Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Summer + autumn UK wetsuit for water 10-14 C

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Summer + autumn UK wetsuit for water 10-14 C

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:18 pm

If your 3/2 is a really good suit, it will most likely work perfect overall in these conditions.
If it is just a "normal" allround suit, it will be too cold, yes, and I assume it is, if not bought expensive and specifically for surfing.

A 4/3 will do fine for all your conditions, if you get a better and new one, not too warm and never too cold, and easier to get in/out than 5/3 wintersuits.

5/3 and you will be way too warm many days IMO, unless you easily get cold.
It will also be a PITA to get in and out of such a thick wintersuit, if you get to ride a lot - and I think you will when you learn this magic amazing addictive sport :thumb:

Boots for learning yes so you dont step on something on the bottom, but boots not needed at all in terms of being warm, in 10-14 degree water (unless you are colder than the average).

A hood might be good in 6 degree air, but not necessarily needed either when your water is 10-14 degree, and you wont use it most of your season summer/autumn anyways.

We got somewhat the same climate here in Denmark as you have I think.

When learning you will be more in the water yes, but you will also work so much that you get warm and tired, so I see no reason to go for anything different whether experienced or learning.

Very individual "how much or how little" you need though, so depends on your personal "heat/cold" level.

I am very warm, and would never be able to use even a 3/2 in your conditions, only when it is at its coldest maybe, but otherwise way too warm for me.
If a cheaper allround 3/2 it could work though.

Others, especially girls, sometimes use a 5/3 all summer too :naughty:

Regarding boots, the limit where most change to/from boots when winter or early spring, is around 10-12°C.
For me, as I am not as cold, it is just over 5°Celcius I change.

But this does not matter for you, as you should start with boots to avoid cuts in your feet.
Also, IF wearing boots, you dont need as warm a suit - meaning by taking your boots on/off later when you have learned, you should happily be able to cover your whole season with one good suit, IMO a 4/3 would fit by far most kitesurfers in your temperatures :D

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
sergei Scotland (Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:18 pm
IMO a 4/3 would fit by far most kitesurfers in your temperatures :D
I agree with that.

Get a 4/3 that fits really well then in winter wear a rash vest underneath and an impact vest or sleeveless neoprene waistcoat over the top and you can adjust the layers and temperature as necessary. If you always wear a helmet it will reduce heat loss from you head which can be over 10%. For boots look at Atan Mistral boots which give decent feel in winter. I don't like split toes but many do.

I wear an O'Neal 5/4 Psychofreak Zen zip in Winter and an O'Neal 3/2 Psychofreak Zen zip in summer. They have rear zips but don't let any water in and fit me perfectly, but they are expensive!
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
sergei Scotland (Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:03 pm)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 pm

4/3 is the go to for so many places. Essential suit in my opinion. Have always owned one and never owned a 3/2. Just go straight to shorty with various neoprene tops.

Suits are getting so stretchy these days, I'm almost disappointed when I have to switch down from my warmest suit. Its a bit less stretchy and fleece lines so it slides on so much easier than the super flexible stuff. Especially if its still a tiny bit damp.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:47 am

4/3 will do. You will be fine in water. On land with wind- just put on old jacket.

For me- i felt difference if suit has 'wool' lining or not- if drains faster, feels a bit warmer. Easier to get in. I pay happily a bit extra on that. If it does not have lining- it just feels wet.

My Mystic Majestic 5/4 is from 2015 and still works well. I like back zip that has some kind of extra panel so water never comes in. This year I got Needessentials 3/2 fast dry- love it. It looks that wetsuits has been developing a lot since, but still I think it would be cold in 15 degree water.

4/3 would be universal.
These users thanked the author tomato for the post:

dewwy
Medium Poster
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: -

Postby dewwy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Like everyone already said go for a good 4/3. Also most of the bigger companies have in-between sizes like LS/L/LT, the better it suits you the warmer you'll be.
If it gets colder you can always layer something underneath or even get a neo hoodie like mystic voltage.
Regarding ease of entry. Well, really depends how flexible you are. Backzip are the easiest to get into, but frontzip is imho just as easy with a bit of practise.
Zipless suits exist aswell and are arguably the warmest/stretchiest out of backzip/frontzip/zipless suits since there are less entrypoints for the water and it obviously doesn't have a zip.
They're way harder to put on tho. :lol:
These users thanked the author dewwy for the post:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm

It's worth noting that the (patented I think) O'Neill Zen zip (rear entry) is attached to the back of the suit so water can not enter through it into the main body of the suit.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:18 pm

One thing which I should have mentioned is that West of Scotland is very wet and cold in the summer.,i.e. 13-15C average daily temps probably. Even East Scotland 120km to the east is much drier and warmer in the sun because of that. I. E. I do not expect any sunny days with wind really :-(
This might be different in Denmark or many other places - would this make a lot of difference?
I guess warm fleeced 4/3 would still be good choice even without sun in 10-14 C water and mainly 8-16 C air with dark clouds most of the time?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 pm

Yes, a 4/3 would still be the best choice :thumb:
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
sergei Scotland (Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 pm)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Hi, I'd go for a 5-3 ripcurl flashbomb. With 3mm booties and 2mm gloves. Then get a thin hood or cap and A Np edge long-sleeved for first laye and Impact vest for complement.
All respect for Peter, but I've seen him kiting in shorts when I'm in 3-2 fullsuit in same region...
( I grew up in warm climate, but lived at 56N for 35 years, still a frozen dog).
Summertime suit for me is 3-2 E bomb with 3mm booties, no gloves. ( same climate as Scotland)

My kit:
6-5 xcel drylock with integrated hood, 7mm booties drylock, 3mm gloves. - Winter, spring.
5-3 flashbomb, loose hood, 3mm booties, 2mm gloves, spring /fall
3-2 E bomb, 3mm booties, 3 mm short booties - summer
2mm short John in Brazil or warm / tropical climate
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
sergei Scotland (Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 pm)

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:39 pm

Beardytello wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:24 pm
I kite on the IOM year round and pretty much stick to a 5/3 steamer all the time. There was one single day last summer when I went out in shorts and an impact vest and it was magical :lol:
Thanks, Berdytello. Isle of man is probably very similar to West of Central Scotland!
Is your 5/3 a front entry (warmer? ) or back entry (cooler?) and does it have internal lining(warmer?) ?
A lot of people say 4/3 could be warm enough but I guess the wet cool weather with rare sun and heavy clouds might mean 5/3 is a better choice for here? What is your view as for 4/3?
Are you ever hot in 5/3 on the I of Man?
Thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”