Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Learning Strapless, what to do first, Jibe, Tack etc?

Forum for kitesurfers
CALencioni
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Alameda, CA
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Sherman Island, Kite Beach Maui, Alameda, Coyote, 3rd
Gear: North Neos, Blade Fat Lady, Nobile XTR
Brand Affiliation: None

Learning Strapless, what to do first, Jibe, Tack etc?

Postby CALencioni » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 am

So yesterday was my first day on a surfboard ever(never been surfing in ocean), it was definitely different than a twin tip and took a minute to get used to. Took me a minute of being really frustrated to get my feet on top the board and moving, but i figured it out after a handful of tries and a couple curses and body dragging. In the end I was able to comfortably get upwind in ~13-14 knots with my 12M and my 5'3" evo, 200lbs.

By the end of the session I could consistently get up and going in either direction, but when it came to doing a transition, I was totally lost since I wasn't really expecting to get to a point where I'd get comfortably going and upwind. Now that I'm back home, I'm looking at "transitions." I'm seeing Jibes, Tacks, Duck tacks etc.

I want one thing to practice though on my next session. What is the next step? Tack, Jibe, etc? I'll focus there. Lots of how to's but I want to know what the "what's next" logical step.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Learning Strapless, what to do first, Jibe, Tack etc?

Postby Matteo V » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:41 am

Great question? I do not think this has been asked before.

My suggestion would be the jibe as it is fundamental to toeside riding, and kite power control. But I forced my self to do strapped first (on my own board).

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 am

learning to jibe is crucial, I switch my feet when going downwind all the time. easiest way to do learn to do it is to just do a turn to toeside, and then quickly switch your feet (put both feet in the middle of the board for 0.000001 seconds while you are switching them). it's pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it but it can take a while to get it figured out and get them consistent enough that you land them 10/10 times -- one thing frustrating is that sometimes youll want to just hop right on a wave, but your feet will be wrong. once i got the hop to toeside dialed, i started catching a lot more waves.

i'd call learning one of the tacks "optional". they're a lot harder to do, so I wouldn't try to learn them first, and there is not a huge advantage to just doing a jibe... in general you lose less ground, but i can jibe basically in one place without going downwind, so... ehhhh. i practice roll tacks when the waves aren't great, or the water is flat and i don't feel like riding a twintip.

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Old fart style
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:04 am

Jibe first. I learned to switch to toeside before the jibe. I kept the kite high and would go downwind and switch to toeside then power back up for a carving jibe. Just what worked for me.

CALencioni
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Alameda, CA
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Sherman Island, Kite Beach Maui, Alameda, Coyote, 3rd
Gear: North Neos, Blade Fat Lady, Nobile XTR

Postby CALencioni » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:30 am

dylan* wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 am
one thing frustrating is that sometimes youll want to just hop right on a wave, but your feet will be wrong. once i got the hop to toeside dialed, i started catching a lot more waves.

i'd call learning one of the tacks "optional". they're a lot harder to do, so I wouldn't try to learn them first, and there is not a huge advantage to just doing a jibe... in general you lose less ground, but i can jibe basically in one place without going downwind, so... ehhhh. i practice roll tacks when the waves aren't great, or the water is flat and i don't feel like riding a twintip.
JakeFarley wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:04 am
Jibe first. I learned to switch to toeside before the jibe. I kept the kite high and would go downwind and switch to toeside then power back up for a carving jibe. Just what worked for me.
Both of you mention "switch to toeside/hop to toeside" is that while you're going upwind on your heels and then just switch real quick? What are you two describing here?

On my twin tip I'd switch/pop to toe side quickly then do a big sweeping transition turn. Is it like that except quickly moving your feet to toe side then doing a big sweeping transition turn?

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:53 am

Yes, literally just switching your feet without changing direction. I think a "proper" jibe would be when you sort of flip the board around with your feet while changing direction, and when you do these right you lose almost no ground. Carving around to toeside takes you downwind a little bit.

