Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do you know the Kitesurf Right of Way Rules? Find out how to determine if you have priority

Forum for kitesurfers
taabsr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: North orbit
Brand Affiliation: None

Do you know the Kitesurf Right of Way Rules? Find out how to determine if you have priority

Postby taabsr » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:48 pm

When going into the water, there are some rules you should be aware of. Check these 3 tips that can help you access if you have to change direction or keep going.

These users thanked the author taabsr for the post:
Toby (Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Do you know the Kitesurf Right of Way Rules? Find out how to determine if you have priority.

Postby magic%20Ed » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Very good explanation, because he is relating all rules to the global sea laws.

About waveriding: you do not have right of way because you are on a wave, but because for you it is more difficult to manoeuvre. So if a big lip is hitting the person going out, this changes the richt of way to you, being the waverider, to give way, because in that situation, you are more able to manoeuvre (depending on the situation off course).

All the rest is about being nice to each other, not about rules :)
These users thanked the author magic%20Ed for the post:
taabsr (Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:52 am)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Do you know the Kitesurf Right of Way Rules? Find out how to determine if you have priority.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Just saw this

rules 1.png
rules 2.png
rules 2.png (377.72 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
taabsr (Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:55 am)

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Great vid! I can't find anything I disagree with - a first for me!

But can you clarify:

1. at about 4:00 I believe you are describing when a wave breaks close to the beach with no room for 2 kiters between the wave and dry land/too shallow water for fins - are you saying that kiter inside must stop kiting and walk up onto beach?

2. could you split up this section into two parts where (a.) there is plenty of room for 2 kiters inside of the wave after it breaks and (b.) where there is not enough room on the inside for 2 kiters on the inside of the wave after it breaks.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
taabsr (Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:55 am)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Do you know the Kitesurf Right of Way Rules? Find out how to determine if you have priority

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:43 pm

If you are at a wave spot, wave rider should be given priority.

If you are at a mixed spot things are more complicated.

e.g. Cumbuco. Not a wave spot. Many TT riders, which go out and in with according right hand rule.
If there is a little wave running, you will see some wave riders, shooting thru the TT riders upwind to downwind (wind is sideshore), destroying the whole system.
In this case wave riders DO NOT have priority. Actually they behave very dangerous by moving their kite back and forth quickly.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
taabsr (Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:00 am)

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:47 pm

magic%20Ed wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:22 pm

About waveriding: you do not have right of way because you are on a wave, but because for you it is more difficult to manoeuvre. So if a big lip is hitting the person going out, this changes the richt of way to you, being the waverider, to give way, because in that situation, you are more able to manoeuvre (depending on the situation off course).

Rules make us nice to each other because they avoid conflict/collisions. Nothing can be more heated in kiteboarder interaction than after 2 kites tangle and you find you need to replace a lineset.

Your first statement about "why" you have the right of way, is to my understanding, incorrect. The entire point of kitesurfers (before us, windsurfers) changing the sailing rules was to allow for riding the wave without interruption. If the waves are only around 1 meter that day, then that is the wave size that everyone gets that day. And regardless of whether or not you have the skill/capability to jump back over that wave, you still have right of way if you stay on that wave, over an outgoing rider (who has enough room on the inside to change directions and avoid the rider on the wave). If waves are over a meter that day, but someone is engaging a smaller wave of 1.5meters then there is somewhat of a dispute as to whether that person was actually riding a wave on that day.

The problem here is that it gets very complicated with the multiple variables of skill level, how the break lays out at that location/tide level/wave size, wind strength, and number of users on the water including non-kiters. This last one can really complicate things when you have swimmers in the same area as kiters where a kiter needs to turn around to avoid a swimmer but the kiter behind does not see the reason why that kiter is changing direction.

Over all, the rule needs to be very simple with few exceptions. And this vid is good at not getting too in depth to where misinterpretation may cause one person to think they have the right of way over the other, when they do not.

Personally, I do not always fit the "down the line" wave mold, though sometimes I still do. I like go back and forth on a wave, roll it from the back into the pocket, then go back over for another try. With each aerial maneuver disengaging the wave face and ending up on the back side, I loose the right of way as I am no longer technically "riding" that wave, even though I am on one side or the other and focused on that one wave. This means that if I want to ride like I prefer to, I have to go off somewhere where there are no other kiters in the break, on a wave, or soon to be coming out. Thus for me, space is the best way to avoid collisions since I cannot use the normal rules. And my only way to solve these issues with my riding style, is to kite in cold water at locations that are not crowded.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
taabsr (Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:03 am)

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: Do you know the Kitesurf Right of Way Rules? Find out how to determine if you have priority

Postby knotwindy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 pm

How to check if you have priority?

You don’t, I’m a local so I do.
No matter what. Always.

Deal with it....

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster

Postby taabsr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:55 am

magic%20Ed wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:22 pm

The main point is common sense. For me, a wave is something that is making me have to go in a particular direction; otherwise, it's chop. But as you stated, being friendly and helpful was what got me hooked to this sport as I came from surfing background and I was disappointed at it due to the growth and not great vibe involved in the sport.

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster

Postby taabsr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:00 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:32 pm
Great vid! I can't find anything I disagree with - a first for me!

But can you clarify:

1. at about 4:00 I believe you are describing when a wave breaks close to the beach with no room for 2 kiters between the wave and dry land/too shallow water for fins - are you saying that kiter inside must stop kiting and walk up onto beach?

2. could you split up this section into two parts where (a.) there is plenty of room for 2 kiters inside of the wave after it breaks and (b.) where there is not enough room on the inside for 2 kiters on the inside of the wave after it breaks.
1.- I'm talking about those situations that you are riding almost on the shore break and there is someone entering, meaning if you have to turn around and you hit land or are put in danger of jumping in to land due to the fast change (for instance in side-onshore winds) In this case the wave is ending so let the person enter.

2.- I'll try to include a more detailed explanation next time. Thanks for the imput

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster

Postby taabsr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:04 am

knotwindy wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 pm
How to check if you have priority?

You don’t, I’m a local so I do.
No matter what. Always.

Deal with it....
Hope you don't travel then... As you will be local in one spot only and the beauty of kitesurfing is that all of us can enjoy the wind together.
These users thanked the author taabsr for the post (total 2):
Toby (Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:02 am) • cor (Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:10 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”