Good kite for boat

Forum for kitesurfers
br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Good kite for boat

Postby br44 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:06 am

Kite boating is largely a fantasy, IMHO. By the time you get any good at it, you will realize that you can have way more fun with a board or hydrofoil. But if you want to proceed, the first step is researching what others have already done. Oh, and some actual kite flying experience will help a lot too.
http://www.peterlynnhimself.com/Technic ... Papers.php

Munti
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Northern part of Norway
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: Boat
Gear: Peak4
Been thanked: 0

Postby Munti » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:29 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:36 pm
I would start with 16m to 20m lines for first trials.
the peak4 comes with 14m + 7m lines, so I'll just start with 14m then.

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:36 pm
Again and unlike standard sailing, I advise you to turn downwind (gibes) rather than upwind (tack) to avoid boat backward risk , thus having kite pull in your normal forward direction to finish your turn With no need of reverting boat driving weel . Then when you get comfortable with kite and boat combo, you can test tack upwind.
Makes a ton of sense to me. I sail square sail, and always go downwind with unexperienced crew (happens often) unless the wind is so light that it doesn't matter if they f*ck up. that's my boat on the book cover.

Munti
Rare Poster

Postby Munti » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:58 pm

So, I got my Peak4 a week ago, and have played with it a little. I really like it! :)

Now I'm concerned with launch/retrieval. As I understand it there were some four line reel bars around in the old days. Looks like they were not popular amongst the kitesurfers, but could be good on a boat. Does anyone know where I could buy one of those?

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:01 am

Maybe Cory Roeseler might have a few still kicking around from his Kite Ski days in the early 1990's.

Suspect he's still living in the Columbia River Gorge, somebody on this forum might know how to get hold of him, or try on the Pacific Northwest kite forum - http://nwkite.com/forums/f-1.html

Munti
Rare Poster

Postby Munti » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:44 pm

GregK wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:01 am
Maybe Cory Roeseler might have a few still kicking around from his Kite Ski days in the early 1990's.

Suspect he's still living in the Columbia River Gorge, somebody on this forum might know how to get hold of him, or try on the Pacific Northwest kite forum - http://nwkite.com/forums/f-1.html
Thanks. I joined the forum and asked for him. Lets see if that helps.
In the meantime I'll hope for more tips in here.

Progress report: Still learning everything from flying to the lingo you guys use. Did a little flying today, and I think I made a breakthrough. Pretty sure I now know what it means to taco a kite :lol:

Munti
Rare Poster

Postby Munti » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 pm

So, Flowbee reelbar will be here in 1-2 weeks (thanks for the tip 4liner). I will practice flying the kite while I wait. I shortened the lines to 14m today to make it easier to focus on other aspects than depowering. While I was at it I also removed 5th line. Allthough I really like that line, it's kind of messing things up now in the beginning when I do just as much origami as flying. Speaking of that:
I removed all of 5th line exept the 7 meters closest to the bar. Left everything as it is at the chicken end, and attached the other end where the front lines are attached. Then moved the O-ring (that comes attached to 5th line) as far towards kite as it would go. Then I attached one of frontlines to that O-ring (the end of the frontline still attached where it should be). By the looks of it when testing on the ground, the kite should now be able to flag out on frontline. Was not enough wind to test in the air. Did I do something totally stupid, or is it ok?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:26 pm

Sorry cannot visualize, maybe take some picture. But either way - Connect your leash to fix point. Stretch all lines - connect three lines which are not leash line to rope or screwdriver or anything, now run as fast as you can with these lines. There must not be any resistance at least 7m . Frontline safety simulator TM :)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:37 pm

Munti wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 pm
I shortened the lines to 14m today to make it easier to focus on other aspects than depowering. While I was at it I also removed 5th line.
What bar are you currently using?

Munti
Rare Poster

Postby Munti » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:59 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:37 pm
What bar are you currently using?
Flysurfer connect

Lazy kiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Seattle
Favorite Beaches: Windy beaches
Style: On a board
Gear: What ever works

Postby Lazy kiter » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:18 am

Not going to lie... Didn’t read through this whole thread but if these guys weren’t already mentioned it may be worth contacting them. Seem to have experience in the subject

https://instagram.com/kitetenderkiteboa ... 598bjqkzv6

Return to “Kitesurfing”