Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why do schools keep using the seat harness in lessons but most people use waist?

Forum for kitesurfers
taabsr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: North orbit
Brand Affiliation: None

Why do schools keep using the seat harness in lessons but most people use waist?

Postby taabsr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:53 pm

Equipment that you get in the lessons can be crucial to your progression. One that I think is curious is the harness selection. If you notice most schools give you a seat harness, but most people including the instructors use a waist one. If the seat is so good why don't more people use it?
Last edited by taabsr on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Why do schools keep using the seat harness in lessons but most people use seat?

Postby PullStrings » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:34 pm

Change / edit title of thread at the end from seat to waist and the question will make more sense

Maybe people taking lessons are out of shape with no 6 pack washboard to keep the waist harness from riding up

Plus kite with students is always high up while learning

They don't commit yet keeping it at 45 degrees while riding

eloico
Medium Poster

Re: Why do schools keep using the seat harness in lessons but most people use seat?

Postby eloico » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:57 pm

I learn with a seat harness, after a while I moved to a waist one.

my experience is that it is a bit easier to learn with a seat harness, it does not slid up, it feels fine even when overpowered. It frees your back, which can be good for people with back problems, on the other side you lose freedom of leg movement, but this is not so important when learning.

Once you have more experience you appreciate more the leg movement freedom and go for a waist harness. But it is important to chose the right waist harness to feel comfortable and even so, when overpowered it can slid up and squeeze your ribs.

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster

Postby taabsr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:34 pm
Change / edit title of thread at the end from seat to waist and the question will make more sense

Maybe people taking lessons are out of shape with no 6 pack washboard to keep the waist harness from riding up

Maybe the kite shouldn't be up but at 45. I never teach them to put it at 12 but at 45 and i use waist with no problem of going up.
Last edited by taabsr on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster

Postby taabsr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 pm

eloico wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:57 pm
I learn with a seat harness, after a while I moved to a waist one.

my experience is that it is a bit easier to learn with a seat harness, it does not slid up, it feels fine even when overpowered. It frees your back, which can be good for people with back problems, on the other side you lose freedom of leg movement, but this is not so important when learning.

Once you have more experience you appreciate more the leg movement freedom and go for a waist harness. But it is important to chose the right waist harness to feel comfortable and even so, when overpowered it can slid up and squeeze your ribs.
During the lessons where have you been instructed to keep the kite?

The seat has some advantages for smaller people, short arms, back issue, etc but disregarding these and considering that the person in the case will not benefit from them why use seat? Why not gin the experience and learn from the start in the way you will use it later.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Re: Why do schools keep using the seat harness in lessons but most people use waist?

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:02 am

Most people don't like the diaper look. I have the Dakine Nitrous Shorts which I used long ago as a very good light weight traveling harness. Recently I've had an abdominal injury which caused my waist harness(2018 RE Carbon) to be very painful. I ended up using Mystic's nice fat slider rope spreader with it and I really like it on hydofoil. It brings everything a little closer to me and I can hold much more power down. I still look stupid wearing it though lol.

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Why do schools keep using the seat harness in lessons but most people use waist?

Postby taabsr » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:03 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:02 am
Most people don't like the diaper look. I have the Dakine Nitrous Shorts which I used long ago as a very good light weight traveling harness. Recently I've had an abdominal injury which caused my waist harness(2018 RE Carbon) to be very painful. I ended up using Mystic's nice fat slider rope spreader with it and I really like it on hydofoil. It brings everything a little closer to me and I can hold much more power down. I still look stupid wearing it though lol.
Getting it closer is for sure an advantage. Smaller people, kids and people with back problems, racers etc have a great advantage in using seat.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:47 am

taabsr wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 pm
PullStrings wrote:

Maybe the kite shouldn't be up but at 45. I never teach them to put it at 12 but at 45 and i use waist with no problem of going up.
You did not even thank me for finding typo in your thread title
It's the least you could have done

Weird

Beginners wipe out a lot...kite goes up
Beginners walk back a lot...kite goes up
I watched a beginner struggle at the beach yesterday
Was afraid to commit and dive the kite past 70 degrees
His waist harness was way up
No confidence
Probably had very bad instructor
Or self taught
These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post:
taabsr (Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:34 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:04 am

Because seat harnesses are better. 👍

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster

Postby taabsr » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:36 am

PullStrings wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:47 am
taabsr wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 pm
PullStrings wrote:

You did not even thank me for finding typo in your thread title
It's the least you could have done

Weird

Beginners wipe out a lot...kite goes up
Beginners walk back a lot...kite goes up
I watched a beginner struggle at the beach yesterday
Was afraid to commit and dive the kite past 70 degrees
His waist harness was way up
No confidence
Probably had very bad instructor
Or self taught

Thanks for the mentioning the typo.

He probably learned with seat and to always keep the kite up at 12 and then bought the waist one. That combo leads to that

Return to “Kitesurfing”