Forum for kitesurfers
dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: What's the thing with Duotone?

Postby dylan* » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:50 am

alford wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:30 am
Faxie, you wrote "Performance Ozone and PL".
What is PL?
Probably Peter Lynn. Smaller niche brand, I think they're more popular with the land crowd? Never seen one in person.

Sun
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Gear: 15m Chrono V2
12m Hyperlink
12m, 10m, 8m Dice (2018)
10m Roca V2
6m Alana (2016)
Naish Stomp 142
Nobile XTR
Nobile Zen Split Foil Board
Zeeko Blaster, Spitfire (Normal & XLW)
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sun » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:20 am

I have been through my share of kites. Owned Best, Caution, Naish, North, Cabrinha, and Ozone. I recently switched my bread-and-butter Best TS quiver for a North Dice quiver. Did so only because I felt the Dice was like a refined, more technical TS. Seems like the just happen to make some good kites. Their ages-old Iron Heart QR is second only to the new Ozone Click In Loop, but the line quality does suck. They really are trash. Looking forward to seeing them move to new lines in 2020.

I think others have hit the nail on the head: Kites are basically priced evenly across most brands, and North happens to have a great distribution network and sales team. I don't think their gear is any better than Eleveight, Ozone, Naish, or so on, they might simply be the better businessmen.

pablomontanero
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Has thanked: 0

Postby pablomontanero » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:17 am

After owning Core and Naish, I flew Ozone Catalyst and Zephir initially and then Edge and Enduro for the last 10 years. During these 10 years I tested F-One Bandit, Slingshot RPM, Slingshot Rally and North Evo. Last year a friend at the beach offered me to try his North Dice. I was very positively impressed. I tested the kite again at a Duotone dealer. The overall flying characteristics was just again so smooth and playful with great pop, jumping and landing. This difference in flying characteristics triggered a full brand switch for me just about 2 months ago. I sold all Ozone kites and bought a set of Duotone Dices. I just returned from a 2 week kite holiday on which I could test the kites thoroughly. Luckily this confirmed again that it was absolutely the right decision to do the switch. The quality of the kites and bar looks and feels very high. But I guess durability will show over the next few years. The lines are the only thing which look and feel like quite a bit lower quality compared to the Ozone lines. So in my case, no marketing or image was the reason to buy, just a much better feeling of flying the kites, which is obviously a very personal impression.
These users thanked the author pablomontanero for the post:
Sun (Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:16 am)
Rating: 10%

caduo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: cabrinha

Postby caduo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:54 pm

duotone has the most complete package,from quality and wide range products,top marketing,top riders,top videos,innovations and minimum issues ,in the industry so it s obviously no 1.

eenzwemvijver
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Oesterdam - The Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: El Gouna - Egypt
Style: old school
Gear: F'one Bandit 11 m2 2016
North Evo 9 m2 2017 and 12 m 2018
North rebel 11 m, 9 and 8 m2 2018
DSD intel stallion 5,2
Boardschmiede 135 x 40 , Shinn Bronq 2017, North x ride 2017 , SU2 pro series 2015

Postby eenzwemvijver » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:51 pm

i had RRd , Cabrinha , Best , Fone , Naish, core , and now for the second year North / duotone . I think there are small differences in the kite's but after 3 years on the Pivot's ( witch are very good kite's and i love the octopus system ), i had the chance to buy a Evo 2017 . I was really impressed by the smoothness off the kite and the windrange so i switched to 2018 North Rebel and Evo , year after Duotone Rebel and Evo . The line's are really shit ( broke mine 3 time's in 2 years , about 80 kite day's / year ) so i have Dyneema line's on my north bar now ! and a F-one bar ( witch you can put on low and high V for any kite ) .
Had two days off testing with my brother to choose between core XR5 and Rebel . Both good kite's but the Rebel is Smoother , it is all what you like the most .
So i like Duotone kite's and think they are really good and good quality ( but that is also for Naish , core etc... ) but the worst line's off all the brands i had !!!!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Newbrighton near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach for the Foil, Rhosneigr for the Foil and twintip.
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: 2019 Groove Skate 130, naked carbon with gold stripes
101cm Moses Carbon mast
71+90cm Slingshot masts with moses adaptor
Moses- 633 wing set
Moses - 683s wing set
Ozone V4 Reo 6/7/8/9
Ozone Alpha V1 10mtr
Ozone Chrono 13mtr V3 ultralight
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
North 2018 click bars with Q power lines
massive grin

