Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Can I use a single control bar for all my kites?

Forum for kitesurfers
jadog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Indiana
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Rally Kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Can I use a single control bar for all my kites?

Postby jadog » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:35 pm

I just purchased a Slingshot Sentinel 50cm bar with 27M lines. My desire was to use ONLY this bar with my 12M, 9M, and 6M quiver of Rally kites. After it arrived I realized that my older bar and lines previously used for my 6M and 9M kites only has 20M lines. Now I'm thinking it would have been better to have bought a bar with only 23M lines and then used 3M extensions for the 12M. Note that I only currently use a twin tip board. Any thoughts from those of you with experience in this area?

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Can I use a single control bar for all my kites?

Postby evan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Also note that slingshot lines are 1.5m longer including leader lines. So the total length is 28.5m when you compare it to an Ozone bar with 27m as Ozone states the actual total length including leaders (as it should be). Most other brands are 0.6-0.8m longer than advertised.

28.5m lines are airstyle territory, not recommended for freeride, waves etc.
Besides that, a 6m on a 50cm bar can be a bit twitchy/too fast for some riders.

jadog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Indiana
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Rally Kites

Postby jadog » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:06 pm

I'm not into big air, and no waves at this point. Freeride would be my category. The longer lines wouldn't slow the kite turning speed down, right? It would only delay the input if I'm thinking correctly...

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Line length doesn't change kite turning speed but only the wind window. Shorter lines give a more direct feeling though, especially with the smaller kites. I personally fly 22m on 9m and 7m kites and 20m on 5m.

So, yeah... 23m + 3m extension would have been the wiser choice in my opinion. Your 6m and 9m Rally would feel much more sporty with shorter lines.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:20 pm

If I could only have one bar it would be the big one you have. Because I do like both fast turning and the extra low end from the long lines.
If the wind is not super clean and steady in your area esp from trees or topography etc the longer lines will help smooth it out a bit by having kite up higher.

Ulrik
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Hydrofoil,Waveriding
Gear: Shinn BronQ CRB4
Groove Skate 130,
Nobile Kite skim
Kitech FreeRS
Naish Pivot
Gong Unik
GONG KITEFOIL ALLVATOR FREEWAVE

Postby Ulrik » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:16 pm

If You feel that the 6 m kite gets too twitchy on the 50 cm bar , then move your hands closer together on the bar.
This will increase the power needed to steer the kite.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Yes, you can. I've been using 50cm bar with 24m lines for all my kites

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:21 pm

evan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:45 pm
Besides that, a 6m on a 50cm bar can be a bit twitchy/too fast for some riders.
Smaller bars are a great "crutch" for those just just starting to go down in size, and up in wind speed. They can make your initial experience much more comfortable because they limit ultimate turning speed. Later on in your experience, you may want to play around with maximum turning speed allowed by a small kite. At that point, you may want to try your biggest bar with your smallest kite.

For using a wide bar with a small kite, there are ways to train yourself to handle a small kite on a longer bar. The best way to train is to buy (cheap used, of the same make as your 6m) (oops! EDIT - buy a 4m in the same make as your 6m) and fly it on land with the biggest bar you have. If you train this kite hard by doing drills such as not looking at the kite the entire session, crossing the window and trying to do instant redirects, and multiple loops, you can get used to a faster tempo than you will have to use on the water with your 6m. This is the fastest way I know of to train yourself to push the limits of a smaller kite.

For line length - I used to use different lengths, but since I have the same model kite across my entire quiver and use the same bar width, I have found that different line lengths just add another factor to compensate for when changing sizes. If you can reduce the number of things that change when changing kite sizes, you can fly more instinctively without as many mistakes. So my recommendation is that you pick a line length, and stick with it. Given ther largest non-light wind kite for a rider of say 14m (if your light wind kite is a 17m) I would size to that. If you are going from 6m-14m, and you use a 9m more than an 11m, then 20m lines across all kite sizes may work. But if the 11m gets more usage than the 9m, then 23m for all kites may be better. If the 14m is the most used, go with at least 23m-24m lines. That said, I seem to be very much in the minority in this view, so take it with a grain of salt. I personally use a 55cm bar with my 3.5m kite (surfboard, not hydrofoil).
Last edited by Matteo V on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:48 pm

+1. Agree with Matteo.

I use one 55 cm bar with 20 cm lines for all my LEI's (7, 9, 12, 14 m). I like the responsiveness of smaller kites on the big bar, and I prefer not having to bother with line length changes. I think you get comfortable with whatever you use. A single bar for all LEI sizes works for me. (Caveat: For foil kites, I use separate bars that remain attached to the kites.)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Yes.

I use the same bar length for my smallest 3.5 m2 all the way up to the 15 m2.

Line length you could choose std 23 m for all your sizes, no problem.

Only if the wind is on the limit, you will benefit hugely by having the 3 m extensions.

But as such if the wind is in the sweetspot for the 12 m2, I see no reason to use longer lines.

Thus you could use one bar for all.

In reality though, you will often be out on the verge to sufficient power with your 12 m2, and want the longer lines :wink:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”