Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Cabrinha and slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginner kite line question

Postby hookedcook » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:48 am

So, I have bought 3 new kites and bars, all 3 different, 2015, 14m, switchblade, 2016,9m rally, 2017 12 m switchblade, I travel a lot and rented a lot of different kites all over. I'm intermediate but kite on a very irregular basis with my job, 8 months in between last time, so can go upwind fine, transition, and jump. Sometimes higher and faster than I intend but its tough to resist!! Usually land fine with some bad technique. I have the 12 switchblade, it just seems so so, did 1 lesson and Belize when I just brought the kite. The instructor said the same thing. I have seen the whole line on a fixed place tree thing. The kite hasn't been used enough to stretch lines ?(4 hours?) Question how often are the lines wrong from the factory. Can that make for a slow kite or is it just what I have?

hookedcook
Rare Poster

Re: Beginner kite line question

Postby hookedcook » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:52 am

Tried a north evo in Brazil a couple of years ago and was sold. Just rented a 10m switchblade in Grand Cayman and had a great time. Fast and responsive, if I tried to jump it took me up and landed soft, not like my 12 m where I feel like I'm constantly pulling the bar from on extreme side to another just to get the kite to respond

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:21 am

Line stretching could have been missed on a "Friday". What you are describing is likely just back lines being too long. Put them on the knots closer to the kite. Or add a very short pigtail to the front lines to make them longer.

What ever you do, test out the kite in light wind as you could be compromising depower with the above suggestions. That means the kite may have more power than you expect, and the bar throw alone may not depower the kite safely.

hookedcook
Rare Poster

Postby hookedcook » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:35 am

LOL, I work on boats and when I'm not working traveling. Usually when I kite in the last couple of years its always a mix of gear in random places. Mostly not on my own kite. I bought this switchblade 12 and it seems to suck so far, going to fish in Panama but stopping by Punta Chame and going to San Blas. I'm easy and not that good, just a question before I'm on a boat for a week?

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:51 pm

Assuming nothing is actually wrong with your lines or stretched brides, you can try adjusting the bridle/rear line attachment points. Make sure the rear line is as close to the end of the leading edge as possible, there is probably a marking there for "least bar pressure", or "fastest turning" (or both). I'm not sure if you can adjust the front line bridles at all on switchblades, but there might be a setting that makes it sit farther forward/back in the wind window. Maybe called wakestyle or freestyle mode. If you can adjust this, put it on the setting that flies farther forward in the window, this will lighten up the feel.

If you think something is actually wrong with the bar, you can just use your 14m bar or the slingshot bar to test, they're all compatible with each other, they just may be different sizes.

That aside, the "signature feel" of a switchblade is a slow mushy feeling, with delayed inputs. If you've just come from flying like...any other kite, you might just be noticing this.

Return to “Kitesurfing”