Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Forum for kitesurfers
lightwind
Rare Poster
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Velika plaza, Ulcinj
Gear: Cabrinha Contra 13m, Epic Screamer 10m LTD, CF Tango 9m, North Vegas 10, CF Raptor Pro, RRD K-free 60
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby lightwind » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:29 pm

jyka wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:15 am
I have gong v2 12m strutless and I'm happy with it, using only it for foiling and winter(snow) light wind days. Good build quality and good kite in every way.
Relaunch in light winds is hard but sure it's with every LEIs. This flies in lighter winds than normal strut kites, if you drop it in marginal wind and kite gets wet..
Hi Juka, can you coment on the low end? I know this kite can fly in 6 knots, but is there enough power to waterstart in that light wind? What lines lenght you are using?

Thanks

jyka
Medium Poster
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:38 pm
Kiting since: 2012
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby jyka » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:53 pm

I have 20 meter lines. I haven't used it much yet in super light winds so I can't tell much about the low end. And it's always about the skills (what I don't have) and foil board front wing size etc..

But I'm sure if you want to do something like this you need a foil kite: :D

nayy
Rare Poster
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby nayy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:11 am

lightwind wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:26 pm
Hi Nayy, what do you think, for the 75 kg rider is 12 too much for foiling? I got some recommendations to take 10. I plan to use it from 7 - 12 knots.

Thanks
[/quote]

Hi lightwind,

if you plan to use it on real low wind days take the 12, otherwise the 10.
on their website they suggest 10m: 8-15kn, 12m: 6-12 kn...

with my 12 and 80 kg 14-15 knots was not comfortable on the foil...i don't have enough sessions to confirm the low wind, hopefully i can do this in a few weeks...

Nayy

br44
Rare Poster
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:07 am
Kiting since: 0
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby br44 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:33 pm

lightwind wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:29 pm
Hi Juka, can you coment on the low end? I know this kite can fly in 6 knots, but is there enough power to waterstart in that light wind? What lines lenght you are using?

Thanks
I found out today the low end of the 17m Gong Strutless v2: about 5 mph in the lulls, occasionally less. The session was ~12 to 1 PM on the chart. Wind speed in mph, intermediate foiler, 170 lbs, on Liquid Force Rocket, 26m lines. No swimming in, but was close a couple of times.

So I would say that the low end of the Gong Strutless 17m is: whatever wind you need to keep the kite in the air. For me, that’s about 5 mph in the lulls, so with the average around 8-9 mph.
3F408EE6-8DF6-4203-B299-96DD2FEFDBB7.jpeg
3F408EE6-8DF6-4203-B299-96DD2FEFDBB7.jpeg (252.22 KiB) Viewed 541 times

User avatar
omg
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby omg » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:59 am

Sorry but it’s more about the gusts (one can argue abt the average wind but I still say you have steady gusts so that’s what matters) and with that diagram you cannot really say that the low end is 5mph, ie. one cannot pass the fact that there was constant wind over 10 mph, especially when foiling you can ride through “lulls”, so they don’t mean a thing.

However, after stating the above, you had a great experience and fun time, so that’s what matters.

br44
Rare Poster
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:07 am
Kiting since: 0
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby br44 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:47 pm

omg wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:59 am
Sorry but it’s more about the gusts (one can argue abt the average wind but I still say you have steady gusts so that’s what matters) and with that diagram you cannot really say that the low end is 5mph, ie. one cannot pass the fact that there was constant wind over 10 mph, especially when foiling you can ride through “lulls”, so they don’t mean a thing.

However, after stating the above, you had a great experience and fun time, so that’s what matters.
I agree - there is no fun to be had at 5 mph average. The average was (and is supposed to be) 8-9 mph or higher. For me 5 mph lulls are the "low end" on that kite - and what matters - in the sense that my sessions are likely to end below 5 mph: dropping the kite, being unable to ride through the lulls.

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby slowboat » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:55 pm

br44 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:47 pm
omg wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:59 am
Sorry but it’s more about the gusts (one can argue abt the average wind but I still say you have steady gusts so that’s what matters) and with that diagram you cannot really say that the low end is 5mph, ie. one cannot pass the fact that there was constant wind over 10 mph, especially when foiling you can ride through “lulls”, so they don’t mean a thing.

