Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Action Cams in 2019 whats everyone using

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Action Cams in 2019 whats everyone using

Postby Laughingman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:12 pm

So I know there was a thread a while back with tons of great info... unfortunately I cannot locate the thread

Anyhow, what is everyone using now, the new GoPro look amazing but they are also pretty pricey.... alternatives?

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: Action Cams in 2019 whats everyone using

Postby POACHER » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Bought a Hero 7 Black this fall when it launched. $400 isn't great, but they gave me $100 trade in credit for my paperweight Hero 1.
In terms of a GoPro, I do think this is by far their best iteration. The HyperSmooth image stabilization is pretty damn good. After waiting patiently for the Revl Arc to come to market (and fail) I think the Hero 7 is a great action cam option. It does take amazing footage. It's not quite their tagline "gimbal killer" but does well. If you mountain bike too, I think it does the job.

Now, I've had my Hero 7 glitch out on me already. I had to hard reset it (at sea!) just to keep it working for the session. I do think I had water intrusion somehow, but I wasn't using it in the waterproof housing either.
Overall I rate it a 7/10.

I am curious about the Insta 360x cam. I just saw a really awesome snowboard clip on Youtube shot on the Insta. I could see some kite applications there too.

Sony has been kind of quiet in the action cam market for the past year. So that's kind of a wildcard left open. Nothing introduced during the Barcelona electronics show last week....
I don't think Garmin has released any new cams in awhile either?........
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post:
Laughingman (Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:35 pm

I use the GoPro 6 as a linecam, works great.

For a kitecam it is unfortunately almost impossible to find good cameras (GoPro and similar are useless...), because the mobile phones has killed all motivation so the last MANY years, not a single new cam has come up - in fact the only one that worked well has been discontinued :cry:

So because everyone either use action cams super wide angle, or has mobile phones, some of them watertight, the watertight pocket cams with optical zoom, ideal for kitecams, are not developed anymore and has stagnated with years old models, ALL of them :(

Bugger, but how it is - I were lucky to find two old Sony cams used on EBay, so I can get by now as my current is worn out after lots of use.

The GoPro is not that expensive, if you look at it, the risk of losing it is zero if you mount it right, and can be used for years and got ALL the cool features and high quality :thumb:
Even better, the remote is the best thing that has ever happened to action cams, so you dont waste loads of digital time/memory "going upwind doing nothing" ha haa :naughty:

8) Peter

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:39 pm

POACHER wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:18 pm

I am curious about the Insta 360x cam. I just saw a really awesome snowboard clip on Youtube shot on the Insta. I could see some kite applications there too.
Wow I just watched the product video on that cam... pretty impressive but 5.7K!
What do people use to edit with? I tried to edit 4k with my Lenovo Laptop... intel Xeon 3.ghz and 16 gig of Ram with a Quadro M2200 and it was painfully glitchy and slow... so much so I now shoot at 1080...

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:27 pm

I'm still using my GoPro Hero 5 Session and very happy with it. I use it with the GoPro Bite Mount.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
Peter_Frank (Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:36 pm

I have the Hero 7 Black. Only reason to get it is for the image stabilization. I you want cheaper, I would skip the Lower tier GoPros and get a Yi cam. Not as good as GoPro, but probably the best cheap option.

GoPro is still the best for mounts, accessories, and dead simple point-and-go set-and-forget camera. You literally just turn it on and go.

If you want better footage in a more involved and less robust setup, get the DJI Osmo Pocket. It is AMAZING. Anybody willing to set it up and get the waterproof housing should get AWESOME footage.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:35 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:39 pm
POACHER wrote:

What do people use to edit with? I tried to edit 4k with my Lenovo Laptop... intel Xeon 3.ghz and 16 gig of Ram with a Quadro M2200 and it was painfully glitchy and slow... so much so I now shoot at 1080...

Wow, your machine hiccuped with 16g of ram? Processor overclocked probably.

Yeah I hear ya. 4k is sooooo nice played on a 65" OLED tv, but it involves a whole new rig of hardware and storage to deal with editing it. I'm due for a new laptop this year, (my Lenovo is ready to retire) and I don't have a clue what to buy. I know some of the hopped up Ram Dell XPS, Lenovo X1 Carbon/Extreme, Razor and Mac Pro will do it, but they are $3k+ laptops. Do I care enough about my kiteboarding/biking footage to justify buying all that shit too when 1080p 60fps still looks pretty good. I know for about $600 I could build a desktop machine to handle 4k, I just like having the portability of the laptop. Editing on the plane ride home is a great way to burn a couple hours.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:48 pm

POACHER wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:35 pm
Laughingman wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:39 pm
POACHER wrote:

Wow, your machine hiccuped with 16g of ram? Processor overclocked probably.

Yeah I hear ya. 4k is sooooo nice played on a 65" OLED tv, but it involves a whole new rig of hardware and storage to deal with editing it. I'm due for a new laptop this year, (my Lenovo is ready to retire) and I don't have a clue what to buy. I know some of the hopped up Ram Dell XPS, Lenovo X1 Carbon/Extreme, Razor and Mac Pro will do it, but they are $3k+ laptops. Do I care enough about my kiteboarding/biking footage to justify buying all that shit too when 1080p 60fps still looks pretty good. I know for about $600 I could build a desktop machine to handle 4k, I just like having the portability of the laptop. Editing on the plane ride home is a great way to burn a couple hours.
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't 4k just increase the field of view, it doesn't provide any better resolution if you digitally zoom in ... or does it?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:55 pm

these days the graphics chips and particularly, well written drivers and software, make a big difference for editing 4k

apple are very good at this - even the entry 13"mac pros (dont my a macbook tho!) . Processor speeds have not gone up so much in the last few years as they did due the limitation of the max speed of electrons.

for simple lofi editing on your phone "quik" is amazingly good and free (gopro make it)

4k can be good for zooming/cropping to 1080 - used to be that digital zoom is useless - not any more.

i wish there was a 3x zoom waterproof action cam without a fish eye - otherwise makes 10ft waves look 4 ft and 4ft waves 10ft when filmed close enough

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:51 am

Just started using the Go Pro Fusion, which is cool for the 360 degree thing, but i'm super excited for auto horizon leveling. Check this footage (not awesome riding, but just as an example of horizon leveling).

The 360 is sweet too, but processing the videos is a nightmare....

Return to “Kitesurfing”