Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wave kite size recommendation

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wave kite size recommendation

Postby Flyboy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:04 am

For a long time my biggest wave kite was a 9m. Got frustrated on a few trips to Cabarete when the were many days when the wind was too light for a 9m & I was using a 10m flatter kite (LQF NRG) that was terrible for wave riding. Got an 11m Cabo & it made a HUGE difference. Very fast turning for a big kite. Obviously, a smaller kite is ideal, but a fast turning 11m is still fun.

Justin Stuart
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tenerife, Denmark, West Oz, New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Coronation, El Cabezo, Klitmøller, Hanstholm
Style: Wave
Gear: Shinn boards Airush kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby Justin Stuart » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:03 am

I’m similar weight and reckon an 8m Airush Ultra would be pretty epic. It would give the power like a normal 9m (or more) for the bottom end, but they have a massive de-power with a very capable top end, resulting in a huge range! I recently got a 7 and a 10 which easily cover me from about 12 knots up to around 25ish knots, my normal kiting conditions! Bonus is they don’t take up any space or weigh anything. These kites improved my wave riding straight away with how fast they turn and how hard they are to drop!
These users thanked the author Justin Stuart for the post:
Coloradokiter (Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:48 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:21 am

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:04 am
For a long time my biggest wave kite was a 9m. Got frustrated on a few trips to Cabarete when the were many days when the wind was too light for a 9m & I was using a 10m flatter kite (LQF NRG) that was terrible for wave riding. Got an 11m Cabo & it made a HUGE difference. Very fast turning for a big kite. Obviously, a smaller kite is ideal, but a fast turning 11m is still fun.

True, but you said you had a flatter kite, so of course a "wave" kite will be a lot better.

The thing is though, having a C (Hydbrid) kite, say a 10 or 11 m2 North Vegas or similar, it turns even faster than a similar powered wavekite, at least it turns "better" also, meaning you can get more power in the turns which is precisely what you want in light wind in general and particularly when riding DTL, as opposed to big wavekites that pivotturn with no power, not good and mostly for heavy riders.

Whereas when windy, the pivotturn without much power and also huge depower, is needed to be able to ride in flow DTL.

At least my view and experiences :wink:

Which size you should choose, also depends on the conditions of course, if the 20-25 knots are very rare, and 15-20 more often, then a bigger kite could be the compromise yes.
Also, if you got quite big waves in light wind, it could also be fun with a bigger kite.
As opposed to some spots where the good waves only comes when it 20-25 knots, and not much in 15-20 knots of wind, then it wont make much sense with a big wavekite, unless you want to practice in almost no waves.
Are you living in a really warm place and riding mostly in +30 °C (+ 86 F), then a tad bigger kite is needed in your wind.

I would still prefer to use your current C kites in the low end, and get a medium wavekite for when its blowing, instead of a big one, but so many parameters influence the choice.

At least you got lots of different viewpoints now, and can just choose yourself :rollgrin:

8) Peter

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:28 am
I’m not a huge wave rider...yet. I usually ride C kites but want to add 1 wave kite to my quiver for next season, riding waves in 15-25 knots primarily. What size would you recommend for a one kite wave quiver.

Thanks!

I have a 2018 Ocean Rodeo Roam for sale....it's a 9.5 in mint condition ..

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:11 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:10 pm
If you already have kites and are buying a pure wave kite.... don't get anything bigger than a 9. Use whatever you've got when its light and use a 7,8,or 9 wave kite once it gets good. Bigger than a 9m and your not really into wave riding territory. Still kiting, still fun, but any kite will do.

C kites can be super fun in waves, but again, smaller sizes for actual wave riding. Pure surf kite your going to gain, light feel, quicker response, control even when sheeted out, less power while turning, more downwind drift and loads of depower. All great in wavy conditions. If your going to get a pure wave kite, you owe it to yourself to get one in a size that will really shine.

Size depends a bit on your weight, and if you like to ride powered on a small board, or ride a bigger board with less kite. For most people 9m is a great size for the best power to agility trade off.