However, after stating the above, you had a great experience and fun time, so that’s what matters.
I agree - there is no fun to be had at 5 mph average. The average was (and is supposed to be) 8-9 mph or higher. For me 5 mph lulls are the "low end" on that kite - and what matters - in the sense that my sessions are likely to end below 5 mph: dropping the kite, being unable to ride through the lulls.
Usually when one states “low end” of a kite, it is the average wind, not the lull. At least that is my understanding.

br44
Rare Poster
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:07 am
Kiting since: 0
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby br44 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:06 pm

slowboat wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:55 pm
br44 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:47 pm
omg wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:59 am
Sorry but it’s more about the gusts (one can argue abt the average wind but I still say you have steady gusts so that’s what matters) and with that diagram you cannot really say that the low end is 5mph, ie. one cannot pass the fact that there was constant wind over 10 mph, especially when foiling you can ride through “lulls”, so they don’t mean a thing.

However, after stating the above, you had a great experience and fun time, so that’s what matters.
I agree - there is no fun to be had at 5 mph average. The average was (and is supposed to be) 8-9 mph or higher. For me 5 mph lulls are the "low end" on that kite - and what matters - in the sense that my sessions are likely to end below 5 mph: dropping the kite, being unable to ride through the lulls.
Usually when one states “low end” of a kite, it is the average wind, not the lull. At least that is my understanding.
Then I'm misusing the term. However the average is only half of the story. The other half is the variation around the mean (volatility if you will), which itself can vary quite a bit. For example if 9 mph average wind comes with long lulls below 5 mph then it's likely game over for me. The gusts are obviously not a problem.

nayy
Rare Poster
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby nayy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 pm

lightwind wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:26 pm
Hi Nayy, what do you think, for the 75 kg rider is 12 too much for foiling? I got some recommendations to take 10. I plan to use it from 7 - 12 knots.

Thanks
[/quote]

today I flew my strutless 12 V2 after 5 months of winter sleep on short lines 24m with my f-one IC6 foil... I foiled from 14-16u
wind was between 8 and 13 knots and dropping at the end (see graph)... I stopped because I was tired and did not want to drop it in the surf which was quite big today.
The wind came from over the harbour which results in more irregular and gusty winds.

my friend flew his hyperlink UL12m², and he had a sh**** session. (probably due to irregular wind, he dropped his kite several times. It simply dropped out of the sky.

I dropped it once due to a steering error in the beginning of the session and restart was fast...

When i was surfing the swell deeper in sea, I was overpowered during some gusts (i did not touch the depower strap), probably around 14 knots...
During the whole session i did not loose controle of the kite during lulls... very impressive stability. On my ozone catalyst 12 (2014) is would have been impossible to fly in those conditions.

I'm lacking training at te moment, and still beginner on the foil (+-13 sessions), but I think that on long lines on flat water and regular wind the low-end must be around 7-8 knots...maybe 6.

Image

Hope this helps,

Nayy
These users thanked the author nayy for the post:
lightwind (Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:12 pm)
Rating: 10%

lightwind
Rare Poster
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Velika plaza, Ulcinj
Gear: Cabrinha Contra 13m, Epic Screamer 10m LTD, CF Tango 9m, North Vegas 10, CF Raptor Pro, RRD K-free 60
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby lightwind » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 pm

nayy wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 pm
lightwind wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:26 pm
Hi Nayy, what do you think, for the 75 kg rider is 12 too much for foiling? I got some recommendations to take 10. I plan to use it from 7 - 12 knots.

Thanks
today I flew my strutless 12 V2 after 5 months of winter sleep on short lines 24m with my f-one IC6 foil... I foiled from 14-16u
wind was between 8 and 13 knots and dropping at the end (see graph)... I stopped because I was tired and did not want to drop it in the surf which was quite big today.
The wind came from over the harbour which results in more irregular and gusty winds.

my friend flew his hyperlink UL12m², and he had a sh**** session. (probably due to irregular wind, he dropped his kite several times. It simply dropped out of the sky.

I dropped it once due to a steering error in the beginning of the session and restart was fast...

When i was surfing the swell deeper in sea, I was overpowered during some gusts (i did not touch the depower strap), probably around 14 knots...
During the whole session i did not loose controle of the kite during lulls... very impressive stability. On my ozone catalyst 12 (2014) is would have been impossible to fly in those conditions.

I'm lacking training at te moment, and still beginner on the foil (+-13 sessions), but I think that on long lines on flat water and regular wind the low-end must be around 7-8 knots...maybe 6.

Image

Hope this helps,

Nayy
[/quote]

Hi Nayy,

Thanks for the review. Nice to hear that kite is stable in lulls. I'm on the almost same number of sessions as you are, was on the winter break and will start foiling in one month again. Can you comment on the fluttering in the transitions? I have similar wind conditions in my home spot, just without swell. What is your weight? I'm 75 kg and considering buying 10 m kite and line extensions up to 30 m. If you go for more sessions please post experience.

Cheers


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anotheroldguy, Bing [Bot], Brian H, Google [Bot], pj sofine and 7 guests

cron