Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pivot or Bandit?

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Pivot or Bandit?

Postby matth » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:02 pm

I can't decide between these two kites. Both check all the boxes for me and seem to get nothing but high praise from users and test results.
I don't unhook, ride mostly TT, love to boost(nothing impressive) , I do ride some waves on directional and plan on spending more time in the surf this season..
priorities are....turning speed, bar pressure, top end, boosting,

Any input would be great..

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pivot or Bandit??

Postby Dirk » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 pm

Hard to decide if you cannot try them both. They are both great and cover everything you are asking. My best kite buddy rides Bandit and I tried them a couple of times, I ride Pivot. They feel different due to different shapes. The Bandit is somewhat more C-shape. The question is what you prefer (or used too, I ride the Pivot since 2015).
When comparing, take a meter less on the Pivot to have similar wind ranges, so 9m Bandit to 8m Pivot (due to difference in shape. The Pivot is a bit more open)
These users thanked the author Dirk for the post:
matth (Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:23 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:24 pm

How would you rate bar pressure and turning speed on Pivot?

nikolaygadzhev77
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby nikolaygadzhev77 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Go for Pivot I try them all love the 2017 good on waves I use one kite quiver 8 18-26 knots on standard 24m lines and up few more knots on 20m lines the best kite no bar pressure,fast loops amazing I'm using naish base bar is very simple no swivels no clicking parts . Go simple and clean

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:31 pm

Maybe you should also look at the North / Duotone Evo, covers everything you are asking.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pivot or Bandit?

Postby Dirk » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:20 pm

I’d say light pressure and quick turning. I only do landing loops and you can loop it very quickly. Same in waves.

All Pivot models from 2017 upwards have the Quadtex which is nice. Current model has the new thread on the front tube, so it can be pump very hard.

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:31 pm
Maybe you should also look at the North / Duotone Evo, covers everything you are asking.

I know, I had 2016s, great kites. I just hear that the Bandit and Pivot are a little more high performance....I'm sure it's by very little, if any at all...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:22 pm

matth wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:02 pm
I can't decide between these two kites. Both check all the boxes for me and seem to get nothing but high praise from users and test results.
I don't unhook, ride mostly TT, love to boost(nothing impressive) , I do ride some waves on directional and plan on spending more time in the surf this season..
priorities are....turning speed, bar pressure, top end, boosting,

Any input would be great..
I only owned the 2 first generations of Bandit, so I can't give a comparison, but I justed to sing along with the rest here that for the riding you are looking, jumping, riding TT and waves the pivot is a perfect choice.
The bar pressure on the pivot is also adjustable. On the medium setting I would rate it good enough to give you feedback, so that you always know where the kite is, but not at all heavy.
The new pivots have skinnier LE and struts, and which makes it feel more responsive and a bit lighter.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
matth (Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:49 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

57palawandan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spi texas
Favorite Beaches: Boracay Philippine, Araceli Palawan,
Gear: Flysurfer boost, slightshot rally, liquid force solo

Postby 57palawandan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:17 am

I've flown both late models, 2016 and 2017 in 10-12 m sizes.
The Pivot was a great kite, but I spent more time on the bandit, it was more forgiving for my wife and I during our learning process.
What I didn't like on the bandit was the small fill valve...I had to pump 2 kites each time we went out...yes I pump my wife kite.
Bandit has now changed that, plus the bar was not single line flag.. of course now it is.
What I didn't like on the pivot was the octopus system, I was told by many certified kite repair guys that it is a bugger to repair the bladder many charge a lot to do it.
I never needed a repair, but I was going overseas for an extended time and if I can't do it it would be hard to find someone to do it soo... we sold the pivots.
I talked to a former designer of cabrinha and slingshot who said the 4x ripstop is just a sales gimic, it adds a lot of weight to the kite and really won't stop a rip if it starts.
If I was going to get a new kite I would get a bandit, I've tried the new bandit and it flew very nice.
Pivots are nice too try them both out.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:55 am

57palawandan wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:17 am
I was told by many certified kite repair guys that it is a bugger to repair the bladder many charge a lot to do it.
I never needed a repair, but I was going overseas for an extended time and if I can't do it it would be hard to find someone to do it soo... we sold the pivots.
Yeah this is bullshit. Even the old system was a breeze, and now when they changed the orientation of the zippers it is easy as pie.
I talked to a former designer of cabrinha and slingshot who said the 4x ripstop is just a sales gimic, it adds a lot of weight to the kite and really won't stop a rip if it starts.
Pivots are nice too try them both out.
Obviously, someone from those brands would say that. North changed their material too and touted it. The new ripstop from Naish feels crisper, and make the kite feel new for longer. That said, I can't say for sure if there is a huge difference, but it makes it feel like it is since the kite is crisper for longer. I definitely do not think the material add a lot of weight. Naish did a whole thing with numbers of weights etc. on this and the new LE material if I remember correctly. I guess a lot is relative, but compared to adding sticks in the kite, the material changes in terms of added weight is negligible. Anyhoo...
Last edited by tautologies on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”