Either way, IMHO waves kites don't really start until you get down to 9m.

And Wave kites also are super easy to relaunch which can be a kite saver if you drop your kite.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:21 am
Flyboy wrote:

True, but you said you had a flatter kite, so of course a "wave" kite will be a lot better.

The thing is though, having a C (Hydbrid) kite, say a 10 or 11 m2 North Vegas or similar, it turns even faster than a similar powered wavekite, at least it turns "better" also, meaning you can get more power in the turns which is precisely what you want in light wind in general and particularly when riding DTL, as opposed to big wavekites that pivotturn with no power, not good and mostly for heavy riders.

Whereas when windy, the pivotturn without much power and also huge depower, is needed to be able to ride in flow DTL.

At least my view and experiences :wink:

Which size you should choose, also depends on the conditions of course, if the 20-25 knots are very rare, and 15-20 more often, then a bigger kite could be the compromise yes.
Also, if you got quite big waves in light wind, it could also be fun with a bigger kite.
As opposed to some spots where the good waves only comes when it 20-25 knots, and not much in 15-20 knots of wind, then it wont make much sense with a big wavekite, unless you want to practice in almost no waves.
Are you living in a really warm place and riding mostly in +30 °C (+ 86 F), then a tad bigger kite is needed in your wind.

I would still prefer to use your current C kites in the low end, and get a medium wavekite for when its blowing, instead of a big one, but so many parameters influence the choice.

At least you got lots of different viewpoints now, and can just choose yourself :rollgrin:

8) Peter
Yes - I agree, the OP needs a "medium" wave kite. My comment is just to JTS that getting a fast 11m wave kite actually makes a lot of sense for an area that has waves + light winds.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:28 pm

I still think 9m is about the sweet spot for power vs turning speed to gain the best workability for traction. Getting into bigger wave kites might be ab interim help, but in the end were its just not the best set up for light wind waves.

I would far rather foil in waves with a good 9m than use a sb and bigger kite. So much fun to foil a little further out and come in to swap board once the wind picks up. Then your on the sweet spot kite in the sweet spot conditions.

He gets an 11 and he's going to have to rig down to a smaller kite (he has C's) once it gets decent and then hes right back at square one.

A one kite wave quiver...… 9m Then learn to foil and literally explode that one kites range from 10 to 25 knots.

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Kitemanmuc, you did not detail your weight.

I ride with a tt and at 88 kg (200 pounds) in 18-25 kt i choose 9 or 10 depending on specific conditions. Sharing a quiver with my gf we have every meter between 6 and 10 Ozone Enduros that we ride in wave mode in the surf. 8 as a single quiver would be too small and 10 too much of a compromise for the better wave riding conditions, so 9 is the winner.

One thing I like about the enduro is that i can shift to freeride setting to get a bit more punch if the wind drops. Still plenty of depower available and slack line turning remains acceptable. Not as sweet as a Reo but quite close. Mind you the Reos also have a bridal adjustment option now. Perhaps you would also appreciate the freestyle setting on the Enduro for lofting around, and gain more use of the kite.

Food for though
These users thanked the author Pana for the post:
iriejohn (Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Thank you so much! I started to think I am the only one on the planet.

(Of course I prefer my 8m in waves but my 11m is good fun too and allows for real wave riding. Maybe as I evolve my opinion or preferences change.)

And sorry for deviating from the original issue.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:50 pm

vela99 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Thank you so much! I started to think I am the only one on the planet.

(Of course I prefer my 8m in waves but my 11m is good fun too and allows for real wave riding. Maybe as I evolve my opinion or preferences change.)

And sorry for deviating from the original issue.
Yeah - my theory was always to use a more powerful/boosting style kite for anything bigger than 9m, because where I kite locally (Great Lakes) there are no waves when the wind is less than 20 kts. However, 15 kts with an 11m wave kite can be very nice ... if you have actual waves! I also tried a 10m Pivot this year. Not quite the same as a Cabo - not the same quick turning, on/off power, but also much more powerful & still quite quick turning. I guess, a bit like a Neo?

Return to “Kitesurfing”