Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

From Bandit 2 10m to...?

Forum for kitesurfers
romian
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Style: Far from stylish
Gear: Airush Ultra 10, Slingshot UFO 7/5/4, F-One Carbon foilboard, Kitesyndikat carbon split foilboard, Moses W633/W679/S483/S425
Brand Affiliation: None

From Bandit 2 10m to...?

Postby romian » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Hi,

Another "what should I buy?" post, I´m sorry :wink:

I´m 53 yo, 68 kg. / 150 lb. My place is is usually 10 to 25 knots, with some very odd days above these values. The common kite here is 12 - 14 for a 75 kg / 165 lb. rider on a TT.

I´ve been riding since 2007, but there have been lapses with quite few sessions a year due to relocations, work and so on. My progression has been locked in the "intermediate" stage for long. I can ride pretty much any condition, ride toeside for long, different transitions and some basic jumps. Nothing fancy. I´ve been mainly a vacation warrior for some time, riding the odd day at home and using holidays to travel to kite destinies with flat turquoise water (my current place is cold, choppy and waves).

Things have changed and now I am able to ride more frequently, and want to update my gear and progress.

The kite I´ve been using almost exclusively is an old Bandit 2 10 m (yes, velcro QR :-/ ), which I´m quite happy with. I can ride with my 136 TT when people are struggling with their 12s or riding hydrofoils, and I find it powerful, stable and easy to manage. I bought it used and I think the quality was very good (I used other brands back then and were way worse). I´ve only ridden old kites so no real references of how modern kites behave. When I read this or that kite has a light bar pressure, I have nothing to compare with. I´m not sure, but I would say that the Bandit 2 has a direct feeling with a hard bar pressure. I feel it quite direct when I steer, and don´t feel too slow for its size.

So many brands, so many options, so many reviews (and sooo different), I´m really overwhelmed by the information. Just read the 2019 Test Guide from The Kite Mag and it seems the Bandit is the favorite amongst the freeriding kites, but I´m very skeptycal when I see tests wrapped in expensive full-page ads.

I know that asking for comparisons between old and modern kites is probably a nonsense, but I want to at least point in the right direction.

Travelling with my 10 has kept me from renting other kites and had no chances for demos or borrowing, so I´m a bit stuck.

Since most of the spots here have waves and I surfed for long time, I´ve just started to try on a strapless surfboard (just one day), so freeriding + waves will be my aim. I´ve read and heard that specific wave kites are very stable and quite forgiving, so it seems that using one will be the right tool to learn with the directional.

Bandits and Neos are my main options. I´ve found some good deals in 2018 models. But I´m open to other suggestions. I think Evo could be another option, but didn´t find anything from test / used and don´t feel like buying the 2019 Duotone.

Any Bandit users / ex-users out there who can provide some perspective on what to choose from my "old Bandit happy user" point of view? Do current Bandits have the low end of first models? Will them help me to learn on the directional?

Thank you in advance!

kochease
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Jones Beach
Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cayman Islands
Jones Beach, Or
Manzanita, Or
Maui
Style: Freestyle
Gear: F-One, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop Owner and PASA kiteboard instructor
Has thanked: 0

Re: From Bandit 2 10m to...?

Postby kochease » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:47 pm

I would just stay with the Bandits like the 2018 and 2019 Bandits they are amazing!!!

I've been riding F-One since the Bandit 3. I've flown every model, ever year since. I did not buy every model but I did fly them at demo events.. I have owned B3, B4, B5, B10, B11 and I have a new 12m Bandit 12( :mosh: ). I also have owned Epic, Airush, Blade, Liquid Force and Ocean Rodeo... All that to say my favorite kite to fly is still Bandits. I like a bunch of other kites and models, I own several other brands and models, I own a couple different F-One model kites besides the Bandits. I like all my kites and how they fly in the different styles and conditions I use them for, but for a great time and a do everything really great kind of kite the Bandit kills it and you cant go wrong....

The Bandit 3,4 and 5 had great low end. B6-B9 not so much.. The 2017 B10 brought back the low end with huge top end, 2018 B11 improved it low and high and then 2019 B12 stepped it up has even more low end and massive top end. The range of the kites has really increased a ton over the B2 version. Bar pressure is way lower than the older days of Bandit 2 thru 4
These users thanked the author kochease for the post:
romian (Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:16 am

If you live in the northern hemisphere....spring is around the corner. Then many brands will run demo events.

