Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Twintip for choppy water

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Twintip for choppy water

Postby iriejohn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:05 am

I'm 82kg and used to ride 135 x 42 Monks with 6 to 12m. Then got a Lieuwe Shotgun 136 x 40.5 which handles chop at least as well as the Monk but is far more lively with more pop and grip than the Monk.
Obe_1 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 pm
+1 for the Shinn Monk.
I weigh in at 72 Kg and ride the Monk 135 X 42. Its perfect for me using 8 - 12m kites in choppy water. No regrets ever buying this board. Every time I ride something else I am grateful to get back on the Monk. It not just the ride, you don't get that spray in your face. Mako's do ride well, but expect to get some spray when its choppy.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:23 am

Also have to vote for the Lieuwe Shotgun...moved from a North Jaime to the Shotgun last year and felt such a big difference in pop! Next to that whenever you are in Holland you are able to pop by the guys and see how they handcraft your board! Really cool guys and boards are even better.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:36 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:05 am
I'm 82kg and used to ride 135 x 42 Monks with 6 to 12m. Then got a Lieuwe Shotgun 136 x 40.5 which handles chop at least as well as the Monk but is far more lively with more pop and grip than the Monk.
Obe_1 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 pm
+1 for the Shinn Monk.
I weigh in at 72 Kg and ride the Monk 135 X 42. Its perfect for me using 8 - 12m kites in choppy water. No regrets ever buying this board. Every time I ride something else I am grateful to get back on the Monk. It not just the ride, you don't get that spray in your face. Mako's do ride well, but expect to get some spray when its choppy.
Are the shotgun tips flexible? Its on my list of boards that I would love to try. I think they have customisable rails too don't they (you can sand them to shape for your style of riding)

Also if a more lively ride is your thing then Shinn sell other boards that have better pop and a lively feel (Ronson, ultrasonic etc). The monks USP was its ability to hold down ridiculous power in real world (i.e. not flat water lagoons) conditions. My personal take is its something that rewards better riders more. When I first tried one I thought it was comfortable if a little power hungry. I tried the same one a couple of years later and was amazed by how much better it felt as my own skills had improved. I always got the impression that the monk had more carve pop than the stomp pop you got on the ultrasonic and other more freestyle boards.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:57 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:36 pm
Are the shotgun tips flexible? Its on my list of boards that I would love to try. I think they have customisable rails too don't they (you can sand them to shape for your style of riding)

Also if a more lively ride is your thing then Shinn sell other boards that have better pop and a lively feel (Ronson, ultrasonic etc). The monks USP was its ability to hold down ridiculous power in real world (i.e. not flat water lagoons) conditions. My personal take is its something that rewards better riders more. When I first tried one I thought it was comfortable if a little power hungry. I tried the same one a couple of years later and was amazed by how much better it felt as my own skills had improved. I always got the impression that the monk had more carve pop than the stomp pop you got on the ultrasonic and other more freestyle boards.
I had a Ronson, but didn't like it. The Shotgun has some flex, but I think the key to its performance is how this flex and the rocker is combined with some very effective channelling. At ~2.6kg (bare board) it's also quite light.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Same here, Lieuwe Shotgun ! (tried quite a few boards before)

For € 500 you have a new one with minor beauty/print errors;
https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/watersport ... ousPage=lr
(this is the kind of Ebay from the Netherlands, put it in Google translate)

Greenarrowz
Rare Poster
Gear: Switch Element v4 7m bronq
Switch Element v4 11m king gee
Switch Nitro v5 9m
Switch Nitro v5 10m
Ozone edge V8 13m
Switch Helium 18m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Greenarrowz » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Shinn Bronq Q for boosting chop.
Mako 150 for surfing chop.
End of story.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:06 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:36 pm

They do have flexible tips indeed they also add the rail seperately when building the board (they have them in a few colours) in order to shape them you could sand them but they are about 5mm of width so not much room to Shape I would say

Return to “Kitesurfing”