Action Cams in 2019 whats everyone using

Forum for kitesurfers
vannibombonato
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Action Cams in 2019 whats everyone using

Postby vannibombonato » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:12 pm

I have an insta 360 one x.

It would be a great camera, but it has a monumental flaw: in bright sunlight the screen is unreadable, making it completely useless.
I’m just back from an epic island trip and I simply couldn’t use it because of this.

ljerome
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: the Nature Trail, Lake Saint Claire, Michigan, USA
Style: OldSchool
Been thanked: 0

Postby ljerome » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Sun wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:28 pm
Those “from the bar” perspectives are fantastic! Excellent showcase for that the Fusion can offer! Probably the most refreshing, awesome new perspective I have seen.

Is the camera mounted to your bar float or on the bar end?
Thank you !

The camera is mounted at the end of the bar with the gopro handle bar mount
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... mount.html

CARMELHILL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 165 pounds
Local Beach: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Ponce Inlet
Apollo Beach
Style: Mostly twintip, starting foiling
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V1 - 7m and 12m (2018)
Cabrinha Switchblade 14 (2017)
Pansh A15 - 15m
Switch x4 bar (2018)
Best Float 33 (2006), Cabrinha Prodigy 158 for light wind (2005)
Slingshot Alienair 2019 with Naish WS1 (2018)

Postby CARMELHILL » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:11 am

I bought a Hawkeye Firefly 8s 4k late last year but haven't used it yet. It's a pretty much a GoPro with a zero no fish eye distortion lens. I was tired of the crappy editing to get rid of the lens flare.

https://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras ... iWEALw_wcB

I'm going to try it this spring on a Quark knockoff......

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:47 pm

I just bought a Rylo. Have not gotten it yet but seems to be sweet. I have a go pro 6 and cannot stand it. It never works. either the battery is not charged on the remote or it switches mode mid kiting session.

And the software is not intuitive.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:49 am

skideeppow wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:47 pm
I just bought a Rylo. Have not gotten it yet but seems to be sweet. I have a go pro 6 and cannot stand it. It never works. either the battery is not charged on the remote or it switches mode mid kiting session.

That is odd, and amazing we can have so opposite experiences :roll:

I have the GoPro 6 and it works splendid :D

The remote is great, and saves you loads of "going upwind only" memory space and time.

Simple and easy and just works, and still got all the advanced options you (I) need to tweak it max :thumb:

I have experienced two things though, but once you know this, no problem:
The remote CAN get into a lock up state - never when using it, but have seen it two times when charging, and it seems DEAD, not even light in the led when trying to charge.
There is a 10 second reset NOT described in the manual, and voila it works again - hold the power/mode button for 10 seconds (google it), and charge it again.

The other thing is an "SD error" I have seen a couple of times.
I thought - bugger, should I go back an reinsert the memory card? (helps on all other cams, as it is an often seen error with the micro SD cards), but found out I could just turn off the camera (and the remote) via the remote, and when powering up via the remote, the SD error is gone.
So could be done on the water when riding - sweet :D

That is another great thing, if you do a long downwinder in waves, then before the long upwind legs you can simply shut down the camera and remote to save power.
One battery last a bit more than one hour typically though, when powered full time, so quite good.

The 4 K gives an incredible resolution for still pics, sweet.

It is simple, small, stable and tough and got all the features needed (and more than that ususally ha haa), and video quality is amazing.

Love this little thing, combined with a Quark digital gimbal (lets see how long it lasts) it is priceless.

8) Peter

PS: What software are you talking about??? I just empty my SD card to the pc directly, fast and no software needed.

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:49 am
skideeppow wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:47 pm

That is odd, and amazing we can have so opposite experiences :roll:

I have the GoPro 6 and it works splendid :D

The remote is great, and saves you loads of "going upwind only" memory space and time.

Simple and easy and just works, and still got all the advanced options you (I) need to tweak it max :thumb:

I have experienced two things though, but once you know this, no problem:
The remote CAN get into a lock up state - never when using it, but have seen it two times when charging, and it seems DEAD, not even light in the led when trying to charge.
There is a 10 second reset NOT described in the manual, and voila it works again - hold the power/mode button for 10 seconds (google it), and charge it again.

The other thing is an "SD error" I have seen a couple of times.
I thought - bugger, should I go back an reinsert the memory card? (helps on all other cams, as it is an often seen error with the micro SD cards), but found out I could just turn off the camera (and the remote) via the remote, and when powering up via the remote, the SD error is gone.
So could be done on the water when riding - sweet :D

That is another great thing, if you do a long downwinder in waves, then before the long upwind legs you can simply shut down the camera and remote to save power.
One battery last a bit more than one hour typically though, when powered full time, so quite good.

The 4 K gives an incredible resolution for still pics, sweet.

It is simple, small, stable and tough and got all the features needed (and more than that ususally ha haa), and video quality is amazing.

Love this little thing, combined with a Quark digital gimbal (lets see how long it lasts) it is priceless.

8) Peter

PS: What software are you talking about??? I just empty my SD card to the pc directly, fast and no software needed.
I find that the remote's contacts corrode in salt water and have to be constantly cleaned with a knife and or vinegar to get the charger to work. That is my main problem now.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:39 pm

That remote charging issue on the GoPro Smart remote is maddening. It's been shit for 10 years and GP still hasn't changed it. Every person I know with a GP remote has the same problem if they use it in water.
I'm accustomed to the procedure for cleaning the terminals. Rinsing immediately after salt water helps for sure.

I did buy this thing off of Amazon this fall and it seems to always charge the remote. It's nice that is does my Hero 4 and Hero 7 batteries as well.
51luplo6LOL._SL1000_.jpg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:30 pm

Always got water in the car anyways, so I just pour a bit of water on the terminals before I drive home, when I have been out, blow hard so it does not drip in the car - and problem is solved.

No need to scratch or clean or anything, it charges just fine, and have been doing this for the 3/4 of a year I have had it (used many times a week in salt water).
If it one day should not charge, it is simply a matter of cleaning the terminals, easy.

I work in the electronic industry, so used to oxidation and corrosion issues, you can not avoid these fully, and i prefer a remote that can not fail because of water intrusion, like if you have a sealing as on cameras where there always is a risk of it dying.

Noticed this issue immediately when I got the remote last summer, but have just poured water on the end of the remote ever since.
It is like that on all devices with open surfaces so I understand they havent changed this as not easy to solve, without getting disproportionately expensive.

A charged remote lasts much longer than a couple of GoPro batteries anyways, meaning 2-3 hours in my experience.

But it seem you have experienced a lot more problems with this, sounds annoying :roll:

8) Peter

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Fri May 31, 2019 10:27 pm

Is the go pro 7 waterproof enough without housing? It is rated at 10m, however with kiting there may be some extreme crashes and I am not sure if it will survive.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:32 am

HALF wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:27 pm
Is the go pro 7 waterproof enough without housing? It is rated at 10m, however with kiting there may be some extreme crashes and I am not sure if it will survive.
I would definitely say so (so far). 2+ hour foil session the other day with plenty of hard wipeouts learning/practicing new moves. Performed like a champ. Really like the open mount frame the comes with it
Attachments
6E64B5E0-9810-4B6A-A65C-6FC086E9F6F8.png
These users thanked the author Dave K for the post:
HALF (Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:56 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”