You can either do it as a hop (both feet come off the board), or by very quickly putting both your feet together in the middle of the board and moving your old front foot to the tail. I don't really think one is easier than the other, try them both and see what works. It's also easier if you bring your kite up pretty high to pull some of your weight off the board.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:07 am

Yea, pretty much. The terminology gets confusing because a jibe is a downwind turn but has nothing to do with the foot switch. You can switch your feet before, during or after the turn(read carve). Some people switch before going one way and after going the other. And just to make it more confusing you can start the foot switch going upwind, across the wind or downwind.
When learning, it’s probably easiest to do the carve with your strong side so if regular footed, with your right foot back heel side, make the carve to toeside and then switch feet. When riding left foot back, switch feet to toeside and then make the carve. Keeps your strong foot in the rear both ways. When your comfortable with those two learn the opposite two.
Raise the kite a bit then swivel your back hip forward. Most people talk about stepping forward with your back foot but that is not really what you are trying to do. That moves your center of effort to far forward and gets you stuck with both feet next to each other. You are spinning your hips and feet follow so your center of balance moves less forward and for less time.
So, weight on ball of front foot, swivel back hip forward, back foot comes forward and old front foot moves back to center line fairly quickly. The trick is not speed but keeping the board as quiet as possible through the move. Not getting too far forward or to either side and not going too slow or too fast. If that’s what you asked. Lol
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post (total 3):
cglazier (Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:55 am) • TBBUK (Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 am) • kiteswede (Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:52 am)
Rating: 30%

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:53 am

knotwindy: yes its easy to get stuck with both foots :) nice detailed hip description there.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:27 pm

Go for a jibe yes, not a tack.

As some has said, carve (turn) around downwind and practice riding toeside on the new tack, and then carve back again to your original direction, good practice and somewhat how you do when you ride waves "Down The Line" as it is called, when you ride S turns up and down the waveface, along the wave wind a bit from the side.
Good practice you will need anyways.

It will come pretty quick.

Now you can try to make a jibe where you switch your feet also, and can ride away on the new tack normally.

Carve around to toeside, not too much speed (important), and keep the kite a bit high so it helps you.
Quickly move your rear foot (foot closest to the tail) up to the front foot, and your front foot back - in a fast two step move, and thats it :thumb:

This is by far the most important skill to learn, so start with above.

Can be used when jibing in both windsurfing and kitewaveboards and hydrofoiling, so an important skill you can use "everywhere" so to speak.
Works no matter if you ride strapless or with straps, no difference in this jibe, so an important skill that can be transferred to everything :D

When you get better you can make it as a jump with both feet at the same time if you want, but start out doing a fast two step feet shuffle, also safer so many of us keep doing this on waveboards.

Later you can start to switch feet earlier, on the way out of the turn, so you are planing on the way out, but require a lot more timing.
You can also switch feet before the turn, but would not advice this till later, if you want to learn this too.

Have fun, a new world is opening now :rollgrin:

8) Peter

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7, 9.5, 12
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke
2014 North Whip 5'9
Nobile 2HD
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:03 pm

dylan* wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 am
learning to jibe is crucial, I switch my feet when going downwind all the time. easiest way to do learn to do it is to just do a turn to toeside, and then quickly switch your feet (put both feet in the middle of the board for 0.000001 seconds while you are switching them). it's pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it but it can take a while to get it figured out and get them consistent enough that you land them 10/10 times -- one thing frustrating is that sometimes youll want to just hop right on a wave, but your feet will be wrong. once i got the hop to toeside dialed, i started catching a lot more waves.

Agree with this - toeside on your strong side into a switch is easiest. Practice on flat water if you can. It takes awhile, but is totally worth it. Dimitri has some really nice videos showing the footwork, it's a fairly simple approach, but it takes proper kite placement and timing when you are first learning it. Once you get it, you can pretty much learn to switch feet whenever.

I'll add that once you get comfortable on the toeside switch, work in a downloop to the transition, makes it a lot smoother on your body movement.

Return to “Kitesurfing”