Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Xcel Drylock X 5/4 hooded - the best one?

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Xcel Drylock X 5/4 hooded - the best one?

Postby omg » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 am

I need a new suit and I want it to be
1) super warm
2) doesn't suck water like a sponge (some suits do)
3) be light weight

I guess there are pretty much Rip Curl's Flashbombs, Patagonia's suits and then Xcel, but due to fitting, I think the Xcel would suit me best.

Have you any experience on the Drylock X, please?

Thanks!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Xcel Drylock X 5/4 hooded - the best one?

Postby BWD » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 pm

I would have confidence in the xcel. I have an xcel 6/5/4, not drylock but the next one down in cost. It keeps me comfy as low as 38-40 F / 3-4 C water. I expect the 5/4 drylock would do as well. Don’t size it too small. Thinner xcel suits you may need to size down slightly. My L 3/2 xcel is a stretchy bag, while the winter suit fit is great. Worth trying on for sure and keep in kind the stretch factor - more in thin suits, less in winter suits.
These users thanked the author BWD for the post (total 2):
omg (Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 pm) • horston (Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:39 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Very popular here in Massachusetts. And trust me we know cold.. I personally prefer dry suits but lots of my buds rock the Xcel Dry lock and love them...
These users thanked the author matth for the post:
omg (Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:14 pm

After trying many different winter wettys the one thing I learned is that it has to fit you perfectly. All the high end ones are good, stretchy and warm. Can't go wrong with Xcel, Rip Curl, O'Neil, NP and Mystic. If you look long enough you find negative reports about any brand/wetsuit model. Try as many as you can, a good test for me was the fit on my lower back and trying to be in the upper weight range of the wetsuit size guide. Ended up with a flashbomb 5/4 but not hooded, got the mystic legend hood, xcel drylock boots and gloves. Also get some legstraps to avoid elephant legs, mystic has some if you are looking.
The Xcel Drylock X2 in 5/4 that I tried did fit well and was super warm, only problem was the fit around my skinny neck. (186cm, 78kg, tried L and then MT)
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
omg (Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:58 pm)

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:02 pm

Thanks very much for the feedback.

One more question; is the Xcel watertight, ie. does water get through the neopren?
I mean I currently have NP Elite 5/4 and it has this smooth skin outside and it's basically dry inside from core area, but unfortunately now some of the seams in the crotch area is leaking quite a bit and no glue attaches to it?!? I have tried couple of neopren glues, but no luck :/

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:59 am

Bump, do you get water through the suit or only via arm, leg and neck hole, please?

Thanks!

mb8494
Rare Poster
Gear: switchblades
Has thanked: 0

Postby mb8494 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:30 pm

I highly recommend the hooded drylock 5/4. I've had it for the last 3 years. I kite around Massachusetts and i'm happy when it's sunny and 40 degrees. With hard wipeouts, some water gets in through the leg and neck sometimes but I never get water in through the arms. I was bodydragging for 2 minutes in 38 degree water last week and although I could feel the water was cold I was still pretty warm and I stayed dry inside the suit. I wear boxers underneath the suit and they are usually dry after a session.....unless i take a piss in the suit 8) I hate drysuits so this is what gets me out in the cold. Also when the air is a bit warmer, it's comfortable enough to rock the suit without the hood and put it around your neck.
These users thanked the author mb8494 for the post:
omg (Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:20 am)

mb8494
Rare Poster
Gear: switchblades
Has thanked: 0

Postby mb8494 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:31 pm

Also, i'm never concerned about water temperatures......only air temps.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:45 pm

xcel has been the primary suit for our local surfing community for last 10 years or so. Excellent suits, decent prices.

Drylock: best they have
Revolt: next best
Infiniti: 3rd best. Still solid, not as nice finishing on cuffs, inside material not as fluffy (not as quick drying and wicking)
Axis: untested, entry level, just got a cheapie off Amazon, will see how it is.

Brand new suit is basically semi dry, you won't have any water in it until you have a wipeout. Has more or less ruled out peeing in suits, especially kiting, as it won't flush. LOL

I tend to replace them after roughly 1.5 seasons, once they start getting leaky. That's probably 100-130 uses is my guess.

Watch amazon.com and evo.com for deals.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
omg (Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:20 am)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:29 pm

I have been using ripcurl flashbomb 5-3 several years. Bought a xcel 5-6 drylock with integrated hood this fall and used it all winter, about 10-12 times now. Water is 2-6c air 2-10c.
It's really warm, comfortable in use. A bit difficult to get over and off shoulders, but there's a specific technique that I've learned, and it's not a problem.
Id highly recommended it.
Today was 4c water, 8-9c air and it was warm. Had to jump in the water to cool down..
Using 7mm xcel drylock booties too, those are outstandingly warm too, but the Velcro arch strap won't stay attached, I should just cut them off.
Gloves I use are Nookie "drylock" 3mm, budget UK brand, but work great.
I can also recommend the NP edge shirt that I wear underneath, it makes everything warmer and the material slides on the inner wetsuit lining better than my hairy body.
In old dude, not very flexible.

Return to “Kitesurfing”