Postby Foil » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:14 pm

windmaker wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:07 pm
Duotone make excellent stuff but so do few other top brands (Cabrinha, F-One, Naish, Ozone etc). Maybe their marketing is better but I can see things changing after their split with North sails. Very few on my spot anyway so it is probably country related?
Duotone kites, colourways are not at all appealing to me, dowdy, bland, dull,
the best bar though.
click.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:39 am

Faxie I cannot believe how full of shit you are. Just when I think you can’t possibly dribble more shit, somehow more comes out....

Been at this 20 years. Flown them all over the years. Still think duotone are the best flying kites on the market - the smoothness and feel across the range can’t be beaten ... yet (apparently something “fundamentally wrong with their designs”...you really are a complete numbnut faxie saying such utter crap. I hope no one ever takes your bullshit seriously).

Lines suck, sort it out duotone. Been saying this for years now and finally crew are catching on.

That being said ride ozone reos on my foil though, superb wave and foil kite. My boy is on the new Ozone Amp C kite which is a really good wing.

Now .... duotone have a massive corporate cheque book for team riders and sponsorship across the globe. So that is a major factor for sure... they can offer some really good team rider deals (as my boy was offered) for unknown local rider. Most brands can’t afford that.

F one is the big mover last year though. Watch out for them. They are being aggressive as well with their local tram rider deals etc in Australia’s anyway... probably the same worldwide. Make good quality kites though so in the end the wings have to be good to stick around.
These users thanked the author Teabageppo for the post (total 2):
Leon van Bergen (Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:52 pm) • cor (Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:19 pm)
Rating: 20%

caduo
Rare Poster
Gear: cabrinha

Postby caduo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:47 pm

picking a kite from one brand ,a board from another,lines from another it s like seeing the tree and not the forest,you see the entire range of products and there is no brand that can come even close to duotone.
These users thanked the author caduo for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:52 pm)
Rating: 10%

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:49 pm

caduo wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:47 pm
picking a kite from one brand ,a board from another,lines from another it s like seeing the tree and not the forest,you see the entire range of products and there is no brand that can come even close to duotone.
Is that an argument for buying every piece of kit from the same brand ?

Leon van Bergen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebels 6M, 8m & 11m, 17m Roca, on my Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Teabageppo wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:39 am
Faxie I cannot believe how full of shit you are. Just when I think you can’t possibly dribble more shit, somehow more comes out....

Been at this 20 years. Flown them all over the years. Still think duotone are the best flying kites on the market - the smoothness and feel across the range can’t be beaten ... yet (apparently something “fundamentally wrong with their designs”...you really are a complete numbnut faxie saying such utter crap. I hope no one ever takes your bullshit seriously).

Lines suck, sort it out duotone. Been saying this for years now and finally crew are catching on.

That being said ride ozone reos on my foil though, superb wave and foil kite. My boy is on the new Ozone Amp C kite which is a really good wing.

Now .... duotone have a massive corporate cheque book for team riders and sponsorship across the globe. So that is a major factor for sure... they can offer some really good team rider deals (as my boy was offered) for unknown local rider. Most brands can’t afford that.

F one is the big mover last year though. Watch out for them. They are being aggressive as well with their local tram rider deals etc in Australia’s anyway... probably the same worldwide. Make good quality kites though so in the end the wings have to be good to stick around.
Totally agree with this about Faxie..

Return to “Kitesurfing”