Forum for kitesurfers
sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Summer + autumn UK wetsuit for water 10-14 C

Postby sergei Scotland » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm

I intend to start kitesurfing in Scotland this summer. I have a 3/2 full back entry wetsuit which I was told is is no good for these conditions, so obviously need another. Water temperature here is 10-14 C (50-57F) summer/autumn (I do not intend to kite in winter/early spring when it is 8 C). Air temps I'd kite are say 6-20C (42-68) most of the time.
Questions - I read a few discussions here but usually people are not specific on temperatures they have locally, so it is hard to tell if those reccs apply to me... :
1)Generally what would work best across those conditions if I go for 1 wetsuit only?
5/4,5/3,4/3?
2)I am probably best to get a hooded WS, correct? For 10 C water days? Is hooded a " must to have"?
3)I would like to have an easy-ish entry. Just hate struggling getting in and out. Does this rule out front entry wetsuit?
Are there any front Es with easyish entry?
What to look for?
4)There does not seem to be any back entries which are hooded, correct?
5)is it even feasible to use a single wetsuit for 10-14 C water and air temps range?
6)Obviously some specific models reccs would be nice. I am 95 kg/210lb/15st 6'2'' 188cm...
Thanks to anyone who could be bothered answering! 😊

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Summer + autumn UK wetsuit for water 10-14 C

Postby Dirk » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:46 pm

I would take 5/4 or 5/3 without a hood. For the lower temps you can layer up with a hooded vest (usually 1 -1,5 mm vest with a hood). If it is still too cold add a windbreaker or neopren hoodie, that adds a lot of warmth (with this you could go down to 8 degrees or even lower, don´t forget boots and gloves). I also use a impact vest which adds additional warmth. You can do all this either with front entry or back zip suits. I use Pro Limit suits which are very easy to entry as front zippers, very flexible and not too expensive. Most important is perfect fit, so I´d try a couple of brands. On my personal relevant set next to Pro Limit (Vapor, Mercury TR) there would be O´Neill (PsychoTech, PsychoFreak), Xcel (Infinity, Drylock), RipCurl (Flashbomb), Billabong (Furnace Carbon). Apparently these are the high end models, but I´d always invest in maximum flexibility.
These users thanked the author Dirk for the post:
sergei Scotland (Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:38 am

No need for a hooded suit if you don't kite early in the year, a helmet or a beanie will do fine.

All you need is something like a flashbomb 4/3 for east central Scotland and 3/4mm atan booties, layers make up the difference if there's a cold front.
5/3 for a non-lined suit would do.

Im trying out a 4.5/3.5 mutant this season, very flexible.

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:40 am

I have Mystic Majestic 5/4 back zip and use it from April-May to September-October in Sweden. Never felt cold. Temperatures around 10-18C. Temperature feeling depends a lot on the wind. In 10-15 degrees days I use 3mm hoodie, 5mm boots. Impact vest- Dakine Surface gives some insulation too. Gloves should be thin or hands will get tired after 20-30 minutes or riding. When I am out of water- i put on old rain jacket that keeps me warmer.
These users thanked the author tomato for the post:

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:24 am

A 5/3 will be fine (I only need a 3/2 in those temperatures but as I'm only learning I don't spend as much time in the water).

An impact vest and wind smock helps with insulation on the coldest days (as with most outdoor sports, layering up can be beneficial). A hood might be nice on the occasional day but you'd also be fine with a helmet in those temperatures. If you go for a separate hood you have a little more flexibility.

Wetsuit fit is the most important thing. Too baggy and you end up getting a water flush every time you crash. Too tight and you fatigue quickly (and the suit wears out quicker). I believe the size charts for wetsuits are relatively accurate. You just need to measure yourself up and then go from manufacturer to manufacturer to find the brand that makes for your shape. As a more rugby player physique (big legs, broad shoulders), I find that NP design for me (which is a shame as they aren't cheap)

I prefer a back zip as I'm no longer a teenager and I'm too lazy to try and squeeze myself through an opening thats only supposed to fit my head. Plenty of modern back-zip suits still have a inner layer that fastens over your head to stop water flush - you just have a bigger hole to climb in
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:24 pm

I kite on the IOM year round and pretty much stick to a 5/3 steamer all the time. There was one single day last summer when I went out in shorts and an impact vest and it was magical :lol:
These users thanked the author Beardytello for the post:

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks, so I guess 5/3 would be optimal for West Scotland summer / early autumn 10-14 C water conditions. or I could try an internally lined / fleeced (?) 4/3 like Flash Mob I guess.
Thanks for straightening me out on the hooded WS, going for non-hooded one.
I guess hooded might be too hot in August with water at 14 and air at 18-20?

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:16 pm

Nothing2seehere- how does this internal back zip layer which fastens around your head works? Is it like a flat neoprene ring with a hole for your head? A picture would be nice as I did not come across this type. Which model /manufacturer does that - as an example or you could reccommend?
Does this make back zip completely water tight (almost)?

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:21 pm

I guess cheap models with nylon on inside and outside are not good because of windchill on the wet textile surface? Plus not stretchy enough?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:39 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:16 pm
Nothing2seehere- how does this internal back zip layer which fastens around your head works? Is it like a flat neoprene ring with a hole for your head? A picture would be nice as I did not come across this type. Which model /manufacturer does that - as an example or you could reccommend?
Does this make back zip completely water tight (almost)?
Its basically a stretchy neoprene layer that goes up your back behind the zip that you pull over your neck to create a tighter seal. I used to leave it undone when the weather was warm so I could get a cold flush of water by lying back in the water up till the time I bought a summer suit.

This Mystic video shows an example of it:

I'm hesitant to recommend as shape really does vary from brand to brand. In general more expensive suits are warmer but the technology (read how stretchy and yet waterproof it can be) trickles down to the cheap suits too. My £60 GUL is way warmer than my expensive wetsuit from 10 years ago. I like the single sided neoprene as its a bit warmer in windy conditions but its nowhere near as resilient and needs regular maintenance. That said my current NP winter suit is now 5 year old (although it has a few patches and I only use it when its cold now).
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
sergei Scotland (Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:04 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”