Take your time to visit one and try different gear to get an idea what’s available.
You might be surprised about differences.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
romian (Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:14 am)

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:03 am

Early days but I’ve got a couple of Bandit 12s in 10m and 7m and they seem really nice kites. Livelier than Enduro V2 I had before and really responsive, easy to loop, haven’t had them out in stronger winds yet so powered boosting yet to find out.
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
romian (Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:47 pm)

romian
Rare Poster
Gear: Airush Ultra 10, Slingshot UFO 7/5/4, F-One Carbon foilboard, Kitesyndikat carbon split foilboard, Moses W633/W679/S483/S425

Postby romian » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:35 am

Toby wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:16 am
If you live in the northern hemisphere....spring is around the corner. Then many brands will run demo events.

Take your time to visit one and try different gear to get an idea what’s available.
Having the chance to ride different kites would be the ideal for sure... Years ago some distributors used to hold demo days in this area, but that´s over due to low number of riders / sales. The closest tests are run a 6-hours drive far from here. I´ll try to look for them, anyway.

Thank you!

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:09 am

romian wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:35 am
Toby wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:16 am

Having the chance to ride different kites would be the ideal for sure... Years ago some distributors used to hold demo days in this area, but that´s over due to low number of riders / sales. The closest tests are run a 6-hours drive far from here. I´ll try to look for them, anyway.

Thank you!
You might want to go slightly bigger than 10m. B2 was probably the most powerful bandit ever. Riding B12's at present, much faster/responsive and huge wind range but not as powerful as B2. Completely different kite.
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
romian (Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:39 pm)

romian
Rare Poster

Postby romian » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:11 am

kochease wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:47 pm
I would just stay with the Bandits like the 2018 and 2019 Bandits they are amazing!!!

I've been riding F-One since the Bandit 3. I've flown every model, ever year since. I did not buy every model but I did fly them at demo events.. I have owned B3, B4, B5, B10, B11 and I have a new 12m Bandit 12( :mosh: ). I also have owned Epic, Airush, Blade, Liquid Force and Ocean Rodeo... All that to say my favorite kite to fly is still Bandits. I like a bunch of other kites and models, I own several other brands and models, I own a couple different F-One model kites besides the Bandits. I like all my kites and how they fly in the different styles and conditions I use them for, but for a great time and a do everything really great kind of kite the Bandit kills it and you cant go wrong....

The Bandit 3,4 and 5 had great low end. B6-B9 not so much.. The 2017 B10 brought back the low end with huge top end, 2018 B11 improved it low and high and then 2019 B12 stepped it up has even more low end and massive top end. The range of the kites has really increased a ton over the B2 version. Bar pressure is way lower than the older days of Bandit 2 thru 4
Nice and comprehensive info! Very helpful!

Thank you!

romian
Rare Poster

Postby romian » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:40 pm

windmaker wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:09 am
You might want to go slightly bigger than 10m. B2 was probably the most powerful bandit ever. Riding B12's at present, much faster/responsive and huge wind range but not as powerful as B2. Completely different kite.
Good to know... This is very helpful, thanks!

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:14 pm

Old bandits were simple delta kites with heavy construction and thick LE's, a bit clumsy kites with quite high bar pressure. Closer to high end they became very hard to use, I once tested one against 5-strut kite with I could control easily and at the same time was struggling with the Bandit. V's 3-5 got much better from V1-2, but I don't know how much they have improved since. I wouldn't say old Bandits are at all fun kites to fly because the feel is so heavy and slowish.

Latest versions are no doubt fine kites but it should be remembered they give quite a lot power when looped or flied aggressively. There is smoother kites available for sure but when you get used to Bandit there wouldn't been much to complain. To update from B2 to almost any modern kite is an improvement.
These users thanked the author kitexpert for the post:
romian (Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:49 pm)

romian
Rare Poster

Postby romian » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:32 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:14 pm
Old bandits were simple delta kites with heavy construction and thick LE's, a bit clumsy kites with quite high bar pressure. Closer to high end they became very hard to use, I once tested one against 5-strut kite with I could control easily and at the same time was struggling with the Bandit. V's 3-5 got much better from V1-2, but I don't know how much they have improved since. I wouldn't say old Bandits are at all fun kites to fly because the feel is so heavy and slowish.

Latest versions are no doubt fine kites but it should be remembered they give quite a lot power when looped or flied aggressively. There is smoother kites available for sure but when you get used to Bandit there wouldn't been much to complain. To update from B2 to almost any modern kite is an improvement.
Thanks, kitexpert.

I´m used to that power. Hope most of it remains in the new models, if I finally choose Bandit again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”