Favorite Beaches: Los Barriles and Gorge
Style: surf and foil
Gear: North Pacific surfboard. LF Impulse. SS SSTs
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby wallydog » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Thanks Alex. How much extra "tariff" and shipping to get the kite to the USA?

dkazhdan
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Miami beach
Style: foil
Gear: airush

Postby dkazhdan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:53 pm

I remember paying 70 euros for having it shipped to Miami, but then I had to pay the import duty. You may want to ask Jaime (the guy who ships the kites) to declare it at a lower value maybe... his email is jr AT gongshop.com

alexglebov
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA, USA
3rd Ave, San Mateo, CA, USA
Favorite Beaches: Lake Nitinat, BC
La Ventana, MX
Style: Mowing the lawn
Gear: Slingshot Rally

Postby alexglebov » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:28 pm

The price on their website includes VAT, but if you create your account with USA address, then you will see the price to be adjusted without VAT. For example V3 right now is 499 euros, adjusted for USA address is 415.83 euros, shipping is additional - around 50 euros and I did not pay import duty. I am in SF Bay Area.

naivhere
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Dervio - Lake como
Gear: Naish

Postby naivhere » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:20 pm

alexglebov wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:40 pm
I have received my 8m Gong V3 in the end of April and had several sessions on foil. I am a beginner foiler, so not very efficient with my water starts yet, but I was able to get going in as low as 13kts of wind on Liquid Force Rocket foil, 60cm mast on small 4'5'' board. The top range is 20kts for me on that foil, I am 220lbs dry weight. This kite is awesome, stays in the air in as little as 7kts, drifts well, very stable at 12, requires almost no steering there, I was able to do water re-launch in 9kts of wind (or less). I am thinking of getting another Gong kite - a 10m one-strut for 10-13kts days.
Hi alexglebov,

I am curious as to why you would go for a one strut instead of the strutless for the 10-13 kts days. It was my understanding the strutless would have a better low range due to it being lighter than the one strut.

alexglebov
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA, USA
3rd Ave, San Mateo, CA, USA
Favorite Beaches: Lake Nitinat, BC
La Ventana, MX
Style: Mowing the lawn
Gear: Slingshot Rally

Postby alexglebov » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:34 pm

I agree that strutless would be better for 10-13kts days, but I just want to try their one strut kite and compare it to strutless. Also, I would like to have some additional safety just in case that the bladder blows up, so I have at least some air in the strut.

lightwind
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Velika plaza, Ulcinj
Gear: Cabrinha Contra 13m, Epic Screamer 10m LTD, CF Tango 9m, North Vegas 10, CF Raptor Pro, RRD K-free 60

Postby lightwind » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:34 pm

I tested low end of my 10 m strutless V3. I’m 73 kg rider with freeride foil. I’m total beginner practicing my turns since I’m able to ride constantly. First of all, kite flies really good. With little bit of moving stays in the air in 5 knots. Especially with 10 m line extensions, they help a lot. Two days ago I was able to ride in 6-8 knots wind, it was very underpowered riding but still even for me it was possible. With some experience I think it’s going to be even easier. It was only foil kites in the water and me with Gong. Reverse relaunching works great. Had couple of crashes and never had a problem to relaunch the kite. It’s so light but build quality is great. It drifts nicely and it generates huge amount of power for water start. In higher winds it flaps a lot. When you depower the kite you can feel flapping on the bar. As beginner I still don’t know how to ride fast and with lots of power so that is also part of the problem. All in all very happy with the foiling abilities of the kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”