Favorite Beaches: Hamata
Style: Old school
Gear: Core and Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Core 720 size recommendations

Postby easychecker » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi guys 👋

I’m new to this forum I hope I haven’t overseen any similar topic here.

The reason for this topic is that I wanted to get into strapless kiting and one day I’d love to do some kind of wavekiting in bigger waves around 2-3m but that’s just my long-term goal :)
So now some words to me:
I have totally no experience with Waveboards so that’s why I’m asking you.
In twintip riding I already progressed a bit I can do carved jibes in both directions from toe to heel side and from heel to toeside;
some basic jumps, transition jumps and back rolls are also in my repertoire ;)
My weight is 68kg and I’m 179cm tall

I found quite a good deal for a 4 11’ core 720 board but I’m not sure about the size it seems a bit small for the beginning but I’m also not the heaviest so I don’t know... does anyone have some experience with this board and could tell me which size you would recommend for me? :)
If you have some other board recommendations I would highly appreciate them as well.

Regards
Kacper

easychecker
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miedzyzdroje
Favorite Beaches: Hamata
Style: Old school
Gear: Core and Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Re: Core 720 size recommendations

Postby easychecker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:44 pm

Nobody? An answer with the board size you guys started with and your weight would also help me out a lot :)

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:17 pm

I am also shopping for my first surfboard at the moment. All I can give you is what I learned from reading other topics. The 4'11 has 21l and is for 50-75kg rider, the 5'1 has 22l and is for 65-90kg rider according to the core homepage. If you do research, you'll find two schools of thought, one is saying you should use a small board and the other is saying you should use the same size that you would use for normal surfing. Relevant in that regard is the amount of liters. If you want to use a bigger kite and surf with the power of the kite mostly, then you should get a smaller board, like the 4'11. If you want to surf mostly without much power from the kite, you should be looking at the bigger board options. I think I will end up with a 5'2 duotone whip, at least that is my favorite right now and it also fits inside my kitebag, my weight will be somewhere between 78 to 82 kg depending on how much I want to cut :thumb:
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
easychecker (Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:48 pm

This topic has been explored a lot. The board you are looking at is probably a good board but too small to learn on quickly. Yes, you can use it but it will be more difficult than a larger wide board. Find a couple of cheap surfboards on eBay or wherever and ride them until they break (and they will). About 18” wide and 5’7”-5’11” long and 26L. Try lots of different shapes and sizes and fin configurations until you find the one you like best. There is so much more to a surfboard than the numbers can show you as a beginner. And have fun trying new rides, it’s crazy fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”