Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is the warmest female wetsuit

Forum for kitesurfers
HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

What is the warmest female wetsuit

Postby HALF » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:51 pm

My girlfriend gets cold very quickly, even in the summer she is using 4/3 wetsuit when i am with shorts and lycra.
Any ideas what is the best 5mm wetsuit that a person can buy right now?

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What is the warmest female wetsuit

Postby Peert » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:40 pm

The question in the topic title is different from the question in the text...

5mm will not be the the warmest.
I can recommend flashbomb material.
These users thanked the author Peert for the post:
HALF (Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:30 pm

I get cold easy and I love my NP Surf Recon 6/5/4, the female equivalent of it would be the Serene 6/5/4:
http://www.npsurf.com/collections/seren ... 5-4-hooded

They aren't cheap though.

See the Recon in action in -3 degrees here:

Another great option I would recommend is the NP Surf Serene Wind Top (get it 1-2 sizes too big) to wear over her wetsuit. I wear the mens version over my wetsuits (1 size too big for summer suits, 2 sizes too big for winter, these things fit small) almost all the time and they are awesome and pretty cheap.
https://www.npsurf.com/collections/d-l- ... top-ladies
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
HALF (Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:46 pm

HALF wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:51 pm
Truly there's only one answer... The wetsuit that fits her body the best! Have her try on as many as she can. :thumb:
Xcel wetsuits are highly regarded. Same for Ripcurl, O'Neill, & Patagonia. My friend loves her BodyGlove suit, so worth a check as well.
Several kite specific brands also have some 5mm offerings... Mystic, Ion, Ride Engine, Manera, Prolimit, N Pryde, & Brunotti.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:02 am

Agree with Peert. The best wetsuit for warmth i have owned (over 45yrs) is the RipCurl Flashbomb. Not cheap but very very good. Dries quickly too.

kitekook77
Rare Poster
Gear: 2023 North Orbits
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitekook77 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:48 am

Just find a good diving wetsuit.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:55 am

The temperature during the winter is around 14 degrees, so not very cold and 6mm will be too much I think.
I was thinking exactly about the Flashbomb, but I wanted to hear if there are other options as the ripcurl is around 400 euros (probably worth it).

I also checked the Serene 5/4/3 however it looks like the interior lining is only on the chest.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:14 am

while expensive - these things are very very underrated - https://www.sharkskin.com/womens/chillp ... omens.html

even under a 4/3 - toasty - vests - with no arms - it keep the arm movement less restricted.. way better

another thing is warm up fro a good start - i had a set of weights in my van . - just did a few sets and warmed up soooo quick

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:40 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:46 pm
HALF wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:51 pm
Truly there's only one answer... The wetsuit that fits her body the best! Have her try on as many as she can. :thumb:
Xcel wetsuits are highly regarded. Same for Ripcurl, O'Neill, & Patagonia. My friend loves her BodyGlove suit, so worth a check as well.
Several kite specific brands also have some 5mm offerings... Mystic, Ion, Ride Engine, Manera, Prolimit, N Pryde, & Brunotti.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: As usual the case with this kind of question you will end up with an endless list of each persons preferences. Everyone suddenly becomes an expert in the field :D

Yoda is right, if it doesn't fit properly it will either be uncomfortable or let water in/out = cold. Only true fact dark colour suits are warmer.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:38 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:46 pm

Truly there's only one answer... The wetsuit that fits her body the best!
I would disagree with the stathement "only one answer", yet I'd put the fit on top of the list:
1. Fit & flush - the better the fit, the less cold water inside the suit to drain body warmth in an instant. Water flush also depends a lot on the closure system and neck/wrist seels. Front/chest zip gives less flush than BZ, also a bit warmer due to multiple layers neoprene overlapping.

2. Neoprene foam - generally the lower the density (weight), the better the insulation. Yamamoto #40 and Sheico's N foam being at the top of the line for surfing wetsuits, followed by Yamamoto #39 and Sheico S Foam, widely used in premium kite/windsurfing.
Neoprene stretch also plays a great role in wetsuits >4mm, to provide the best snug fit without being too restrictive.

3 Wind chill (double lined wetsuits) causes a huge heat loss in kite&windsurfing.
Difficult to rate & compare between brands. Depends largely on the the weight and structure of the outer jersey (how much water it soaks and at what rate it evaporates it). Some brands use water repellent jersey on the outside, but this never lasts very long.
Kite/windsurfing smooth/glide skin wetsuits are a thing from the past, but there are many brands using smooth/shark/mesh skin neoprene in the chest and back panels. I would put a question mark on this feature, as the waist harness covers most of the back panel and serves as a wind chill protection too. A shark/mesh skin against the harness riding up - yes.
An alternative to smooth skin wetsuit is NP's Combat (men's) / Storm (ladies'): https://www.neilpryde.com/collections/s ... hooded-650. That's a PU coated jersey laminated to the neoprene foam. A bit too stiff material for my taste, windsurfers love it.
The best thing against wind chill (as mentioned by others above) is using an additional top - like the SharkSkin Chillproof sleeveless top or the NP Armorskin Serene Wind Top (2019 Storm Armor Skin top: https://www.neilpryde.com/collections/n ... top-0-3-mm). Hurley have a similar one too: https://www.nike.com/t/hurley-advantage ... 940822-010

4. Hooded wetsuit or a separate neoprene hood/beanie. No need to go deeper here - HALF's girlfriend surely does wear one already :)

5. Lining (inside jersey) - quite important for the overal insulation. Most of the 'plush/fleece' linings do a good job to reduce the thermal loss as they have a low contact surface and capture air (even Yamamototo #40 neoprene foam has higher thermal conductivity than damp air).
But only a few ladies' winter suits have full 'fleece' all over the body (incl. arms, shoulders, upper chest/back, lower legs), as 1) it's more expensive and 2) has lower stretch than the standard high-stretch inner jersey.
RipCurl Flashbomb is the only one I know of with 100% thermo lining in a ladies' wetsuit. And it's probably one of the best linings in the market.

Few other suggestions:
ISURUS has been praised by almost every surfer who's got deep enough pockets to get one. Only one ladie's 5/4 hooded model, but comes in plenty of sizes incl. Short and Tall, unlike most other brands that stick to 4-5 main sizes.
NEILPRYDE Serene (full lining, see the screenshot below) and Storm (same lining) are worth fitting if you have a shop that stocks them nearby.
ION has probably the largest assortment in 6/5 and 5/4 ladies suits.
O'Neill Womens Psycho Tech 6/4 Hooded
XCEL Women's Drylock Hooded 5/4

Special high-tech yarns... smart yarns... titanium, zirconium, paladium... unobtanium, rare minerals, FIR (far infrared), carbon black, bamboo...bla-bla.. it's all big marketing B/S! None of these has been scientificaly proven to give any noticeable boost in thermal performance!
Attachments
NP Storm.jpg
NP Serene_Storm in.jpg
Isurus in.jpg
Isurus Ember 454FZ.jpg
ION Trinity Amp H65.jpg
ION Jewel S 65BZ.jpg
ION Jewel Amp 65BZ.jpg
Flashbomb H54 f.jpg
Flashbomb H54 b.jpg
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
HALF (Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32 am)