Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Cuba or Colombia in March

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:23 pm

during winter the lower Caribbean gets better trade winds. Towards summer they move further north, that's when Cabarete is best. But lower is still good!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 pm

TangTonic wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:12 pm
Yeah - but it hasn't just been Cabarete. I have the sense that Dec/Jan was good through most of the Caribbean. It looks like it was very windy in Barbados, the Windward Islands, the Antilles, Venezuela/Colombia etc. Windier, in general, than Cabarete. The place that hasn't benefited from this is Cuba ... because Cuba doesn't get reliable trade winds in the winter months.

Wrong, we have had a terrible winter season. Many light wind days.
All I can say for sure was it was a windy Dec/Jan in Cabarete. Judging by the forecasts it looked windy in Barbados, St Lucia etc. & points further south. What was happening in St Croix?

dirtybeach
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish Tomo WMFG

Postby dirtybeach » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:33 pm

Just scored 10 days straight (out of 11) at Cayo Guillermo. 9-12m kites

That’s two years in a row that we scored good wind there in March, using the “secret” method of when to book a trip. I booked mine 5 weeks out btw.
🍻🌴

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:10 pm

dirtybeach wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:33 pm

That’s two years in a row that we scored good wind there in March, using the “secret” method of when to book a trip. I booked mine 5 weeks out btw.
🍻🌴
Frontal wind? The terrible cold weather in NA may have translated into cold fronts hitting the north shore of Cuba. Scroll to the bottom of this page (today)

http://www.kitexcite.com/wind-forecast/

you can see the north wind hitting Cuba & the DR & disrupting the easterlies in the northern Caribbean. As usual, the easterlies seem to be pumping off the shore of Venezuela & Colombia.

dirtybeach
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish Tomo WMFG

Postby dirtybeach » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:24 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:10 pm
dirtybeach wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:33 pm

🍻🌴
Frontal wind? The terrible cold weather in NA may have translated into cold fronts hitting the north shore of Cuba. Scroll to the bottom of this page (today)

http://www.kitexcite.com/wind-forecast/

you can see the north wind hitting Cuba & the DR & disrupting the easterlies in the northern Caribbean. As usual, the easterlies seem to be pumping off the shore of Venezuela & Colombia.
It was half and half, pretty good pattern, lots of morning wind and all day blows

Return to “Kitesurfing”