Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Thailand Kitesurfing ?

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:17 pm

I'm off to Thailand in 2 weeks time. Is it worth taking my kites (Naish Torch's 14m, 11m, 10m, 9m and 7m) I ride a 134cm Shinn Monk and am 88kg.

Current plan is arrive in Bangkok and then travel around. I was thinking of just packing the 14m, harness and lines and trying to rent a board outn there. Seems there is a daily breeze in Hau Hin but it only seems to hit 15/16mph and with it being warm wind that will barely get me crusing around ?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Thailand Kitesurfing ?

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 am

wind is lighter indeed.

Take your 14 and a harness.

Then depending on conditions you rent a board. Many schools and shops in Hua Hin. Best place to go in that area.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:52 am

thanks Toby. Anyone out there currently, how windy does it get ?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:51 am

Some friends of mine was in Hua Hin some weeks ago. Looked decent from a video I received. They were jumping around a bit, but definitely light. And as far as I know it will be getting lighter and lighter every day now.

Personally I wouldn't want to drag a bag with me, but obviously depends on how your are travelling and how much you will be moving around.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:55 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:17 pm
I'm off to Thailand in 2 weeks time. Is it worth taking my kites (Naish Torch's 14m, 11m, 10m, 9m and 7m) I ride a 134cm Shinn Monk and am 88kg.

Current plan is arrive in Bangkok and then travel around. I was thinking of just packing the 14m, harness and lines and trying to rent a board outn there. Seems there is a daily breeze in Hau Hin but it only seems to hit 15/16mph and with it being warm wind that will barely get me crusing around ?
If the weather stays the same you should be fine on your 14 in Hua Hin. Check the forecast before you go https://www.windguru.cz/273 If it's sunny and clear you can add another 5 knots on forecast due to thermal.

I was there from beginning of Feb until mid March. Almost every day I was on my 11 m and surfboard. The last couple of weeks many days on my 8 and surfboard. I had a good combo and most guys were on TT and 9-12 when I was on my 8. I still have friends over there and they kite almost every day. Heading into April wind could start to fade but if the forecast still looks the same it's definitely worth taking your kite with you. Hua Hin is a beautiful spot.

Also, note that the wind increases a lot during the day. Normally it's better from 3-5 pm. Many days I was using my foil with the 11 or 8 during mid day and then changed to my surfboard later in the afternoon when the wind increased.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm

magnusod wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:55 pm
BillyGoatGruff wrote:

If the weather stays the same you should be fine on your 14 in Hua Hin. Check the forecast before you go https://www.windguru.cz/273 If it's sunny and clear you can add another 5 knots on forecast due to thermal.

I was there from beginning of Feb until mid March. Almost every day I was on my 11 m and surfboard. The last couple of weeks many days on my 8 and surfboard. I had a good combo and most guys were on TT and 9-12 when I was on my 8. I still have friends over there and they kite almost every day. Heading into April wind could start to fade but if the forecast still looks the same it's definitely worth taking your kite with you. Hua Hin is a beautiful spot.

Also, note that the wind increases a lot during the day. Normally it's better from 3-5 pm. Many days I was using my foil with the 11 or 8 during mid day and then changed to my surfboard later in the afternoon when the wind increased.
Any good tips for housing. I’ll be in the area for most of April.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:13 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm
magnusod wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:55 pm
BillyGoatGruff wrote:

Any good tips for housing. I’ll be in the area for most of April.
I haven't stayed here myself https://www.huahinsportvilla.com/ but heard good recommendations from guys at kitesurfing spot. It's approximately 30 USD per night, 150 USD per week and only 300 USD for a month. Pretty good location. Hotels are pretty cheap also if you check Agoda.com or Booking.com.

ARK
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby ARK » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:27 am

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:52 am
thanks Toby. Anyone out there currently, how windy does it get ?
I have been many time to Hua Hin. I only take my 12m

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Anyone in Thailand currently ? I will be landing this Satuday and heading Hau Hin. Thinking of just packing my 14m Naish torch (covers me from 13mph to 25mph - 90kg, Shinn 133cm monk) How is the wind currently ?

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:29 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”