, I think we all agree that all intermediate kiters should learn this technique it's perfectly fine to use it on the water at your discretion it's just that this video is targeting people who don't already know how to do this (so it's for beginners) and giving them bad advice. Just kite back to the launch when it's convenient, then fix your lines. If you had told me you are an intermediate kiter, fully capable of doing this sort of technique, just now watched the video and learned how to do it for the first time, well then I guess I'm wrong about the target audience. But your an advanced kiter capable of judging the situation a lot better than someone who is learning how to do a line inversion for the first time. I would have had zero problem with this video if they had shown someone get a line inversion, kite back to land, have a helper land the kite, weight it down with sand and then show how to undo the line inversions. That's the way you want to start with figuring out how to do line inversions. When you do line inversions you are unhooking your leash so if you are doing it for the first time it's very easy for the kite to escape because you aren't used to how to control the kite with just tugging the lines instead of using the control bar.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Central Florida, USA

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:42 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:35 pm
Beginners are the last people you want to be messing around flipping their control bars around on a crowded beach.
+1. Agree 100%. :thumb:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:51 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:42 pm
edt wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:35 pm
Beginners are the last people you want to be messing around flipping their control bars around on a crowded beach.
+1. Agree 100%. :thumb:
Nah, their already doing 3 other things wrong, what’s one more. Sure it takes up time and beach space but that’s what beginners are for. To slow you down and create chaos and havoc. :roll:
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
FLandOBX (Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:16 am)
Rating: 10%

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine

Postby ap888 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:16 am

Best picture ever saw on kiteforum :lol: :lol:
Attachments
3B3369E7-2EA2-47AA-ABBA-3FBDEE04F279.png

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 am

ap888 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:16 am
Best picture ever saw on kiteforum :lol: :lol:

True, I think we have all seen kites invert like that, but very rare to get a good picture of that :thumb:

8) Peter

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby OzBungy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Stupid, stupid, totally moronic tips. Where do they find these morons?

You risk all sort of problems trying to untangle lines when the kite is perfectly controllable and you can easily ride back to the beach, land, fix the problem and take off again.

Maybe they're using irony to show us how stupid this is. Note that every untangle attempt ends up with an unhooked rider, back lines wrapped around the bar, and a fully powered kite.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Central Florida, USA

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:21 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:30 pm
Where do they find these morons?
Damien LeRoy and Evan Netsch? Uhhhh, that would be within the Cabrinha pro riders roster. :-?

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fixing inverted kite `

Postby skideeppow » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:07 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:25 pm
Yeah an inverted kite is the real problem. How do you fix it, I dunno, usually I just pull the QR, then refly the kite after it sorts itself out if it's possible swim in if it's not. Pretty risky flying a kite inside out.
Inverted kite is such an easy fix. Put the kite on the water, and pull on one of the outside lines. Leave slack on the other three lines. The kite will flap in the wind and then it will blow downwind, with the one line holding it.

The kite will then flap rightside in.

Works better in heavier winds.

Return to “Kitesurfing”