Goofy_foot
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish/ Slingshot mostly
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Pivot Quiver recommendations?

Postby Goofy_foot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Hello,

I've been riding 7-9-12-17 quiver the last few years. I grabbed a 12 pivot and seem to like it enough to get a few more. I'm trying to decide 8-10-12, or stick with 7-9-12 setup.

185# twin tip rider mostly, I travel to kite, Caribbean, Mexico, Hatteras, South Padre, Hawaii mostly.

There's seems to be a huge gap between my Park 9 and my 12 Pivot. I probably tend to fly over powered, usually cut it off around 35mph in open ocean. My 7 Park hardly ever gets used tho.

Opinions?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Pivot Quiver recommendations?

Postby tautologies » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 pm

The 10 pivot is magic for TT riding. I love the 9 for surfboard, but going lit and jumping on the 10 is awesome. It is a bit wind / spot dependent and you do not say how much you weight and what type of TT riding you do mainly, but there is definitely overlap between the 12 and 9, but its a lot more convenient with the 10 to 12. If your 7 barely gets used, then just go 12 - 10 - 8.

I would personally look at what kite I use the most. If it's a 9 and you tend to be slightly underpowered then that answer gives itself. If it is 9 and you are usually well powered and do not want to go overpowered then stick with the 9. If you never use your 7 you can still go 9 - 8. There is a big difference in the upper tolerance. My only concern would be the times you do need your 7 tend to be pretty epic days right? Or you do not care? I can hold 9 quite comfortably the 9 in 35 mph in open ocean.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:41 pm

Just keep in mind that the Pivot is more powerful than your Park. 8m Pivot has the range of the 9m Park. I took a meter less on all sizes when I went from Park to Pivot.
These users thanked the author Dirk for the post:
Goofy_foot (Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 pm

Dirk wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:41 pm
Just keep in mind that the Pivot is more powerful than your Park. 8m Pivot has the range of the 9m Park. I took a meter less on all sizes when I went from Park to Pivot.
This is a good point for sure. Pivot definitely is more powerful than the parks.

Goofy_foot
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish/ Slingshot mostly
Been thanked: 0

Postby Goofy_foot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:38 pm

tautologies wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 pm
The 10 pivot is magic for TT riding. I love the 9 for surfboard, but going lit and jumping on the 10 is awesome. It is a bit wind / spot dependent and you do not say how much you weight and what type of TT riding you do mainly, but there is definitely overlap between the 12 and 9, but its a lot more convenient with the 10 to 12. If your 7 barely gets used, then j personally look at what kite I use the most. If it's a 9 and you tend to be slightly underpowered then that answer gives itself. If it is 9 and you are usually well powered and do not want to go overpowered then stick with the 9. If you never use your 7 you can still go 9 - 8. There is a big difference in the upper tolerance. My only concern would be the times you do need your 7 tend to be pretty epic days right? Or you do not care? I can hold 9 quite comfortably the 9 in 35 mph in open ocean.

1) I would personally look at what kite I use the most.

That's the problem with traveling to kite, it's season and spot dependent, sometimes I'm glad I pack around the 17.

2). and you do not say how much you weight and what type of TT riding you do mainly,?

185#, freestyle.

3) My only concern would be the times you do need your 7 tend to be pretty epic days right?

Yes, but that's also when I tend to do stupid stuff and get hurt...

4). If you never use your 7 you can still go 9 - 8. There is a big difference in the upper tolerance.

This is interesting, the upper end between the 9 and the 8 seems to be greater then the low range?

What do you feel is the upper end of the 8, not just being able to hold it, but where it feels comfortable?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:49 am

Goofy_foot wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:38 pm

1) I would personally look at what kite I use the most.

That's the problem with traveling to kite, it's season and spot dependent, sometimes I'm glad I pack around the 17.

2). and you do not say how much you weight and what type of TT riding you do mainly,?

185#, freestyle.

3) My only concern would be the times you do need your 7 tend to be pretty epic days right?

Yes, but that's also when I tend to do stupid stuff and get hurt...

4). If you never use your 7 you can still go 9 - 8. There is a big difference in the upper tolerance.

This is interesting, the upper end between the 9 and the 8 seems to be greater then the low range?

What do you feel is the upper end of the 8, not just being able to hold it, but where it feels comfortable?
Well I do not own an 8, but my buddy uses it when I go out on my 7 slash...I feel it is the right kite for one the locations I kite...so its very tempting to add it even if I have a 9 and 7 (the 7 is a slash).
I think because the pivot has such a wide usable windrange, the difference between the low end isn't as prevalent as the upper range. Once you go out of the comfortable range you feel it in a different way on the upper range IMO..if it is too light it can be a bit annoying, but once you are way overpowered its a different experience all together. Anyways..not sure if I am very good at explaining my point here. but if you like riding powered maybe the 10 - 8 combo is right....taking into consideration that the pivot has quite a bit more low end than the park.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
Goofy_foot (Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:29 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”