Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Board leashes are cool for wave kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Board leashes are cool for wave kite?

Postby zerogee_ca » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:00 am

What's the story on board leashes in the GKA? Does the GKA have a rule requiring them? For special situations maybe? Everyone is using them in this wipeout clip.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Board leashes are cool for wave kite??

Postby BWD » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:14 am

Im a recreational rider. I’ve used a leash when the shore was mostly rocks and cliffs with only pocket beach exits. Its a calculated risk. You cant lose the board in some situations. For event competitors, there are timed heats, they can’t chase their board for 10 minutes, the heat will end. Sometimes it makes more sense to have a leash than not. You have to be careful though.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:36 am

there is no doubt they are close to getting smashed hard out in the head but it is the situation..

potential smashed head vs kite down and getting smashed in inpact zone without a board and with bad rips/sweep...

there is something else- wear some neoprene even in the tropics - you dont need much to flat you, mind you it isnt going to help much as you get smashed in 10 ft heavy impact zone

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:34 am

I don't think it has anything to do with being "cool".

It is a safety feature.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:49 pm

I forgot to mention, when using a leash i wear a helmet, just like I would when foiling.
A helmet is always a good idea when there is potential for faster, bigger crashes and collision with objects or terrain. I wear one most sessions lately.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:58 pm

kite_hh wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:34 am
I don't think it has anything to do with being "cool".

It is a safety feature.
excactly.

They nee dto get back to the board quickly.
If they loose it they loose time and the board gets smashed onto the rocks.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm

BWD wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:49 pm
I forgot to mention, when using a leash i wear a helmet, just like I would when foiling.
A helmet is always a good idea when there is potential for faster, bigger crashes and collision with objects or terrain. I wear one most sessions lately.
That raises the larger question for me. I understand why these competitors use a board leash in a timed heat with rocky shoreline. But using the leash increases the risk of head injury. So why do they not wear helmets when using the leash? (Chime in, "bucket effect" folks.)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:27 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm
BWD wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:49 pm
That raises the larger question for me. I understand why these competitors use a board leash in a timed heat with rocky shoreline. But using the leash increases the risk of head injury. So why do they not wear helmets when using the leash? (Chime in, "bucket effect" folks.)
everyone is responsible for their lives...

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:42 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm
(Chime in, "bucket effect" folks.)
The bucket effect is primarily an issue with a helmet that fits too loose or a chin strap that has not been tightened. If you have good fit, and manage your chin strap, you minimize this effect to where it is extremely unlikely that you will ever experience the bucket effect, let alone be injured by it. But do not put yourself at risk by using a loose fitting helmet or loosely adjusting the chin strap. Personally, I would also fear the bucket effect if my helmet was too loose and would just go without. But I would score a new good fitting helmet the next day.

While a sample size of one person does not make for a completely reliable statistic, I have not had a bucket effect injury in all my years windsurfing and kitesurfing. I have, however, been saved from impacts that damaged the helmet (would have knocked me out) on almost a dozen occasions. Thus 11 saves to my head (keeping me from drowning), and 0 issues with my neck, makes me believe the helmet is worth it.

Oh, and I have not used a leash on any directional since the "reel leash" on TT's along time ago. When I progressed to directional boards, I was good enough to body drag in pretty much any condition. That said, if rocks or a dangerous reef were an issue at a location I could not avoid, I would definitely consider using a leash.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
FLandOBX (Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Re: Board leashes are cool for wave kite?

Postby pixelpedro » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:50 pm

WOW that clip is totally rad!

95% of my riding is non-rocky beaches so I only put the leash on my board when it's really big or when I travel and kite a rocky place, since a helmet is horribly uncomfortable and bulky (to me) I use a bump cap liner in either a baseball cap or my dakine indo-hat. it has already saved my head a few times, yes not as safe as a helmet but I think is a great compromise between safety and comfort.

I actually bought several to test out and this one is by far the more comfortable one.

https://www.amazon.com/Ergodyne-Skuller ... &s=gateway

Return to “Kitesurfing”