Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

Comparisson between the Naish Pivots vs Core Nexus

Postby k2thiago » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi, have anyone flew these two side by side (Naish Pivots 2018/19 Vs Core Nexus), or, even better, owned both of them?
How is the flying behavior? Which one is overral more stable? Potential use for foil? Why would you choose one against the other? Totally biased opinions are welcome (at the end we are all humans), as also impartial ones ( if there is such a thing).
Thanks

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Comparisson between the Naish Pivots vs Core Nexus

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:21 pm

Ridden them both. Both are good kites.

Pivot turns a bit faster and has a lighter feel in the air. Nexus is stable and predictable, it turns quick but I would not call it fast.

For me and my riding style, the Pivot wins out. When I am on a Pivot, the kite just goes where I want it, when I want it there, almost intuitively. Pretty much every other kite, I have to put it where I want it. i know that sounds weird, but the Pivot flies like it knows what I am doing and gets ready for it.
These users thanked the author rogue_kiteboarder for the post:
k2thiago (Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:33 am)
Rating: 3.03%

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:32 am

rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:21 pm

Pivot turns a bit faster and has a lighter feel in the air. Nexus is stable and predictable, it turns quick but I would not call it fast.

For me and my riding style, the Pivot wins out. When I am on a Pivot, the kite just goes where I want it, when I want it there, almost intuitively. Pretty much every other kite, I have to put it where I want it. i know that sounds weird, but the Pivot flies like it knows what I am doing and gets ready for it.
Thanks for the answer!
What about the potential for foiling? Would you say that both are suitable?

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood

Postby flysurfing » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:08 pm

I'd say go for the Pivot ! Much more versatile and if you like big air this is the kite to go for !

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:46 pm

k2thiago wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:32 am
rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:21 pm

Thanks for the answer!
What about the potential for foiling? Would you say that both are suitable?

You can use either for foiling, I have only foiled with the Pivot. But I would go for a foiling kite like the Boxer or the Ultra, they excel for foiling.
These users thanked the author rogue_kiteboarder for the post:
k2thiago (Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:24 am)

ice1969
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 180
Local Beach: New Jersey
Favorite Beaches: Anegada / Loblolly Bay, Sandy Spit / Jost Van Dyke
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Slingshot SX 143
Nobile XTR
Been thanked: 0

Postby ice1969 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:02 am

I appreciate these posts. I'm considering the Nexus and the 2020 Naish Pivot. The Nexus 1 is still apparently available -- at rarely discounted prices since the Nexus 2 is now out -- and the Nexus 2 is a little too rich for my blood with looking to buy two kites. One of the things that is making me lean toward the Core is their apparent dominance in build quality. Are they build that much better than Naish or Cabrinha or the rest? Thanks!

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:39 am

No, they are not. That is an impression built by marketing. Naish kites are very well made and durable using the quadruple ripstop canopy material for example. The Pivot works very well for foiling. German Gleiten TV Magazin was impressed how stable the 12m flew in 8 knots on the foil and put it down to the efficient shape of the kite apparently counter balancing the higher weight of a 3-strut kite. That said, in these winds I do prefer my Naish Boxer.

I flew an 11m Nexus in an test event briefly. I am on Pivots (11/8m) for years, so very used to that kite, so a comparison is not utterly fair. I was not impressed, thought the Pivot felt more crisp and direct. Interestingly, I liked the GTS a lot more (in 12m), that was a fun kite. However it compares more to the Naish Dash, which I also have ridden.
These users thanked the author Dirk for the post:
ice1969 (Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:41 am)

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5

Postby Chicken-loop » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:31 pm

I just sold my Core XR5 and after 3 years and not a wrinkle in the canopy. The dacron they use is awesome and plays big part in how stable the airframe is and how long they last but it is heavier than the teijin that Naish use. Core quality is awesome. I didn’t like the white bar or twist release, but it was light and reliable. The Sensor 3 looks better.

However I kept my Pivots because they I enjoyed flying them more. Quality is also awesome, but I would happily have the Nexus if my preferred kite shop sold them. I really like the Naish bar and the lines have exceptional wear characteristics.
These users thanked the author Chicken-loop for the post:
ice1969 (Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:55 pm)

ice1969
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 180
Local Beach: New Jersey
Favorite Beaches: Anegada / Loblolly Bay, Sandy Spit / Jost Van Dyke
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Slingshot SX 143
Nobile XTR
Been thanked: 0

Postby ice1969 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Chicken-loop wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:31 pm
I just sold my Core XR5 and after 3 years and not a wrinkle in the canopy. The dacron they use is awesome and plays big part in how stable the airframe is and how long they last but it is heavier than the teijin that Naish use. Core quality is awesome. I didn’t like the white bar or twist release, but it was light and reliable. The Sensor 3 looks better.

However I kept my Pivots because they I enjoyed flying them more. Quality is also awesome, but I would happily have the Nexus if my preferred kite shop sold them. I really like the Naish bar and the lines have exceptional wear characteristics.
Thanks for this info! What type of riding do you do, I.e. twintip freeride, surfboard in waves, hydrofoil? What is your weight and what size Pivots do you use in what wind ranges? Thanks again!

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:26 pm

I do all the above, but predominantly TT. Large TT 44cm width and small with 41cm width. I weigh 73 kg.

11m Pivot: starting 11-12 knots with large TT. Sweet spot around probably 15-17 knots with smaller TT gusting into low 20ies

8m Pivot: 18 - 30 knots (gusts). 20-25 knots are perfect.

At 30 knots plus gusts I currently use a 7m Naish Slash also for TT, which works pretty good.

Return to “Kitesurfing”