Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Board leashes are cool for wave kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Board leashes are cool for wave kite?

Postby kite_hh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:27 pm

zerogee_ca wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:03 am
It looks like they are using longer leashes too. For years, I used a 12 foot big wave leash (distance is your friend and thicker too, for no slingshot effect). There are things you could do to further reduce the slingshot because you can feel where and what the board is doing behind you. I get hit in the head by my board WAY more :no1: :no1: :no1: without the leash.😬

Without the leash, the board beats me downwind and sometime beats me to the beach. If it doesnt run me over in the process. 😂
Haha. Totally! :D
zerogee_ca wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:03 am
I was amazed at how much more free the surfing felt when I stopped using the leash though.🏄‍♂️🤙
I can relate, but currently being wrapped in 7mm of neopren a leash on my ankle is the least that keeps me from feeling "free". :rollgrin:

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Board leashes are cool for wave kite?

Postby Slappysan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:50 am

For those who need a visual explanation of why all the leashes here (at 2:35):

This was in side shore winds with a flat sandy beach and it took me 1 minute, in the case of on shore, off shore, or hazards I use a leash.

Also, I don't need to worry about wearing a helmet because I use a soft surfboard instead!

Return to “Kitesurfing”