Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Vacuum bags

Postby BernieTomic1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:26 am

Do you guys have experience with using vacuum bags to reduce packing size of your kites?

Could it be bad for the kites?

Best regards
Bernie

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Re: Vacuum bags

Postby lightwind » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:18 am

I used them couple of times. It’s perfect solution for traveling, saves lots of space. Just make sure that your kite is folded nicely before you vacuum. I was traveling like that and I was using kitebag as my hand luggage.

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:48 am

What lightwind said. Ive used them before. They allow you to pack down real small. Be super careful if you have battens in the trailing edge- you really don't want them puncturing the canopy. I didn't evacuate 100% in case it over stressed the valves- this was 10 years ago and my newer kites have neoprene valve covers now, so maybe I wouldn't worry about that doing it again. I also didn't want- or suffer- from savage crease lines but it wasn't the a new kite anyway.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:38 pm

I have used vacuum bags in the past but I think you are better off using kite compression bags.
More durable. don't need use of vacuum while on vacation.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Yeah I was considering getting a couple for my bigger kites to take on vacation. I know they really do a nice job of compressing your kites and make them quite a bit smaller for travel. That said I'd be tentative to really compress my kites that much. Probably doesn't hurt the canopy, but the one pump system, bladder and valves would make me question them. I ended up getting Mystics new compression bags instead. Pretty basic rip stop bags with compression straps and backpack straps. Much lighter than the stock bags that come with your kites. Now each kite has it's own bag on vacation so they're not just left laying around in a heaped mess in the car or my room.

* I don't compress and pack them until the very morning I depart. As soon as I get to the destination or home, I immediately undo the compression straps. Not sure this makes a difference or not, I have to think leaving them tightly packed isn't the best long term.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Agree, I use Mystic compression bags and only tighten them just enough to make them fit a travel TT bag.

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:57 pm

I've used vacuum bags, and did so without a vacuum. As others have said, fold and pack the kite as neatly as you can, put it in the bag, and close the zip-lock. Then instead of using a vacuum just open the valve and lay flat on the bag to squeeze as much air out as you can, and then close the valve. I think it's a good compromise between a tight vacuum seal and a compression bag. Worked great for me that way.

Return to “Kitesurfing”