Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Duotone 2020 bar with new lines?

Postby Exal » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:44 pm

A lot of complaints on the interwebs about the lines. I use the 2018 click bar and have talked to many people the last 4 months who use the bar/lines and never heard a complaint. Since I am new to the sport, I can't really judge the quality of lines since they are still pretty new. Just hope the price doesn't skyrocket if they change it. If they can keep the price and increase quality, more power to them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuS31Otn3KV/
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
purdyd (Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Re: Duotone 2020 bar with new lines?

Postby Sun » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:15 pm

I snapped a click bar line in Cape Town during a jump. No issues falling back to the water luckily, but the self rescue back was less fun. The bar was used but not abused. Snapped at a larks head in the middle of the front power line. On the same trip, had another guy I was riding with snap one of his lines on the Click bar too.

The dealer in CPT hinted at new lines coming, so this Instagram post seems legit.

About damn time. All I want to make the Click bar perfect is the Ozone Click In loop and to replace those shitty, terrible, atrocious lines.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Very encouraging.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:28 pm

I snapped a click bar after 10 months of use, shit lines

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:30 pm

The problem though is not the clickbar or the lower lines but the flying lines. It's also a problem on the Trust Bar. After 2 years, these lines show much more wear than other lines/bars. I am done with Duotone/North lines. I am replacing mine now with lines from Liros.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:33 pm

I would welcome the improvement.

My friend and I got 2017 Click Bars pretty early on. I had nothing but issues with mine and his were fine. Mine stretched really bad, needed constant tuning, and frayed to the point of being unsafe to use. (very similar use as my friend too) Love the bar, hated the stock lines.

I did remove those lines, sent the bar to Kiteboarding.com and had them redo the bar with Q-Power Pro 22m w/ extensions. Now this bar is incredible. There's really a tangible improvement. Not cheap, but I'm not second guessing my lines on a kite loop now either. These should last awhile.

I did just buy a new 2017 Click bar as a backup bar, off of Ikitesurf a couple weeks back. I have a new 2018 line kit to put on it, but I'll try the stock 2017 lines and see if these are good or bad. It's entirely possible there was a production run of these that maybe had suspect lines go out.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:54 pm

That would be 50,- extra...

surfkite25
Rare Poster
Gear: dice

Postby surfkite25 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:00 pm

I have both a 2017 click bar and trust bar with 22m lines. I have not broken a line yet, but with all the chatter over the last year about North/Duotone line quality, it is a concern in the back of my mind. Especially in powered conditions or facing a long swim to shore. Fortunately it looks like Duotone will be addressing this issue.
Last edited by surfkite25 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:05 pm

cor wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:30 pm
The problem though is not the clickbar or the lower lines but the flying lines. It's also a problem on the Trust Bar. After 2 years, these lines show much more wear than other lines/bars. I am done with Duotone/North lines. I am replacing mine now with lines from Liros.
I think it is both but the flying lines definitely get frayed especially fast. If you look at some of the we test kite pictures of broken lines, a lot of them are the leader lines.

But you need to double check your red line that goes through the black PU and the leader lines near the floaties and inside the bar.

I personally have not seen any wear on the leader lines inside the bar. I have seen some wear on the red line where just above the black PU. I think it rubs against the gray line somehow.

And of course the flying lines fray up just looking at them. Mine were fraying more than I thought normal at the kite end from simple normal untangling when running out the lines. And every time I mess with the larks head on the end of the lines I really get worried about the line at the connection. It seems really prone to fraying. I think it is a combination of the loose 8 strand braid and the roughness of the lines.

I replaced those lines with Liros and eurocord SK99 lines. They have a much tighter braid and are much smoother. And have less stretch.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
cor (Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:01 am)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Probably now Duotone started to take look to their problametic lines because thrue North will release too this year their new and first kite sets with new bars. Will be direct open battle for few years who will who in the marked. Its good finally for uses. Of coruse bar prices will go more higher:(

Return to “Kitesurfing”