Best bar ever made? LF Mission V3

Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best bar ever made? LF Mission V3

Postby alford » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Dylan, agree about that 2012ish Cab QR, difficult to reset sitting on the couch!
To me things like this speak volumes about the brand's design philosophy vs using frequently.
I have no experience with Velcro style QR, in a way it seems dead simple, how reliable were they?
Velcro on the trim strap is better than the little magnets. I like the idea of the type where trim line runs through handle, like Switch has.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:15 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:40 am
It looks functionally pretty much the same as the Cabrinha Trimlite bars.

Apart from being very nice bars, it's easy to inspect and change the depower lines. It's also easy to make new leaders and a longer trim line so you can make a race bar for foiling.

I don't like the "sausage" style float. They can wrap around the bar and can trap the leader line from the other side.

The velcro on the cleat to hold the trim handle is a bit of a joke. I have never seen any of those systems work. The handle ends up flopping about. The Cabrinha bungy trim line works ok. I have had good result from using a handle that can be opened and placed around the depower line. That keeps the trim line tidy and easily accessible.

The one thing I don't like is the use of bungy cord in the safety line. I have never seen a bungy cord that lasts more than one deployment on the safety. They also look ratty after a few hours use. I make my own non-bungy safety lines and they work fine and last forever. The weight of the leash pulls the slack out the bottom when riding with the trimmer pulled.
Great point about making your own safety line. The Ozone bungee is excellent vs SS for example but will try splicing up my own non bungee version.

Garretjv
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Michigan, Grand Haven, Muskegon
Favorite Beaches: Kano'ohe Oahu, the sandbar
Gear: LF NV 2018 12m
Cab 2015 17m slingshot
LF Mission Control v2 20m lines
Cab 2015 control bar 24m lines
Ion Riot6 2019 harness
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Garretjv » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:09 pm

I have the v2. They're ok. Issue with the center line where the PU tube is does not have enough flex and can be quite rigid. Which if kiting in fluxxing winds or dying winds an back pressure can cause the donkey stick and chicken loop to unhitch. Very problematic and has caused me much grief, LF acknowledges the problem and says they fixed this with the v3 system. Which sweet! But, I'm not shucking out another 500$ on a brand new bar when my v2 has 4 months of use. They recommend me just clipping the chicken loop suicide in, greet.

If I were you I would look at the bar they made in conjuncture with Ocean Rodeo. Demoed it this weekend and it brings the best of both worlds from each. Much more ergonomic and grippier control bar. And easy tuning while surfing.

https://liquidforcekites.com/product/di ... ol-system/

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:58 pm

"high-y adjuster"

How is it possible to be so detached from reality to think that is something the market needs...?? retarded concept. Much like easy resetable chicken loops. Kite companies just can't seem to understand that most people don't unhook. You don't need it to easy reset it you don't need a chicken loop. How often are people resetting it anyway? Surely the primary function of a release to release is more important! and secondarily not to accidentally release and oh like break your leg from a kiteloop as with the OZONE release and Len10.

#kookdesigners

Havre
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic

Postby Havre » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 pm

Never had any issue with the Ozone trimline - other than it getting worn out. Love it. Easy to use and it never flaps around. Not sure if I could get it around the steering lines even if I tried.

Never cared much how the release is designed, but I do like the newest version from Ozone. Not because I ever use it, but it makes it very easy to check that nothing is stuck.

I wish Ozone had size adjustment and steering line adjustment on the bar.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 7, 9, 12 Crazyfly Bulldozer 2020 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.

Postby Faxie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:19 am

Anyone knows if the LF release is available separately somewhere?

Michaelr123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mendota / Monona
Gear: Liquid Force NV V8 12m
mission control bar v2 20+3+4m lines
2019 Liquid Force edge 143cm

Postby Michaelr123 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Not to high jack the conversation, but I'm currently using a LF mission v2 handle with an ion riot 6 harness (beginner package from mackiteboarding) and really struggling with having the chicken loop pop off by twisting around the hook on the harness. This has led to quite a few launches where the loop gets away from me and I'm fighting to a fully sheeted kite to get rehooked while I'm skimming across the water. Most days I don't have the issue, but now that I've been learning to foil and I'm water starting more frequently I'm having this issue quite a bit. This has led to me ending up in some hairy situations a time or two and I've been trying to figure out if its the bar or the harness I'm using or possible both. I also run into the problem more often in light winds when i'm working the lines to keep the kite in the air or if I'm fighting to get it to relaunch off the water and I pull on the center lines a bit. Basically anytime you take pressure off loop there's a chance for it to rotate around the hook on the harness and the donkey dick doesn't really work properly. I know one guy on the beach looked over my harness and commented on how shallow the hook looked to him. any ideas on this?

Garretjv
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Michigan, Grand Haven, Muskegon
Favorite Beaches: Kano'ohe Oahu, the sandbar
Gear: LF NV 2018 12m
Cab 2015 17m slingshot
LF Mission Control v2 20m lines
Cab 2015 control bar 24m lines
Ion Riot6 2019 harness

Postby Garretjv » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:21 pm

Michaelr123 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:40 pm
Not to high jack the conversation, but I'm currently using a LF mission v2 handle with an ion riot 6 harness (beginner package from mackiteboarding) and really struggling with having the chicken loop pop off by twisting around the hook on the harness. This has led to quite a few launches where the loop gets away from me and I'm fighting to a fully sheeted kite to get rehooked while I'm skimming across the water. Most days I don't have the issue, but now that I've been learning to foil and I'm water starting more frequently I'm having this issue quite a bit. This has led to me ending up in some hairy situations a time or two and I've been trying to figure out if its the bar or the harness I'm using or possible both. I also run into the problem more often in light winds when i'm working the lines to keep the kite in the air or if I'm fighting to get it to relaunch off the water and I pull on the center lines a bit. Basically anytime you take pressure off loop there's a chance for it to rotate around the hook on the harness and the donkey dick doesn't really work properly. I know one guy on the beach looked over my harness and commented on how shallow the hook looked to him. any ideas on this?
I am having the exact same issue! I brought this up with the LF guys and they told me to just buy the v3 as they fixed the issue. And to just connect my chicken loop directly through to the harness bypassing the safety... So not really safe. I have also had a few hairy situations with the kite disconnecting at inopportune times. I live in GH and probably got the package deal on Mackite as you. If you'd like to bring this issue up with LF Id love to get someone else backing me with the same issue. Im totally worried about wrecking a kite (a couple close calls already). Im pretty upset as it is a new item and only been used about 4 months. I have another bar already that I use more often, but its a 24m so cant use it on charging days.

Can email me at garretjv@hawaii.edu

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation

Postby alexeyga » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:26 pm

Michaelr123 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:40 pm
What you're experiencing - will happen with pretty much any CL. Do what most foilers do - swap out your spreader bar for a rope slider.

Michaelr123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mendota / Monona
Gear: Liquid Force NV V8 12m
mission control bar v2 20+3+4m lines
2019 Liquid Force edge 143cm

Postby Michaelr123 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:05 pm

Garret,

Well I'm not glad you're having the same issue, but Its comforting to know I'm not the only one.

I think it's the stiff tube on the bar that retains a twist in it that causes the problem. I know my local resaler was showing me a rope slider and was explaining the benefits, partly for foiling, but also for freeride in general. Now that I think back I remember a few instances on launch where I got dragged due to this issue. Not so fun, and definitely not safe. If this sounds like it's just an issue for a novice kiter let me know, but I never even considered this when I was flying ozone kites over the winter.

Return to “Kitesurfing”